| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How has your playing changed over the years?
Charles Turpin

Mexico, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2005 11:30 am    

When i was young it was my desire to be like people that where my heros.But When i started i new i could never be a Paul Franklin or a Tom Brumley. But I tried my best to do there licks the things they did on records. But I guess since i have turned 52 this year I learned I could never pick just like them people and it has slowed me down a lot. But now I sit back and enjoy more of the beauty of the way the guitar is played. John Hughey i think it was that said" The steel guitar doesn't realy need a lot of effects, cause it is a beautiful instrument itself." I think that is what i have learned down through the years and i search for more ways to do a lick and an instrumental cause you would be surprized at what harmonies is out there that could have been put in them songs that the other people didn't have the time to explore with when they made that record. So that is what i got today. I realy don't work on hot licks that much anymore as i do the stretched intervals like one person above me said. There is a lot of beauty in that style of playing. Over the years i think that is the most important thing i have learned, is that speed isn't always the best thing to appeal to a person

------------------
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2005 4:19 pm    

When I started playing the psg, there wasn't the info out there as there is now. It's getting harder for me learn new things at this point, especially on the C6th, for some reason. So what I've done is collect the material needed to intelligently play the psg. I have a grandaughter, graduating from Ga Tech next month, reads music and plays piano and several wind instruments and wants my psg someday. Well she is going to get it only she will have the material necessary to "get 'er done".
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2005 4:58 pm    

Thanks for all the replies, everyone, and especially Bob H and George R for their really kind remarks.

One thing though, when I refer to "the fire" I'm not really referring to speed, I mean more just the ability to really sink yourself 100% into it and play with power, conviction, force, etc. I've watched Curly Chalker play songs where he just played chords and a few single notes, even ballads, and yet he played with that kind of fire. I don't mean to say you have to be a Curly Chalker (no one else will ever be!) to play with power and conviction or "fire" as I called it, many excellent players are today, but I seem to be just losing the energy or enthusiasm or something...

Probably I just need to get something going that can inspire me. I've always played off the band. Playing to tracks or a band with no "groove" just isn't the same for me.

The Mexican band I'm gigging Saturday nights with (on regular guitar) sure has a groove, but no room for steel.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 21 November 2005 at 05:00 PM.]