| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why I am unhappy with my steel playing..
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 12:11 pm    

I started so long ago.. 28 years.. I should be great/terrific/world class /legendary/by now. Not just competant/not bad/ok/pretty good/decent etc. I blame it on bands. I got into playing steel full time in bands about 3 mo. after I bought my first one. I had to play steel,sing,and play lead guitar,in cover bands for the next 27-28 years. Still at it as a matter of fact. Always on the way to the next gig. Never time to perfect what I had learned quickly early on. Just copy the licks off the tape and lets move on to the next song. Learn some nice sweet sounding steel guitar instrumentals?? .. Can't do that!.. The little chickies won't dance to them! And if the chicks can't dance, they don't come to see the band! And if the honeys don't come around the beer drinkin' boys don't either.. 2+2= END OF BAND! So here I am at 49,soon to be 50,still playing the Rusty Young/Buddy Cage/Tom Brumley licks I learned in 1975. Almost No conception of real steel guitar music although I have raised 4 sons on what I have made playing the damn thing. I need to keep aware of the fact that although I have good physical control of the instrument,I know just about nothing of the way the great steel players use it. One thing thats always happened to me.. For as long as I remember other steel players would say to me "Hey man you're a real good guitarist"! [meaning my 6 string playing]and my guitarist friends would say " I really like your pedal steel playing"... now I feel inadequate on both.. Today I think this meant that I could fool the guitar guys into thinking I could REALLY play steel and the good steel players into thinking I was actually proficient on standard guitar.. nowadays I'm not sure I'm all that good on either bob
Jack Dougherty

Spring Hill, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 1:14 pm    

BOB....

Unless you played steel for a living...and I mean really relied on it for income, your rowing the same boat many of us have been in for years......
So welcome aboard...All the players you have admired over the years have one thing in commom...selfless dedication to the instrument to the exclusion of all else. That equates to years of self denial. And if you want, ask any of them what they gave up for it all. Having said this, you probobly have nothing to be ashamed of with regard to your playing....there are more of us on the outside looking in then you think. This does not make us bad people. So if you wish to lement the years you have played and not "gotten better" go ahead. I for one will keep on picking and keep on listening to the great ones who made the sacrifice so I can enjoy what I do. And Bob although we have never met .....you play steel ....your my friend......NOW GRAB AN OAR!!!
Darrell Schmidt

Charles City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 1:35 pm    

at least you are playing!!!
i have played with this group for almost 3 years and we played the 27th. and on the 28th. i got a e-mail saying my postion in the band was being terminated for various reasons.boiled down money.
Darrell
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 3:26 pm    

Jack..thanks for the uplifting words.. they mean more than you might think!!! . Yes I did play steel and 6 string for 10 solid years as my only income. The point finally came when I realized I needed to get a"real" job,but playing still helps buy groceries around here. I hear the clips that guys post here and I think "Man!!! thats what I should sound like"!!] anyway,your kind words helped pull me out of the "funk" I was in.... thanks bob
Jack Dougherty

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 3:27 pm    

Any country band who does'nt know the value of a steel............I'd say your the lucky one!!!

------------------
There is no such thing as too many steels!!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 3:33 pm    

Bob: I've been playing since a teenager, in organized, adult bands. We did lots of great stuff. I have some of the finest equipment available now and a life time of dedicated study toward improving my playing skills. Bottom line: Guys with lesser experience and some with only basic student skills are working a gig here and there while I have to be content to watching others up there in the limelight. Play for the love of playing....and wring it out until you know it front/back inside/out.
You'll enjoy that more than playing with some hack band that doesn't know straight up.
Jack Dougherty

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 3:34 pm    

Bob

your on the way to recovery..... I stopped wanting to play like Buddy five minutes after I heard him....
so I started to be like me instead......lifes so much simpler now...

JD

PS: previous reply for Darrell

------------------
There is no such thing as too many steels!!
Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 4:10 pm    

Bob, your opening post describes EXACTLY what I feel like most of the time! My new years resolution is to MAKE myself go down to the basment and play with Band in a Box and maybe actually USE some of the instructional material I have collected over the last 30 years!
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 4:43 pm    

Bob:
I hope this is of some help. I work full time as a high pressure welder. I've been playing steel since the age of 14, and now suddenly I'm 58. I get the most enjoyment when I do my solo thing, for various nursing homes, rehab centers around Franklin,Fulton, and Adams county here in Pennsylvania. I also work with a band ,quite similar to what you've described. Learn the licks, and move on to the next tune. Although they are all top notch players, doing the solo thing cant be beat. I can be myself, play MY style, and most important,,,,it puts a smile on losts of face's. be yourself and happy in your own heart. and as said in another post,,,Grab an oar.!!!! God Bless

Joe

Derby SD-10 4X5, Nashville 400,Fender blackface twin, Lexicon MPX 100,Profex ll
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 7:53 pm    

Bob,

The great jazz guitarist Joe Pass always mentioned how he lost 10 or 20 years to drug use. He made it back up in his later years of playing. Chet Atkins beat cancer when he was 50ish and quit his exec gig at RCA to spend more time playing the guitar like he started out to do but 20+ years of coat and tie stuff had kept him from seriously working on like he thought he should have.

Never too late to put in some serious time on the instrument. Even the greats get a little side tracked and have to refocus.

The fact that you have made a living playing your instrument puts you in a success catagory that represents a fraction of 1% of all players. That stat is from the AFM. The rest of the 99+% of players are not able to make their entire living from just playing. They have other jobs to support their music. You have done something that few have.

You don't think you play as well as Atkins, or Emmons or Franklin?? Welcome to the rest of the 99+% of us! Still a lot of time to accomplish some of your musical goals if you want to put the work into it.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2004 10:05 pm    

Hi Bob, Wanna trade? I'm 49 in a couple days, and wish I had started learning steel 30 years ago. I have been after pedal steel for a year now, and I think I can tune it now, and do a little technique. I raised my kids running chainsaws for 29 years---climbing "widow maker" dead trees over houses. I wish I could have pursued music long ago, but am proud of being healthy enough to begin now at my age. Heck, I'm just glad I'm here!!
Nate LaPointe

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 12:12 am    

It kinda makes us question just what is music and being a musician anayways? I make a living playing the 6-string and have recently sat down to the psg and I am constantly asking myself questions like "am I a whore musican?" "would I be happier pushing paper?" "is this art?" "what is melody?"

I think it comes down to the fact that each of us gives and gets something different from music. We express ourselves in one way or another, and if we're lucky, someone else might pay some attention to it.

I can't wait to play my second recording session on psg next week, hopefully I'll be in tune! Keep on pickin'.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 1:26 am    

Quote:
Almost No conception of real steel guitar music although I have raised 4 sons on what I have made playing the damn thing.

My friend this is no small thing you state here. Something you should be quite proud of.
Not everyone had the opportunities that Paul Franklin was blessed with, or has traveled the course of Big E,
but you have done something many have not.
You have been a working journeyman on a most difficult instrument and kept hearth, home and family eating.

This sounds rather real to me.
You worked with the instrument professionally for decades.

If you at this stage start to do something just as you want to do it, and are happy with the end product, then you will have done something good also.

You can start today, and play it like your self.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 02 January 2004 at 01:27 AM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 2:21 am    

Quote:
I should be great/terrific/world class /legendary/by now.

I'll bet you are. You just don't realize it at the moment.

I start feeling the same way you do after my hard 24 years, sometimes, and then I see what those I consider "above me" are really faced with occaisonally, and I start rethinking.

Those 4 sons probably know how important you are. They know who you are for starters..

Hang in there.

EJL
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 6:32 am    

Bob I am 73 and started in 1945, I'm not there yet either. But I drive 300 miles a week to play for seniors to dance. They come uip hug my neck and tell me I'm the greatest. I am far from that but they enjoy it so I keep going for them.
We have no other steels players here so I just keep going.
We had a show her in Quitman Dec. 6th, and they enjoyed it very much.
After hearing all those great guys they still come up to me when they come in and hug and say hi, when they leave they come up and tell me by and how much they enjoy my playing. Some how I have them fooled.
I think you are successful you have made it pay, most of us do it for the enjoyment of making others happy.

Friend hav a great year and keep picking

ernie
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 7:09 am    

First, as has already been said, raising a family is a HUGE accomplishment in itself. Finding the right situations and knowing how to promote yourself to get to play a lot is a difficult skill in itself that most players don't have. Second, if you do want to seriously advance your abilities at this point, the experience and maturity acquired through the decades of playing will be invaluable. Between that and resources like the Internet, you can make big strides in short periods of time.

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 02 January 2004 at 07:10 AM.]

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 9:14 am    

Bob,
You and I seem to have started playing steel around the same time. Up until a few years ago, I was playing on a regular basis. Back in the 70's and 80's, I played 4-5 nights a week. In the 90's, in slacked off to 2-3 nights a month. Now, I play to amuse myself, and sometimes playing some steel shows.I have to tell you that, there is so much music to play on the steel, that, I'm not sure if we could possibly master it all. I thought I mastered what I needed to, until I heard someone else play the same tune with a different approach. Then I would start to incorporate that style with mine.You never stop learning with this instrument. I just recently got a U-12 steel, and let me tell you, it's a blast. A whole new world has opened up for me. Now, I'm not telling anybody else to go and buy a new steel, but, there is always something new to learn and freshen up your style. As repeated before. Stop trying to copy other players, note for note, and really concentrate on becoming your own style of steel player. We all can't be B.E.,P.F.,D.J.,T.W.,L.G., and on and on and on.
Sincerely,
John
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 9:42 am    

I think you're expecting to much of yourself. You must play better than the average bear or you would't still be playing.

Just a few people were born with the God given talent and determination to play like Buddy and other greats.

And I do know what you're talking about when you say you don't understand all you know about what you're doing when you're playing. You're not alone there at all.

Bob
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 9:44 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 13 November 2005 at 12:02 PM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 10:28 am    

Be the best YOU you can be. Not even Emmons can play with your personality. (he's stuck with his own )

It's frustrating to hear so many people who want to sound just like ***** (name an icon). You will NEVER do it. AND, it will be much harder to learn to see the instrument like someone else does. Be happy with anything you can bring to the sound of the steel guitar. You probably won't like YOU all the time. We all get frustrated from time to time -- even the best of us.

I love to listen to other players' great performances, but creating my own solos and fills and STYLE is much more important to me. That's the way I see it, in any case. Learn to appreciate your own style and develop and change it as you learn new musical ideas. DON'T GIVE UP. Good luck.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps
John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 1:19 pm    

Bob the day you are completely happy with your playing is the day you will stop becoming a better steel player. Even the best players practice and try to learn new or different things.
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2004 6:21 pm    

Bob,
We all go through the Blahs with our playing from time to time.Im sure that you must do pretty well if your still playing and gigin'
and just bought a new Carter.We all have a little self dought once in a while,its that human thing comeing out as it does every once in a while. Heck..sometimes I cant hit a bad note ,and the next time I cant hit myself in the ass with both hands!!
I tend to be too critical of myself and I think many others are of themselves also.
I never worry about playing just like my heros can.If I did they wouldn't be my heros anymore.All the majic would be gone and thats why we all began to play in the first place.I just try to play my own way and if I can make something that resembles music its cool!So... relax...snap out of it ,and enjoy
playing the way you "BOB" plays that tune. And if nothing else remember that no-matter what,youll always play better than me!!!
PS: also you may just be expierencing a little guilt(you just SOLD a Sho~Bud)

[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 02 January 2004 at 06:35 PM.]

Mark Switzer

Los Angeles California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2004 1:44 am    

I can`t remember where I read it, but Jeff Newman once said you should ideally buy a PSG and join a band on the same day. This was part tongue-in-cheek I`m sure, but I think his point was nothing takes the place of just DOIN` IT. I share teaching space daily with people with advanced degrees from Julliard,New England Conservatory,Berklee,etc. and I can tell you they all would second that.
There is no ONE way to learn except the one that you choose.
Mark
P.S. Young/Cage/Brumley may not be everyone`s top 3, but they sure fit my definition of "real steel music"!
M.
Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2004 5:52 am    

Bob, Jack said it real well and I'll second him on it when he said that he stopped wanting to play like Buddy five minutes after he heard him. I'm the same way. For years I played lead guitar. I finally broke down and went out and bought a steel since I couldn't find anyone in my area that played one. That was quite a few years back now. I am still in the business of playing although not like I would love to be. I envy you that for those many years you were able to make a living at it by just playing. I myself have never been that lucky. Someone came up to me once and told me that "I" was my own worse cridict. I found out that those words were very true. Plus if the truth be known about it. You are a better steel player than you give yourself credit for. I'll leave this with you. There are many people out in the world that will cut you down. You don't have to do it to yourself. I am glad that you're on the way to recovery. Now like Jack said "Grab and oar"!!!

------------------
Mullen Royal Percision D-10 Red Laquar Pearl inlay 8&8
Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 4:10 am    

Man I have been sitting here reading this post and the replies, this really hits home with me. I started playing psg at about the same time George Strait made his first hit. Man I tried my best to copy and copy was what I did for about three years playing music for a living. Well those three years I almost lost my family and decided to quit playing for a living. I floundered around trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and became a paramedic. I used to be happy with that work and did it to the best of my ability. After 15 years of emergency medicine I became severly burned out and quit. I spent the last three years learning as much as I could about the steel guitar and trying to play. Now I find there are no bands to play music with in this area anymore. No places to play. Now that I have the time to play steel for a living, the option is not available. Well moving would be ok if I was not the only one left to take care of my mother. I have almost given up playing. If it wasnt for our local club here I probably would have given it up last year. I keep practicing, I am not a great player, but I can play the darn thing. It is in my blood and I will keep trying to learn as much as I can about it. I dont know of any other instrument that is any where near as beautiful sound as psg. Wow what an instrument. My wife accuses me of loving it more than her. I dont love it more than her, but have found it has become part of me. It is part of what identifies me. I am 47 now and spend as much time as I can in the studio learning. Not so much learning the sound of the big guys but trying to learn the steel itself.