| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Casey Clark
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 7:45 am    

My friend Rob Bourassa played guitar for Casey Clark about 15 years ago. I believe Paul Franklin and Buddy Emmons played steel for him. Anyone else here play for Casey? Casey told Rob that he sounded just like his old buddy George Barns.

[This message was edited by Russ Tkac on 19 October 2005 at 04:09 PM.]

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 2:16 pm    

I used to sit in my car at Noon in Minneapolis & listen to a live radio show in 1958, It was the Casey Clark show from Yankton, South Dakota, The steel player was my long time friend, "who I didnt meet until a few years later", Terry Bethel, Terry must have been about 19 or 20 at the time! Great Memories? I got a Jillion! Al Udeen
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 5:45 pm    

Russ, I had a friend who passed away last year that played guitar for Casey Clark and the Lazy Ranch Boys. His name was Mr.Chuck Carroll. He was with him way back there. Also I have a friend down the road who played with Casey also during this time frame. He is Mr. Jimmy Work. HE wrote" Making Believe" a big hit for Kitty Wells and also wrote "On the Tennessee Border". When Jimmy wrote these songs all the band recorded these songs first before they became hits. During this time Buddy was playing steel for them. You can go to Buddy Emmons website and hear a cut with all of them during this time with Chuck on guitar and vocal, Jimmy on guitar and Buddy on steel. Just a little piece of history and glad you brought it up.
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 6:14 pm    

Rob and I visited with Chet Atkins at the Chet Atkins convention in 1993. Rob was telling Chet that he was playing for Casey Clark and Chet commented..." Is that old bugger still alive?"
Tom Stolaski

Huntsville, AL, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 11:42 am    

I played with Casey Clark around 1984 in the Detroit area. His daughter was playing drums and doing some square dance calling at the same time. Casey played the hell out of that fiddle. I enjoyed every minute of it. He also had a few great Buddy Emmons stories to tell. Some of them I would not want to post on this forum, if you know what I mean.
Tom Stolaski

Huntsville, AL, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 11:55 am    

oops!

[This message was edited by Tom Stolaski on 22 October 2005 at 03:27 PM.]

Al Carmichael

Sylvan Lake, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2005 1:55 pm    

I met Casey twice. The first time, I was playing in a country group in Ann Arbor. We had a female fiddler named Lisa Silver and Casey sat in. It was amazing. Just by watching her hands, he tracked perfect harmonies with everything she played! I'd never seen such a thing.

The second time, Casey had a house gig up in Port Austin and the band I was playing with had a gig nearby. We all got together and hung out for the afternoon. Casey cooked us some fabulous food and we had a great time. He was a guy that made you feel real comfortable--like you had been friends for years.
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 9:38 am    

Thanks Russ and Kenny, for the info on this post. I always wondered where Jimmy Work and his music originated. An all-time legend 'Making Believe'--and classic sound of fiddle/steel interplay-- one of the best ever, done by so many great artists. Great tribute to its creator. JZ
Gary Morse

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 2:29 pm    

I played pedal steel for Casey Clark in the early 70's in Detroit. His daughter (Evelyn) was the drummer and I took over Billy's chair for about a year. His son Billy was an excellent steel player and went to work with Little Jimmy Dickens at the time if I recall correctly. We played some real dumps,too. The Caravan on 6 Mile Road and also Myna's in downtown Detroit. Lot's of guns and knives in those places. Some horrific fights,as well. Just the same, the experience was one I still draw on to this day. Thanks for bringing to light some of Casey's amazing history.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2005 10:08 pm    

Under 50's & 60's on the Fun Stuff page, there is an MP3 of "Hey Now" by Casey Clark.

And More Casey Clark! Check this, too!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Chuck Rich

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2005 6:18 am    

Russ, I work with Casey when he still had his morning radio show on wjr and tv show on cklw on friday nights. I worked with him from about 1956 to late 1958,shortly afer Buddy left to go with Dickens. I later moved to Cincinnati and was staff steel player on Midwestern Hayride on wlw Tv and Radio and still play in Cincinnati area. I'm originally from Lapeer, Michigan.
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 4:57 am    

Here is a picture of Chuck Carrol who played with Buddy in Detroit. Chuck moved to Paducah KY and we would get together and jam with some of the local players at least twice a week. Chuck loved to play twin guitar with me and Gene Turner. He was a great lead picker with lots of character and great tone. Chuck often talked about the days of playing with Buddy and Chuck Rich. He had a tape of some of the band with Chuck Rich and him and it sounded like the Troubadors band with the twin steel stuff. He will be remembered by all his friends.

http://usera.imagecave.com/stinkey/Forum/ChuckCarroll2.jpg

[This message was edited by Dan Dowd on 27 October 2005 at 06:00 AM.]

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 6:58 am    

Dan,

My friend Rob heard the clip with Casey, Chuck and Buddy and asked who the guitar player was. Rob said, "I don't know who that is but I've stolen all his licks!"

Russ
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 12:52 pm    

Yeah Russ,Rob used to jam with us also. Ole red sox plays pretty good also, Steel and Lead. I don't have to mention his singing.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 9:36 pm    

It'd be great to get a complete discography of all the songs Buddy recorded with Casey Clark. Does anyone here remember Lonnie Barron, wasn't he also from Detroit area? I have some recordings of him where the steel player sounds alot like a young Buddy Emmons. Maybe that was Casey Clark's band on those cuts?
Chuck Rich

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 5:58 am    

This is an interesting post for me. I worked with Lonnie Barron about 1955. He had a dance hall in Richmond Mich., and did bookings in Canada. When I went to work with Casey Clark, Terry Bethel took my place with Lonnie. Lonnie was murdered by a carpenter who worked for him. Lonnie had some recordings and mild hits at the time,but I can't remember who played on them.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2005 10:48 pm    

Chuck, I have an old Crown LP of Lonnie's recordings, and on the flip side there are some Casey Clark tracks. It's called "In Memorial To Lonnie Barron". I think they were originally recorded for Sage & Sand label. One of the songs "Teenage Queen" sounds like Grady Martin on the guitar. But I think Al Allen also might have played guitar on those recordings. Anyone know Al Allen? Fine guitar player from Detroit, my buddy Graig "Bones" Maki has released a nice cd of Al's instrumental recordings from the 50's. I think he also put out a 10" vinyl Lp of Lonnie's recordings.
r johnson

flatrock mi
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2005 1:47 pm    

I remember Chuch Rich getting out of high school early on Friday to go to Detroit to do the Casey Clark Show. Probably the only teenager to ever be on the work co-op program playing steel guitar. What an educational experience. check out www.hearinghank.com
Chuck send me your email address
rejgfi@charter.net
Your Farnsworth buddy
Dick Johnson