| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA Awards/Paul Franklin
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 8:50 am    

In addition to playing on the upcoming CMA Awards next week in New York, Paul is nominated for the 14th time as Musician of the Year. While he has received this award from the ACM's, it's waaaay past time for him to get this from the CMA's. This year he is up against:

Jerry Douglas – Dobro
Paul Franklin – Steel Guitar
Dann Huff – Electric Guitar
Brent Mason – Guitar/Electric Guitar
Randy Scruggs – Guitar/Mandolin

All great players and great people, but no one deserves this more than Paul, and I'm just rooting for him and that this is finally his year (but he's been Musician of the Year in my book for a long time )...

[This message was edited by John Macy on 08 November 2005 at 08:51 AM.]

Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 9:20 am    

Does anyone else find it ironic that the best musician of the year voted by the Country Music Association plays an instrument that the Country Music industry producers seem to be trying to distance themselves from?

Anyway, best of luck to both Paul and Jerry.

Terry
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 9:37 am    

If someone knows the accurate version of this quote, I'd sure like to see it posted here.

Someone asked Chet Atkins a number of years ago who were the best musicians he knew and had been around.

His answer was something like "Jerry Douglas, Paul Franklin, and somebody you never heard of."

These guys are all great, but I don't think any of us mere mortals can say that Paul deserves it over Jerry and vice versa. Of course, there are a bunch of mere mortals voting on it so how do they know?

------------------
Mark
George Plemons

Corsicana, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 9:40 am    

Is there anyway to email support for Paul somewhere. This guy has been snubbed for this award WAY to long.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 1:19 pm    

He sure sounds good on Martina's new CD.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 9:05 pm    

Well, I'm a mere mortal and still think he deserves it. All of the other guys have won it at least once, if not more. But even that is not why he deserves it. The CMA award for Musician of the Year is for what the CMA is all about--modern, current country music. And you can't listen to modern country radio for more than a few minutes without hearing Paul (and Brent and others). There have been years that he not only played the most steel sessions, but the most sessions in town period. And I think it's a shame that the industry that votes for these awards does not recognize him for that (by the way, anyone actively involved in country music can become an active voter/member).

But heck, the main reason I think he deserves it is he is a brilliant player, and humble human being, and has/is leaving a major mark on country music...

[This message was edited by John Macy on 08 November 2005 at 09:06 PM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 9:12 pm    

It's weird seing Dan Huff's name up there.

A decade or so ago he was a big-hair L.A. Studio Shredder. I knew he left L.A., but kind of lost track. Had no idea he was playing country now.
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 9:40 pm    

'
Go, Paul. I hope you get it.

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 08 November 2005 at 09:41 PM.]

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 9:57 pm    

It will Be Paul. you can quote me on that.
Bill Bailey

------------------
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 5:18 am    

Well you have to wonder if the panel is judging the musicians on what they record or what they can really do?, and how would they know? Paul records great stuff full of taste and style, in fact, there are allot guys around town that can do the same ( white, smith, etc..) So maybe its about politics and the good ole boys... I see tons of great players both in the studios and in the clubs - all those boys and girls get my vote....How can you pick one?
By the way, Dan Huff is great at whatever he does and is one of Nashville top producers as well. A real talented guy and a sweetheart too....

Scaggs
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 6:42 am    

John, Thanks for posting this.
I agree totally with YOU, my friend!
Maybe this 14th nomination is the winning # for Paul.

John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 6:44 am    

Boy, I'm glad I don't have to decide who wins. Everybody on that list is fantastic. But I gotta say if it WERE up to me...Paul wins!! My fingers are crossed for that.
I'll be glued to the set next Tuesday.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 6:51 am    

I think 14 nominations is as good as an award itself.
It means those in the know are still in the know; and we know who's tops. Mark Knopfler knows. (Paul! Paul! [flicking bicks, and those little flashlights....]
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 7:27 am    

Ditto what Charlie said...there's a candle lit here for Paul.
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 8:35 am    

I think Paul would of had the same sucessfull carrier as he has right now regardless of what instrument he played, because he is a VERY TALENTED "MUSICIAN", he chose to play steel guitar, and i hope he whins this one for what he is.
Ted Solesky

Mineral Wells, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 9:09 am    

I'm rooting for Paul. He's as professional as they come.
Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 9:41 am    

Paul has my vote for sure and certain.
Gere
Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 9:42 am    

It's a grim commentary on the music biz that there are a whole bunch of categories for singers, producers, and the like, and only one for musicians. ONE for musicians! Pitiful. At least the Academy of Country Music has a Steel Guitar category, or at least it did last time I noticed, which was a long time ago.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 10:11 am    

I was not aware that Paul has never won it. For that reason alone he should get it. It is long overdue. I have never met the man, but everything I hear and read is that he is as classy a guy as Jerry Douglas, and they don't come any classier then Mr. Douglas.

I agree with you,Pete. Take the International Bluegrass Music Association. They have an individual award category for several instruments. They recognize the virtuosity of the players as much as the other categories of awards.

The CMA seems to be more about the front man or woman. It reminds me of that recording of the wild diatribe that Paul Anka went on, that someone posted here a year or so ago. He was lambasting his band, dropping f-bombs left and right, and telling them they were nothing without him, that the people come to see him, and he could fire them all today and get a new band for tomorrow night's gig.

I love pedal steel, but am also an incurable dobroholic. I brought up Jerry with Paul in the earlier post, and the paraphrased quote from the late Chet Atkins, because I believe there are a fair amount of steelers that hang out here that play little if any dobro, and don't realize what an amazing musician Jerry is. They may just assume that on a scale of 1 to 10 that Paul is a superior musician to Jerry because he plays the pedals. For that matter, Paul plays a pretty fair dobro himself!

I also know that there are plenty of members that are big Jerry fans, so there is no need for those of you in that camp to chime about it-I know you're out there!

But the bottom line is that it is criminal that Paul has yet to win the award-so I'll be rootin' for him too!

And you know what? It wouldn't surprise me if Jerry was rooting for him as well. At the Bluegrass Awards night in Nashville a couple of weeks ago, Phil Leadbetter won for best dobro player for the first time. This award has been owned for years by Jerry and Rob Ickes. The story was that the first guy to hop up and give Phil a hearty congratulation was Jerry Douglas. If Paul wins the CMA award, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens.

------------------
Mark

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 09 November 2005 at 10:14 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 09 November 2005 at 10:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 09 November 2005 at 10:21 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 09 November 2005 at 10:23 AM.]

John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 10:25 am    

Paul came into the club where I was playing in Everett, WA when he was on tour with Dire Straits. Said he missed country music. He sat in for a set and hung around after hours to "chat". He's the greatest. He MUST win!!! Long Overdue.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 1:48 pm    

Quote:
Paul is nominated for the 14th time as Musician of the Year

Does this make Paul the Susan Lucci of the steel guitar?

------------------
www.tyack.com

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 2:31 pm    

Quote:
Does this make Paul the Susan Lucci of the steel guitar?

jeez Dan... I'm having trouble picturing Paul in a strapless gown.

Seriously, I hope Paul gets this award this time but what the heck, he's been number one in my book for a long time.

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 3:43 pm    

Dan,LMAO.
Richard
Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 6:47 pm    

Beg pardon, I do not agree that producers are trying to distance themselves from steel...mainstream country stations have alot of steel on them.
I'm surprised about the comment about Dan Huff..on a recall, he played the incredible lead on 'Summer's Comin' on Clint Black's 'One Emotion' album(I was thrilled to have been on that recall along with our piano player, Dane Bryant)...what was that, about '94? Dan has been in playing for years on country, and is now one of the most 'in demand' producers out there. His Dad has also arranged a ton of the music that has been produced out of Nashville...one talented family, to say the least!
And you know what John?...I literally had to flip a coin to choose who I would vote for...until I realized that Paul had not received this...both are soooo talented and are blessed by God with a gift that could not be otherwise achieved..so I went with Paul...sorry Jerry, I wish I could vote for both of you!

[This message was edited by Jeff Peterson on 09 November 2005 at 06:51 PM.]

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2005 8:57 pm    

My vote is for Paul, as well. If I could vote for this (I can vote for the Grammy's but not for this award).

------------------
www.tyack.com