| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who was Paycheck's steeler circa "60-62"
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 8:48 am    

The CD "The Beginning", a collection of Paycheck's earlier recordings, many apparently un-released,have some incredible steel licks. It doesn't sound like Lloyd Green to me.

By the way, there are songs on this CD that'll give you goose-bumps...they're that good.He was an unbelievable artist in that era.
Dan Sliter

Dardanelle,Arkansas
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 3:31 pm    

IF, i am correct Bobbe Seymour played with Johnny but i dont remember when.
B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 7:46 pm    

I am not quite sure of the year but, Paycheck did some recordings while working for George Jones. He used the "Jones Boys" as the recording band. Sonny Curtis is the steeler on "A-11" plus several others. Maybe Sonny can get on here and give us the scoop.

Greg
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2005 6:55 pm    

Not to high jack the thread but.. When did Paycheck become Paycheck. I was on the Midnight Jamboree with him in February of 1959 and he was Donny Young. He sang a song about " Each night I'm on this mountaintop, the one we used know"
I think I still have the old 45
of that ,it was done under the name of Donny Young..Just wondering..

Old Bud
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2005 12:49 am    

These recordings were made by Paycheck before the Little Darlin' label started in 1965, but Aubrey Mayhew bought them and added them to the LD catalog, that's why they now appear on the Koch LD reissues.

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Oct 2005 6:00 am    

"....I watch the city's bright lights down below ..." Wow! Willis, I cut my (psg) teeth on that song. Didn't know anybody remembered it 'till now ..
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2005 8:28 am    

Willis,

Here is how Johnny Paycheck became Johnny Paycheck, as received by Lloyd Green:

Quote:
He was born Donald Lytle, adopting the name Donny Young sometime in the late 1950s. Aubrey Mayhew conferred on him the name, Johnny Paycheck. This was the name of a middle-weight professional boxer in New York during the 1950s who had a great name, but was never very successful as a fighter. Paycheck, the singer, achieved the success Paycheck, the hapless boxer, never could.

Kind Regards, Walter

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2005 3:16 am    

Walter:
Thank you so much for that information. I never really knew the whole story.I do know that on that Feb 1959 date at the Midnight Jamboree ,Lloyd was the steel player for Justin. He was kind enough to let me play his Double eight Rickenbaker that Shot has added two pedals to.We were all impressed with Donny Young that night. I don't remember how old he was but I think he was not yet 20.
Barry: I was so impressed with that "Mountain Top" song that for years I sang it. I still remember the words.

Old Bud
Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2005 4:08 am    

let's see, there was Johnny Bond, Johnny Dollar, Johnny Cash, then Johnny Paycheck. any more? a modern version would be Johnny Credit-Card or Johnny Junk-Bonds.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2005 4:55 am    

.. or Johnny PayPal

Oh well, back to the topic; wasn't Paycheck ( or Donny Young ) a member of the Cherokee Cowboys in -60-62. Could it be Jimmy Day or Buddy Emmons on these early recordings?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2005 6:32 am    

The word I get, from Jimmy Peppers, is that "Paycheck" and Darrell McCall, who are both from the same area in Ohio, came to Nashville as the "Young Brothers" duo. From what I gather that didn't last long and they went their own ways, although they were close friends to the end.

I had a picture of the "Young Bros" that Smiley Roberts sent me but I can't find it and Smiley is off line until he gets a new PC.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 03 October 2005 at 08:49 AM.]

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2005 8:44 pm    

Doug Jernigan traveled with Paycheck on the road back in those days, but; I think it migt have been a little later than 1960. Doug started with him just after he got out of the U.S.Army.

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2005 10:39 pm    

Speaking of Paycheck, he was much more than "Take this Job and Shove it". He had a really great feeling for country blues singing.
Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 4:54 am    

Hey "Soybean" he was a great songwriter too.

Such as "Touch my heart".

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 5:21 am    

Paycheck was also a pretty good pedal steel player too in case nobody here knew. I think he played a Sho-Bud, sure wish I had some pictures. A very good friend of mine (Joe Diamond) lived in Phoenix back in the 50's-60's and Paycheck stayed at his house when he was on one of his rolls. Joe said he looked just terrible but could really play the steel guitar. I'm not sure but I think he played for Joe some back then when his career wasn't on the ups. Joe works around town here and has forum member Cal Sharp as his steel player.

[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 08 October 2005 at 06:22 AM.]

Will Brumley

Hubbard, TX
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 7:27 pm    

New to the forum. Just wanted to say what a nice thread. As a young artist (age:23) I am a large fan of Paycheck. The man never got the recognition he deserved. Anyone know if any of his early recordings are available, of any form.
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 8:04 pm    

In 1958, Donny Young called me & said he was playing steel for George Jones at the Flame Cafe in Minneapolis, and said that Shot Jackson told him I had a D-8 Sho-Bud, He asked to borrow it, as his Sho-Bud hadn't arrived yet, I did bring my guitar to the Flame each nite to let him use it, I didn't want to let it out of my sight, so I brought it home each nite, I still have the guitar, but had Shot convert it to a D-9 in 1959 In 1969 I ran into Donny at Possum Holler in Nashville & he said, Hey! I remember you, I borrowed your Horn when I was playing steel for Jones, May Johnny Rest in Peace! Al Udeen
Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 5:37 am    

In the late sixties Steve Perrin from Ohio played steel for Paycheck. He played a SHO-BUD which he always referred to as the 'ultimate' guitar. I wonder what he's doing these days.
rh
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 8:30 am    

Will,

Koch Records has several CDs out with the early Paycheck material on Little Darlin', they are all available on www.amazon.com

Kind Regards, Walter

[This message was edited by Walter Stettner on 12 October 2005 at 09:31 AM.]

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 10:47 am    

Might have been Jimmy Powell. Can't remember when he worked with Paycheck but I know he did because their is an old story of JP owing Jimmy some money and gave him an Emmons for payment.

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 11:47 am    

Guys,
A steel player I met in Ft Collins Colorado around the early 70's named Russ Bergstrum said he played steel for Johnny, and was the first I ever heard to say what a good player Johnny was. Russ was known as the big Sweed and played a Black push pull Emmons. One nite I got drunk and tried to play his steel without his knowledge or permission, not knowing a thing about the tuning differences between all pull and push pulls I tried to tune it and messed it up and thought it was a lousy steel,later on I admitted to Russ what I had done and apologised to him, trouble was he had not realised I had tried out his steel and he started the first set of the nite out without checking his tuning and this caused a lot of dead time while he tried to fix the mess I made of his Emmons. We were always good friends even after that. He hired my girl singer who eventually married him. Anyone out there remember Big Sweed?
Take care all.
Bill Bailey

------------------
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2005 7:12 pm    

Does anyone know of any recordings that may have Paycheck playing steel on them? I always liked his "An Old Violin". Man, can I relate to that!!! If anyone has any stuff of Paycheck playing steel let me know. Thanks-
Michael in the Ozarks