| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weldon's Great Ride
Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 8:54 am    

Bill, Clem Schmitz thats the man. Big tall fellow,and like Weldon soft spoken. And Terry Crisp a super player also. I always enjoyed going by and talking with Clem. Wonder what ever happen to him? I went by the store one day and it was closed. Never did hear where Clem got too.
Steve Fishell, You are right Weldon is a class act. But I feel your a class act as well. I've really enjoyed a lot of your work also.

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 15 September 2005 at 10:00 AM.]

Michael Clark

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 10:26 am    

Clem Schmitz info : yes, Clem hepled me with my first steel lessons and steel repair at his shop in Minneapolis and we became friends. The last I heard of him that he moved to Nashville and I lost track of him. He was a nice guy and very suportive of me and my playing. Any one have any info?
Michael CLark
Lawrence Lupkin

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 11:03 am    

Mr. Schmitz refurbished my bolt-on a few years ago. As of then he was still in Nashville. Super nice guy. He did an incredible job with my push pull. A real night and day transformation. That guitar really plays like butter.

I think he had a line of bar-b-que sauce out at the time. Never did get to taste it. Rats!

Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 12:07 pm    

Just add my 2 cents worth. Weldon is a super picker and I been a fan for as long as I have been playing and listening to steel players.

I love his cd titled "Pedalman." I bought it on 33 when it first arrived and now it's on CD. Check it out if you haven't heard it yet.

Keep it up Weldon, we loves ya!

Woody
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 12:15 pm    

Weldon's "I'll Come Runnin'" intro and ride is, and will always be, a classic! I've heard many top players do it, but no one can do it like he did.
Quote:
...I just smiled thinking Weldon couldn't have come up with a better intro.

The story I've heard (and maybe someone in Nashville can verify this) is that the intro and ride came before the song! That song was written (by Connie) expressly to showcase Weldon's high-speed pickin'.
Delbert Aldredge

Willis, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 3:59 pm    

Bump for the "Man of Steel/Pedalman" That Battle Star tune has some of his fast picking from the seventies. Excellent work!
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2005 11:09 am    

One of the greatest C&W albums for steel enjoyment has to be Johnny Bush's "Here Comes The World Again." Weldon's tone and feel are a clinic. One of my favorites from this album is "That Rain Making Baby Of Mine." There was a reason that Weldon was one of the top four session steelers in the 60's and 70's (with Lloyd G., Hal Rugg, & Pete Drake).
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2005 12:10 pm    

Joe, your "top 4" list should also include Sonny Garrish! Sonny, having taken over the steel chair from Weldon in Bill Anderson's "Po' Boys" band, shows more than a little of Weldon's influence. Also, Sonny went on to be a major contributor to a lot of sessions done in Nashville in the '70s.
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2005 1:03 pm    

You can hear "shades of Weldon" from Sonny in the Gene Watson album "Then & Now".