| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speedy West Tuning?
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 3:14 pm    

What tuning did Speedy use the most on the recordings with Jimmy Bryant? I know the Bigsby had three necks, but which tuning was his most common and favoured?

Also, what's the best steel set-up for this kind of playing? A lot of it sounds like straight steel, although I know the Bigsby had pedals. Is it better to use an 8-string non-pedal console, or dig in to the C6th neck and utlilize the pedals?

Thanks......

I want to start learning some of his licks, and want to at least get off on the right foot. I'm new to this early style, and I'm very interested in incorporating it into my playing.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 8:46 pm    

I have all three as provided me by Paul A. Bigsby in 1956. Could be different than the ones he used later with his different guitar. He was quite versatile and I'm not sure you can say he had a preference. He used what he wanted for what he needed at the moment.........that's they way the masters were.

[This message was edited by Ray Montee on 23 October 2005 at 09:49 PM.]

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2005 6:26 am    

Ray,

Can I email you for them? Thanks.....

Edit: I found a posting of yours with the tunings provided....thanks,

Chris

[This message was edited by Chris LeDrew on 24 October 2005 at 07:30 AM.]

Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2005 8:22 am    

Speedy was my friend and somewheres I have tunings he used. I moved recently and will find later. Speedy was an original. He prefered tunings more inthe 6th and 13th modes but told me that he thought the E9th was the most beautiful sounding tuning. He was different and liked to do things his way. He could not read music, and played it all off the top of his head and from the heart. He had a great GOD given talent for creativity. I miss him!

Terry J. "Woody" Wood
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2005 3:09 pm    

Terry,

You must be proud to have called Speedy your friend. I am in awe of his playing, having wore out the Speedy/Jimmy Bryant CD, "Slidin' on the Strings". He was such an innovator, and sounds as fresh today as he must have sounded way back then. I would have loved to meet him. May his memory live on forever.

P.S. I did a radio show yesterday with my National lap steel (C6/A7), and did a few descending bar bangs on the strings....I cracked myself up. I had to give Speedy credit when the other guys raised their eyebrows, wonering what I was doing.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 7:33 am    

Chris, I was raised on a small farm at a place called Conway, MO. Speedy had a farm at Strafford, MO about 25 miles up the road. I met him when I was about 21 years old and we remained friends for almost thirty years.

While is mother was still living at Springfield, MO we used to go up there and hang out with him. He used to tell the most funny stories and had a great sense of humor. And of course he loved steel guitar, showmanship, entertaining people and he loved steel guitar players. It really bothered him when he had to quit playing live. After his stroke and partial paralyzes he could not perform live. Fortunately, I thank GOD that I got see him perform live. He was a Master Showman. One of the best I ever saw or worked with. Shoji Tabuchi International Japanese/Branson MO star was another that I believe was truly gifted to entertain audiences. I worked and recorded with Shoji two years and he was a Master Showman too.

Speedy was such an original. He had two steels one he willed to his youngest son Gary "Speedy" West Jr. The other he said he willed/donated to the International Steel Guitar Hall of Fame for their Museum or Building whenever it is finished. One steel was bright red and the other blue. They were custom built BMIs built for Speedy by the late Zane Beck.

Zane's widow Faye Beck Milsap told me that Zane's keyless was willed or donated to Scotty too for that Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Museum. Zane's was the first keyless steel I ever saw. It was pretty lime green in color. I painted his portrait with that steel guitar shortly after his death. He was my good friend too. I still play the 14 string BMI that Zane custom built for me 1984; it was like the late Julian Tharpe's.

Yep, Speedy and Zane and Julian were all originals. And I miss them all dearly!

Terry J. "Woody" Wood
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 5:53 pm    

Thanks for sharing that, Terry. You must have some very fond memories of Speedy, and many other influencial steelers. I really enjoyed reading it.

Regards,

Chris
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 5:42 am    

Chris to give you an idea what a showman Speedy was, I'll share a story from him.

Speedy said when he first went to California 1940's and got involved with Tennessee Ernie Ford and others on The Home Town Jamboree and during early Television days 1950's, he installed wheels on his Bigsby Steel and had them roll him out on stage, while he was playing as the show curtains went up.

Also I remember the first time I was watching playing live at the International Steel Convention 1977, he would be playing, and take a towel and literally spank his steel guitar. He was a master at sound effects on the steel guitar. I don't mean alot of electronic gadgets they have these days either. He could use simple things like a bar towel, a comb, a glass or beer bottle, and get all kinds of effects sounds out of a steel guitar. He was a Master of the volume pedal also. I know Zane Beck installed a do-wah control on the end plate of his steels, because Zane built one on my steel like Speedy's. In the old days, I think he even had a Bigsby with a flip out cigarette ashtray built on his steel.

He told me a funny story once about when he was a youngster about 12 years old. His mother caught him smoking cigarettes. He told me that his mother said, 'Speedy come here! Now blow out!' Speedy said she knew before I ever did that, I was caught." He was really funny. Just a simple little stories like that; he was full of them. I miss my friend, Speedy West.

GOD bless!

Terry J. "Woody" Wood
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2005 11:41 am    

Oh man, the wheels on the steel is just too much. When I look at pictures of him, I wonder how he carried that wooden front piece around. I picture somebody transporting that Bigsby like a piano or something, never being broken down. It's a very regal instrument.

I boke out my wah pedal the other night, trying to get that sound effect like on "T-Bone Rag." Never came close, but I sure had some fun trying.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2005 9:27 am    

Chris,

Speedy was a Master of the Volume control/Do-Wah Sounds!

Woody
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2005 6:41 pm    

Terry Wood: Would you please do all of us Formites a great favor and post either a photo or diagram of Speedy's "Doo-Wah" device? We've all wanted to know how it was done. When was this device created and first installed?
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 10:53 am    

I'll bump for an answer from Terry.