| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  did this happen to anyone else
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 1:24 pm    

when you started learning to play the steel did you ever get so fixated on getting the notes to sound right to the point that you where playing them soooo slow that it made it imposable to make it sound like it should . for example strings 3 & 4 fret 8 e- lever to fret 6 no lever then back to fret 8 ....this might take me a few secounds to complete i would sound like h...l no matter how hard i tryed after a long time i got it in my head to just pick the dang thing and move on ... well lo and behold my playing started sounding better ... i had been stuck striving for perfection when i should have been learning the motions then worrying about perfecting the notes later
the example above is just one of many that i had this problem with
i think that many times we get so hung up on trying to sound like the masters that we forget to learn the motions ( for lack of a better term ) my playing is finally starting to progress

------------------
ZumSteel
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2005 10:56 am    

Yes. I am just a beginner and have been using Joe Wrights approach to the Steel and Dick Meis books/cd's. I tune the steel to were it's the best I can do. Then I start working the motions and building up the muscles to that after a few months my motions become smoother and the tone rings through. The steel is physical instrument.

------------------
Thomas 8/5 Beginner

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2005 10:57 am    

Yes. I am just a beginner and have been using Joe Wrights approach to the Steel and Dick Meis books/cd's. I tune the steel to were it's the best I can do. Then I start working the motions and building up the muscles to that after a few months my motions become smoother and the tone rings through. The steel is physical instrument.

------------------
Thomas 8/5 Beginner

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2005 9:54 am    

Hi Calvin. Glad you're finally getting it. Enjoyed the visit at Donnie and Wanda Duncans 50th in Pueblo West last August. Zum, huh? You really have come up in this steel guitar world.

------------------
Mullen D10-8/5
Sho-Bud S10-3/4
Evans Amps
"Making The Stars Shine"