| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The 32nd Annual PSGA Show
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 5:13 pm    

I'm gonna kick this one off......

And this one was a doozy (doozie?) Every player in this show was no less than wondeful. Everyone who attended was no less than wonderful. The food in the restaurant was........less than wonderful. I knew I should have gone to Chuck's Steakhouse!

I have a lot of photos to post, so while I'm preparing them, like I say to my girlfriend, "start without me".........
HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 5:20 pm    

Actually, while we're waiting, I'd like to post Craig Stock's concise and accurate summary of the event.......

*Russ Hicks & Randy Beavers- what great twin steels, I keep playing 'Splanky' off your R&R CD-what a song, Randy is an awesome player and love his gospel CD, lots of stuff today doesn't do much for me today, but this CD makes me feel excited again-Thanks Randy

*Joe Wright- What can I say, you are the best, you can do anything and do it twice as good as anyone else, yourself included, HaHa

*Herby Wallace-great as usual, I love the different stuff you play also. Are you sure you didn't grow up in the NY metro area? (Chuck's Steakhouse wants to hire you in their new advertising campaign!)

*Mike Sigler-A fellow Ohioan, didn't you know that most of the best Steel Guitarists come from the mid-west, you are a monster

*Jody Carver-What a show, showmanship to the Nth degree, what a treat to see a glimpse into the past, I just wish I could have seen it then. Thanks for entertaining us and I love the Hot Cub of America CD.

* Jim Cohen, 'the master of acceptable tone' the the 'King of taste'. Your set was great.You and the band did fabulous job on the Rollins & Parker tunes and the Hollies'"Busstop" You are great

*Lonnie Bennett-As great a player you are, you are even more as a person.you wowed everyone, and thanks to you and your band for being so nice to my son!

*The Q&A session was really great, a neat idea that has now been done for a few years. Some good stories and some tech questions. Bobbe S. had some great stories.

*Joe Wright had some great Charlie Pride's wife stories during his set also.

*Wayne Hetzler from PA was real impressive, he played extremely well and had a great sounding guitar.

*Jim Cohen had a great tribute to Winnie Winston that left few a dry eye in the audience. Our hearts go out to Jim for the recent loss of his sister also.

*and of course the house band, Fooch(how's your neck feeling?), Steve, Dave, Van, Bruce and Larry -always excellent, they can play it all, and more very, very well, and very tasty too.

*Thanks to Bob M, Mike Gross, and Jeff DeMaio, you guys carry the real weights onyour back and we all appreciate it.
See everyone next year. Craig Stock

[This message was edited by HowardR on 14 November 2005 at 05:25 PM.]

Rick Anderson

Niskayuna, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 5:48 pm    

Howard,
Can't want to see your pictures, Thanks for your time and for sharing them.
Rick Anderson
HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 5:53 pm    

You're welcome Rick.

Since Craig's summary was spot on, I'll just post the photos and make stupid comments....and if you don't find them funny, b0b told me that he'd refund your forum fee......

Mike Sigler

HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 6:00 pm    

I think I better post these quickly before b0b refunds my fee & kicks me out.......

Heeeeeeeere's Jody!

Fooch on fiddle, Dave Sonnenborn, drums

More on Jody and the Jerry Byrd Fender.....

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/008119.html

You think that smile on Bobbe's face is because he's playing so well and having a great time?

That smile is 'cause he just sold Jeff DeMaio's D10 Emmons........AGAIN!

Steve Alcott,bass  Dave Sonnenborn, drums

[This message was edited by HowardR on 14 November 2005 at 06:27 PM.]

HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 6:22 pm    

Poor Randy Beavers, all alone. His set was in the time slot where the back up band breaks for lunch Jeff DeMaio set up a cassette tape player that Randy played to. The only cassette available was "John Sousa Marches We All Love".......wasn't half bad!

Hey, anybody see my glockenspiel? Where's that back up tuba when you need it?

[This message was edited by HowardR on 14 November 2005 at 06:34 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 6:30 pm    

Astounding show, what wonderful people, the local talent was incredible also! Terry Sutton? Wow! A nice suprise, Jody was another great suprise, but the two days were full of wonderful suprises.
What a great time was had by all.
Thank you Bob, HowardR, Mike G., Pat B. Jody C., the great band and everyone. It was nice to go out on such a high note.
Bobbe
HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 6:37 pm    

Here's the real deal.....

Fooch, fiddle  Van Manakas, incredible guitar

[This message was edited by HowardR on 14 November 2005 at 06:39 PM.]

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 6:59 pm    

amen howard. randy who only practices in his spare beadroom and plays steel shows. the confirmation to me that traditional distrubution of music is so dead and so inconsequential - to me at least. probably why he and lonnie met in that higher place - because that's all they care about - and all i care about. thank you bob maickel!
HowardR

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 8:15 pm    

Can I get a witness?

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2005 8:31 pm    

As a side note, the guy that played bass for Lonnie(P.J. Fletcher), is Robert Randolph's cousin.

------------------
Regards, Craig

[This message was edited by Craig Stock on 14 November 2005 at 08:31 PM.]

Mike Gross

Manchester, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 3:12 am    

Howard,

Your pictures are a close second to the wonderful weekend of music itself.

Bobbe, Randy, thanks so very much for the kind words. Bobbe, we are spreading the news about your ancestors to all in Seymour, CT. They now have something to be really proud of.

------------------
Mike
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 4:37 am    

My only regret was that I wasn't able to stay the entire weekend. Judging by the pictures, I missed a lot. Next year, I'll reserve the whole 2 days.
HowardR

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 4:40 am    

More to come this evening. Dang work gets in the way......

I also want to share the sentiments stated by Ed (ebb).....

I cannot imagine NOT having this show each year. If it weren't for Bob Maickel, Jeff De Maio, John & Darlene De Maille and those who volunteer their time & eforts, we'd have NOTHING! There would be such a void without the PSGA show in this area.

It takes very little (of us) to support the PSGA in terms of cost. To be and remain a member and to attend the show, is a small once a year expense that is the best investment we can make to keep steel guitar and great music alive.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 15 November 2005 at 04:51 AM.]

Mark Vinbury

N. Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 6:14 am    

One thought on the event--A few of the people I spoke with were interested to find and meet other Forum members at the show.

Despite the fact that it might give us some insight into the female perspective, I'm not a big fan of pinning a name tag on my chest. Is there some other way of putting faces with names for us Forumites at these events.

I also was thinking a SGF breakfast on Sunday AM might have been fun.
Do any other Steel Guitar shows have any Steel Guitar Forum presence or does the Forum ever have a table at any shows.
HowardR

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 6:37 am    

Mark, I like the idea of a forum breakfast....as long as b0b is not cooking...

I go to three shows a year and name tags are at all shows. I really can't think of any other way. There is a forum photo taken at Dallas and the HSGC.
HowardR

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 5:19 pm    

Russ Hicks & Randy Beavers

Gunsmoke.....one smokin' band!

Nick Di Maio Sr., Fiddlin' Fooch Fishetti (lookin' real dapper in them western duds) settin' in, Nick De Maio Jr., drummer is Gary Tokarz, Scott Tyler, Jeff De Maio

Each one of these guys is so talented, and together, they are so cohesive. Vocals by all, and strong,....twin guitar & steel in the tradition of Buddy Charlton/Leon Rhodes & Speedy West/Jimmy Bryant. Dang! I just can't get over what these guys do!

[This message was edited by HowardR on 15 November 2005 at 06:23 PM.]

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 5:59 pm    

I'm still looking for somebody who finished their coffee at one sitting. Talk about your caffein high!!!

Howard, what is that green lap a few threads up?

Ron
Mike Gross

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 6:05 pm    

Howard,

The Gunsmoke drummer is Gary Tokarz. Gary is a very good drummer that has been with the group about 20 years.

------------------
Mike
HowardR

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2005 6:25 pm    

Thanks Mike.

Ron, that's a Melobar 8 string.
Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2005 7:11 am    

I also want to say thanks to everyone who made my weekend so enjoyable. Howard picked us up at the airport for starters. John Widgren loaned me his Hybrid Zum for the weekend so I wouldn't have to fly my guitar. And to top it off, he allowed me to make any changes to his guitar I wanted. I'm not sure if that green paint will come off. Actually I made a few pedal setup changes so the guitar felt and played just like mine. That was a big comfort for the weekend. Then Mike, Bob and Jeff for organizing everything and keeping the show running smoothly. And last but sure not least, the audience for being so attentive and supportive to all the players. They came to hear the show and gave their undivided attention.

I look forward to returning to a PSGA show in the future.

[This message was edited by Randy Beavers on 16 November 2005 at 07:14 AM.]

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2005 7:38 am    

Delighted Randy. With my compliments, anytime.
I'm trying to coax some of the great music you made, back out of this horn.

Thanks to you and ALL of our wonderful artists, you honor us with your musical gifts.

Best wishes, JW
Mike Gross

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2005 8:10 am    

Randy,

Thanks so very much for the kind words and being a major part of our weekend. You were fantastic!

John,

You have plenty of your own great playing coming from that steel. Have you listened to that "Yellow Texas Moon" CD by the Western Caravan lately? If not, tune in and listen to mi amigo John Widgren doing some wicked licks

------------------
Mike

[This message was edited by Mike Gross on 16 November 2005 at 08:44 AM.]

Lonnie Bennett

Upstate New York
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2005 9:14 am    

I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to Bob Maickel, his wife and the complete staff for their fine hospitality. It was a pleasure seeing good friends such as Joe Wright, Bobbe Seymour, Terry Sutton Randy Beavers, Jerry Fessenden, Merle Record just to name a few and meeting new ones. Craig, it was my pleasure talking to your son. Hope to see him playing some day. The highlight of the show for me was sharing the stage with Mr. Randy Beavers. It was very humbling to play along side such a high caliber musician and great person on stage. Thank you very much Randy.
Yes the Lap steel in the picture is a Melobar 8-string which I will be replacing with an MSA 8-string SuperSlide to go along with my MSA SS 12-string I opened up my set with. Again thanks to everyone that made this a great show for me. Hope to see some of you in Arizona and Dallas.

------------------
Big Ben
Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2005 2:22 pm    

Lonnie, I too enjoyed sharing the stage with you. I enjoy your music, style and technique. Maybe some day we can do that again for an hour or so. That would be a blast!