| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weldon's Great Ride
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 11:46 am    

Here Here for Area Code 615! "Welephant" (or something like that) is a great example of speed picking at it's best. If you haven't heard any of these ablums (Keneth Buttrey- drums, Buddy Spicher-fiddle, Charlie McCoy- Harmonica, and others who names I don't recall)they're really a lot of fun... great music, great musicians.... right up there with "Suite Steel"

------------------
Dave Wren
'95Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Session500; Hilton Pedal
www.ameechapman.com

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 12:57 pm    

Ditto on everything said so far! Weldon's work with Area Code 615 is absolutely classic! He has always been one of my absolute favorites and truly one of my main influences. Check out his stuff with Ian and Sylvia from around 1969, great stuff. Also his work on the Opry was always impeccable and his intonation in that "live venue" was as close to perfect as you can get.

[This message was edited by frank rogers on 12 September 2005 at 01:57 PM.]

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 2:55 pm    

I totally agree with the comments about Weldon and his playing. Those Johnny Bush, RCA albums had great stuff by Weldon all over the place. George Strait, Alan Jackson, Jerry Wallace, Connie, Moe Bandy, Johnny Duncan and many others stuff... all made better thanks to Weldon. "Storms Never Last" by Dotsy also contained a classic Weldon ride. I gotta mention "If Love Was A Bottle of Wine" by Tommy Overstreet too. First hit record I remember hearing on the radio with the super-fast, single string, pick-blocking. Yup, it was Weldon. I was driving a bus to a gig first time I heard it and almost drove off the road. New standards were set to say the least.

Weldon is most definately one of my all time favorites. Super player, super guy.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 5:13 pm    

Weldon is one of my favorite players ,but if he couldn't play a lick I would still like him because he is super nice people.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 5:52 pm    

What about all the great Jerry Jeff Walker albums, and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Hail Weldon!!

------------------
Regards, Craig

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 6:08 pm    

What Paul said, "Weldon Myrick was why I watched the Grand Ole Opry on television."
I was always disappointed whenever he wasn't there. And what amazed me was his ability to play something different for each artist. His style was always there but he was never repetitious.
Weldon, sir, you da man! Thanks for being such an inspiration!
James
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 6:28 pm    

"Always the same" is the ballad from the Area Code 615 L.P. that I believe your speaking about. Great melody, interesting unison phrases and super tone!
Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 6:53 pm    

David, I think the tune your talking about was called "Welephant Walk". That was an original tune that Weldon came up with for the 615 Album.

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 12 September 2005 at 07:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 12 September 2005 at 07:55 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 12 September 2005 at 07:56 PM.]

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 9:03 pm    

I think I could safely say that none of us has heard everything Weldon ever played, but
it is safe to say that he has never played anything that didn't sound original, fresh and/or just plain brilliant.
I think I would start with "Then and Only Then" (Connie Smith), which might be one of the earlier examples of his brilliance that
was also a major hit record. The Johnny Bush
stuff (mostly RCA), the Area Code 615 albums (particularly "Why Ask Why," from the first album, his break on "Hey Jude" (same album),
"If I Were a Carpenter" (a single release
under his own name)--somebody could spend a
great deal of time trying to compile a list
of every artist and song he's appeared on.
Who's done it, or is going to do it? Yikes...
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 5:54 am    

I remember being inspired by Weldon's work on an old Dan Fogleberg album. I think the song was "More than Ever". Beautiful work!
Larry Sasser

Conyers,Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 7:51 am    

Weldon is one of the ALLTIME GREAT PLAYERS. I love him and his playing. How about "If I Talk To Him", "Nobody But A Fool", "The Hurtin's All Over", "Then And Only Then" and "Bright Lights and Country Music" with Bill Anderson. Weldon is indeed a very, very talented man. He also beat me in a round of golf at my own club. I never will forget that. HA! HA! Love Ya! Weldon.
Larry
Larry Sasser

Conyers,Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 7:54 am    

Weldon is one of the ALLTIME GREAT PLAYERS. I love him and his playing. How about "If I Talk To Him", "Nobody But A Fool", "The Hurtin's All Over", "Then And Only Then" and "Bright Lights and Country Music" with Bill Anderson. Weldon is indeed a very, very talented man. He also beat me in a round of golf at my own club. I never will forget that. HA! HA! Love Ya! Weldon.
Larry
Delbert Aldredge

Willis, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 9:57 am    

If you want to see and hear Weldon perform "LIVE" be in Jayton, TX. October 15th, 2005....bring your steel & jam with him, he may show you a lick or two! "it's all free"!!!!!! Has a heck of a show lined up this year.

For more info go to his web at http://weldonmyrick.com/
Franklin

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 10:51 am    

Weldon's playing behind singers during the formative 60's and 70's period of Country is especially incredible to my ears. His approach is totally unique. I can hear his ideas within all of his session peers styles, past and present. He defines the term "having influenced others".

Check out Bill Anderson's song "3AM" or Freddy Fender's intro to "Before The Next Teardrop Falls"? Talk about being creative.

Paul

[This message was edited by Franklin on 13 September 2005 at 11:53 AM.]

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 11:55 am    

I was eating lunch and I'll Come Running came on and I just smiled thinking Weldon couldn't have come up with a better intro.

Texas BBQ,Connie Smith and Weldon Myrick,can it get any better?

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 12:18 pm    

As far as imagination and inovation goes ---how about the turn on "I'm A Lover, Not A Fighter" ?? -
Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 12:52 pm    

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the info you gave me. I found out what I needed to know about that pedal set-up.
Thanks Again,
Steve

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 13 September 2005 at 01:53 PM.]

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2005 6:49 pm    

We all know how great a steel player Weldon Myrick is. A few years ago an uncle of mine was telling me of a good steel player out in Big Springs,Texas many years ago. He said he moved and he never knew what happened to him. I asked what his name was and he said Weldon Myrick. I said he has been the staff steel player on the Grand Ole Opry for over 25 years. Weldon made a huge impression on my uncle, that he even remembered his name after all the years that had went by. So we know he was even a great player before he made the move to Nashville. I personally believe his speed picking is the best I have heard. I would suggest listening to the 45 Weldon and Hal Rugg put out,"The Amaging One Pedal,Two Finger, Three String Song". Listen to Weldon play that over and over to different chord combinations is awesome.
Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 2:00 am    

Steve-- He's quite a guy--helped me a lot back in the early 70's. I have a picture of he and Hal and I taken at a place called The Steel Guitar Pourium (or something like that)in Nashville , around 1985 I think, that brings back early memories. He had us back stage at the Opry on that trip which was also filled with lots of lasting memories. Bill.
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 7:02 am    

Paul Graupp mentioned Three Little Fingers and reminded me of the great kickoff on Bill Anderson's 'Wild Weekend'

That's one of my all time favorites.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 9:27 pm    

I always thought Sonny did Wild Weekend?? This was before my time.But dad has an old 45 of that tune...........
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 9:38 pm    

Paul Franklins post got me thinking.There are so many of these tunes you guys mentioned that I don't remember hearing.
Are some of these tunes on the Rebel site? I think that's the name of the site? I sure miss the Record Ladies site...Thanks....bb
Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2005 11:01 pm    

Bill, I know the place you are talking about. I think it was called the "Steel Guitar Emporium". A real nice Man by the name of Clem ??? I can remember his last name ,but do not know how to spell it.Clem was a great P/P Tech. I've heard Mike Cass mention that he use to hang out or work with Clem,when Clem was up in Minnesota. Maybe Mike will read this and help me out with Clem's last name. Maybe it was spelled Smitz or something like that.

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 15 September 2005 at 12:03 AM.]

Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 2:51 am    

Steve---That's the place--and I think Clem Schmitz was the man, not sure. While we were there talking, a new young man not heard of much at that time, came in and I got to meet him there and also back stage at the Opry-- funny what a little time will do for a name-- Terry Crisp. -

[This message was edited by Bill Myrick on 15 September 2005 at 03:52 AM.]

Fish

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2005 7:20 am    

Weldon Myrick is a class act. When I first moved to Nashville from California in 1988, I was a greenhorn producer trying to make my way into the tight-knit Nashville scene. Weldon took my call and agreed to play on Jann Browne’s session for the great Harlan Howard classic, “The One You Slip Around With.” I was as nervous as a sack of cats, but Weldon was a true gentleman and made me feel completely comfortable during my first Nashville session. He was poised, relaxed and soft-spoken, but when the red light went on, his playing spoke volumes. He played a perfect steel track from top to bottom---live with the band. It was a brilliant, flawless, jaw-dropping performance that needed no fixes afterwards. Later, when I looked at the time card where he had signed his name, he’d written “thanks!” beside his signature.

He’s truly a great guy and real pro.

Steve Fishell