| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thoughts on relating. "the Best of the Best"...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 5:22 am    

I decided to post this here after reading about a possible "pros only"section some members proposed ... I am NOT trying to belabor that issue.. it is WELL covered on a thread in Feedback.

I would just like to say that I have a feeling the guys we consider the "World Class" players are a little uncomfortable with the groveling and boot licking we sometimes greet them with.

From what I have heard with my own ears,seen in print, and my own personnal discussions, it would seem they just want to play, discuss, and enjoy listening to the same instrument we ALL love.. no more no less...

I am as guilty as anyone I suppose, but just wanted everyone to share thier thoughts on this subject.... For some reason I think we see these guys as "unapproachable" , yet they put thier drawers on the same way as you and I..[except for the female steel greats I guess]..

NO names please, but I'll bet MANY other guys here have spoken to, or are friends with some of the icons of the instrument, and will back up what I feel to be true, That the truly great steel players among us want to be included as peers and friends, and not thought of some sort of demi gods to be slowly and cautiously approached without eye contact...

It seems thats the way we relate to the great players.
I guess I acted the same way, but from recent experience, it would seem to be somewhat misguided reverance.... any thoughts??? bob

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 5:46 am    

Hi Bob,

This is a thought provoking comment you made. But in all honesty, in the years that I have been poking around this forum, I have found the pros to be openly friendly and not hesitating to share their knowledge with the rest of us. While I don't see them post frequently (neither do I for that matter). I have seen John Hughey, Buddy, Paul Franklin, Stu Basore, Smiley of course, and many others post here on the forum.

While some want their privacy more than others, they all seem ready willing and wanting to talk if you post here. Not sure if you go to the steel shows, but one of the nice things about them is the accessibility of the players and their willingness to share.

Regards,

Mark T.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 10:10 am    

I don't think most folks tire of good compliments. And let's face it, don't you do a better of playing etc. if you feel good about everything? I want these guys to keep on doing what they do, creating great music and raising the bar. Hey, I'm getting close to Paul's lick on George's CD, (lst cut) and I'm grateful to him for the idea. To me it's one of the greatest feelings just to get a little of it. Thank you too Jay Dee and others.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 10:15 am    

WOW!! Mark,first of all,let me say a big THANK YOU for including me in that group of steelers. That's some pretty heavy company!

Let me relate a story to you.
Back in the early 60's,a major Country artist came to my home town to perform. The steeler was hitting some "licks" that were really interesting. I went backstage after the show & introduced myself to him,& asked him if he was using a foot pedal or knee pedal to get the change I was interested in. He came back with,"Yeah",& walked off.
From that day on,I made a vow that,if ANYBODY ever came up to me & asked me how I got a certain lick on the steel,I would,not only,tell them,I'd take them over to my steel & SHOW them. As far as the steeler mentioned above,I still respect his talent,as a musician,but I lost ALL respect for him as a person. I will say this much. He's passed away now,& is a member of the SGHOF.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 12:46 pm    

Smiley,
Not that I'm anyway near the class of the 'biggies', but I would like to share this with you guys.
During the break in the show we did (Jim Reeves tribute), I jumped off the stage and started to make for the entrance to go and have a smoke. About halfway up the isle someone tugged at my arm and said to me: "there's a guy in the third row who wanted to know if he could go onstage to look at my steel. I said 'sure, just please don't touch anything'. I whatched the lady walk back to her seat, and started to help a guy get up. I then realised that he was blind. Boy, I forgot about the smoke and went back to them, and took the guy right up to the steel and placed his hands over all the parts all the while explaining their purpose. After the show the lady who approached me, again came up to me and thanked me profusely, saying that this guy has always been in love the steel sound, but has never 'seen' (or felt) one from close-up. Apparently he was in seventh heaven!
Must say I felt good in that I could bring someone else some happiness.
Regards,
nic

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied
CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"
CD "Steel Smokin'"
Veruschka's CD "Don't Dream it's Over"

Click here to E-mail us.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 1:41 pm    

Interesting subject, really. Let me relate a couple of my experiences. I remember reading an article about Curly Chalker in Guitar Player magazine years ago, and when asked about his setup, Curly gave most all of it, but the interviewer went on to say (and I'm quoting as close as memory allows) that "Curly chooses not to reveal the changes on his two vertical knee levers". Well, for a hacker like me, I guess his "secret" was safe, but I'm sure that most any pro that watched him play would not have been in the dark too long! Conversely, I was at a show where Buddy Charleton played a few years ago, and he answered every question I asked with honesty and genuine humility, so I guess that shows both extremes of player personalities.

In a recent thread, one poster was somewhat upset, and said he didn't like it when someone referred to one of his "idols" as just an ordinary person. I suppose that some of us do place certain players on a pedestal and "worship" them. But in the end, I think each player knows in his own heart and mind exactly how good he is. Sure, compliments are fine, but I do agree that some of the compliments border on fawning, and continuous verbal accolades by "groupies" come off more as sycophancy. These things probably do make some pro players uncomfortable.

In the end, like it or not, we're all just people. Nobody knows it all or can do it all. Some have extraordinary talents, some have just been very lucky, but most (like myself) just enjoy playing, helping others, and the fun and comaraderie that goes along with it.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 2:32 pm    

Another "slogan" I learned a long time ago:
"NEVER start believing your own press releases!"

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 2:58 pm    

My experience is most every steel player I have talked to is always willing to share and talk about what they do with other players regardless of stature or claim to fame. I have always believed that this is because no matter who it is nobody was born playing steel. Even the greats paid their dues practicing and learning how to play. Of course it came easier to some than others and some started younger than others. I have never been turned away by any steel player. We are all travelers on the same road. Some just getting on and some have been on for a long time. What we share is a great gift and I feel very lucky to be part of this jouney.

[This message was edited by Ron Sodos on 28 November 2005 at 02:59 PM.]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 3:00 pm    

We sometimes tend to forget that our idols are also people with the same kinds of needs and problems we all have.

I remember in 1988 or 90, Winnie and I were having lunch at the convention. Winnie was in the process of getting divorced from his first wife, and was quite upset about it. The more he talked, the more emotional he became, and was very close to the point of tears when somebody ran up to him and interrupted our conversation to ask him about the purpose of the E to F raise.

Winnie was gracious, but I could see he was really peeved about the incident.
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 3:11 pm    

Quote:
From that day on,I made a vow that,if ANYBODY ever came up to me & asked me how I got a certain lick on the steel,I would,not only,tell them,I'd take them over to my steel & SHOW them.

I was a young beneficiary of Smiley's vow when I opened a show for Tommy Overstreet back in the 70's... That's how I learned the "Bosstone String Section " trick ...I've never forgoten Smiley's openness and willingness to share.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2005 3:16 pm    

Donny's story reminds me of my first encounter with Sneaky Pete. After a show at the Golden Bear, I came up to the stage and hesitantly (since I knew NOTHING about steel) asked him a really simple question about how it worked and complimented him. He lit up like a Christmas tree and spent the next 20 minutes or so showing me everything there was to his steel, crawling over and under it, and sitting me down at it making me play a couple things he showed me. The last thing I said as I was leaving was thanks, to which he said - "no - thank you."

That's class.

Every time since then,when somebody has asked me about equipment or anything at a gig, I have taken as long as necessary to help them and answer their questions.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2005 4:41 am    

I've already said: I wouldn't want a 'pro's only' section if Bob Carlucci weren't in on it.

My point being, I'm interested in what WORKING steelers do, and it doesn't matter how famous they are. I don't know them.

So if one bears that in mind and keeps the discussion on the material aspects and avoids the fawning--what they do, and not who they are--everything is OK.

Timing is everything.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2005 6:17 am    

Different levels. I am a nobody, little, miniscule, "in the background" newbie, and I am so proud, someone came up to me at a church function and looked at my steel, and asked what it was. I got to be the hero for about 30 seconds, as I explained what it does, ect. Different levels. Same pants, one leg at a time.