| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Green Mountain Falls, Co.
Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2005 1:35 pm    

This is a long shot? But I worked at the mountain music opry in Green Mountain Falls, Co. in the summer of 1972. I have forgot the steel players name that played there that year. The show was sponsored by KPIK radio in Colorado Springs. I know this was a long time ago, but if anybody has any information I would appreciate it. From what i remember he reminded me of Sonny Burnette.
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2005 3:05 pm    

Could it have been Larry Morgan? Biford Gordon? Snaz? Then there was Mac that had the music store. Where is Geo Sypert? Bet he would know??? Regards, Fred
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2005 3:07 pm    

You're posing this question to a bunch of guys that can't come up with the steeler for Gene Clark?

------------------
Mark

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 03 November 2005 at 03:18 PM.]

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2005 5:41 pm    

Mark, Was Clark or his steeler in the Colorado Springs area around 1972? Might be a place for you to find the answer.
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2005 6:20 pm    

Hello Fred,
To Jack: In Sept 1972 I started working at KPIK radio. I cannot remember what year the Green Mountain Music Show started. My friend Al Kelley wound up owing it and it may have been about 72. If so the steel player possibly could have been Marty Martin. Not sure now. A fellow from Branson came out here and started the show and I think that was about about 70 or so. He brought in a steel player that was a good player but I don't recall his name. I don't think I ever got to meet him as I was working every weekend at the time. The original owner wanted me to break up my band and me and the guitar player come work for him but I refused. Funny, the bass player he didn't want is the one who wound up buying him out.
Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2005 6:39 pm    

Hello George, thank you for the feedback. All I remember is the steel player was very good, lived on the side on the opry building in a motorhome, was very tall and lanky. One of your DJs was the comedian clown on the show the year I was there. I believe he was a dj in the morning. It was good show but I think 72 was the last year.
Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2005 9:42 pm    

It might have been Russ Hayes??? He was a tall lankey curley headed guy.
He just passed away here in Pueblo, Co. about 2 years ago or so??
I don't know if this is who you are talking about ??? But I hope it helps??
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2005 4:31 pm    

Tall and lanky ??? How about Jack Clay or Billy Reel? Fred
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2005 6:19 pm    

Fred how can you remember all those names. Jack Clay was playing fiddle in the first band I ever played in here in Colorado Springs. Sadly Jack has passed on. Last I heard Billy Reel was in Branson. One thing for sure though neither of these guys ever had a Motor Home to live in. I will make a call tomorrow to a source that I think will know the name of the steel player that year. Fred did you also know Al Kelley a bass player here in that time frame. I hope to get to spend more time with you in Texas this year. George

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2005 6:31 pm    

George, Yes I remember Al and also another picker named Dorsey. Who could that have been? Colo Sprgs was a great place to play in the 50's and 60's.It slowed down some in the 70's. I don't remember you at KPIK.What years were you there? "Slingshot" Kenny Randall and Bill? James.I had so much fun in that town.Of course playing with Whit Taylor was a hoot anywhere.We left there and played in Iowa about 3 years.He was killed shortly after he went to Illinois.Look forward to seeing you in Texas. Regards, Fred
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2005 6:39 pm    

George, I just remembered something that happened one night in Security.We were playing the Legion and Jack Clay was playing steel and fiddle.If you remember Jack was known to drink a little,maybe even more than a little.He stood up from the steel and was going to play fiddle on a song and as I was singing he fell over backwards,over his steel and knocking it down,and continued to knock his fender amp off the chair and the reverb exploded.He never moved a hair and he looked about 8' long laying there on the stage.We just drug him off the stage and continued.A pleasant memory. Regards, Fred
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 10:50 am    

Jack I found the info you wanted on the steel player at Green Mountain Falls. His name was Paul Rickey. Warren Stokes was the owner at the time. Paul did live in a motor home and played there about 3 seasons as I recall.
Now I need some info from you. Shanna Lawrence played bass for me in Nov 66 thru Mar of 69. She passed away recently in Reno. I am curious if you ever ran into her or heard her play out there. As Gene Jones will attest to she was a mighty fine bass player. You can email me at the above address.
Hope this was what you wanted to know. George
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2005 4:53 pm    

Bump for Jack.
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2005 4:47 pm    

Jack is your email address posted on the forum correct? I tried to email you several days ago but it came back.