| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weldon's Great Ride
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 8:09 am    

Weldon Myrick's ride on George Straits' "Right Or Wrong" is a timeless classic. A mix of chords and blazing single string work, executed flawlessly(o.k. so I borrowed a little bit from Tom Bradshaw) Often times other players mistakenly get the credit for this solo, but let's set the record STRAIT(pun intended) , this is Weldon! Fine fiddle playing by Johnny Gimble also. Thanks Ray Baker for "turning Weldon loose" and thanks Weldon, for a great solo. Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 03 August 2001 at 09:12 AM.]

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 03 August 2001 at 11:07 AM.]

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 10:26 am    

Right! Another great classic is the ride he took in "Whiskey River". And "I'll Come Running". And many others. What a great player; got to see him at the ET Midnight Jamboree a couple of weeks ago. Sounds impeccable, as always.

C#
Fred Amendola

Lancaster, Pa.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 4:22 pm    

Is anyone familiar with Weldon's work on the Charlie McCoy albums? Grade A, Fastest Harp in the South, Minor Miner w/ Russ Hicks, and I believe the Rocky Top solo was his. Anybody know for sure?
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2001 10:07 am    

Cal," I'll Come Running" alot of steel in a short period of time,great right hand! Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2001 10:09 pm    

I have to agree wil Cal-Connie Smith's "I'll Come Running" and Johnny Bush's version of "Whiskey River" are Weldon's finest along with "Wright or Wrong" Since I mention Connie, my favorite song of hers is "The Tiny Blue Transistor Radio" I wish she would sing that one again sometime!
wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 1:50 pm    

Johnny Bush's "Whiskey River" steel player was Rick Price.
wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 1:52 pm    

I have often mentioned on this Forum that I LOVED what Weldon did on the George Strait classic. Buddy Charleton and I had a conversation about it when it first came out. Buddy adored it as well.
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 2:35 pm    

Well, I've said this before and I'll say it again ; try copying his ride on Connie's "Louisianna Man" sometime !!
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 5:12 pm    

Bush re-cut his stuff at different times with different players. Thus the confusion.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 6:07 pm    

Rick Price is a great player, fer sure. Check out Bush's "Live at Dancetown". But it was Weldon on the RCA version of "Whiskey River."

C#
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 8:32 pm    

Every ride Weldon has done was a great ride. Jody.
Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 9:55 pm    

I second Connie's Lousiana Man, Bill, that ride is wild!

------------------
The Young Steelkid
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 6:09 am    

Did Weldon, personally, ever tab out "I'll Come Running" for us???

JPJ
RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 6:44 am    

I'll never forget the first time I heard "If Love Was a Bottle of Wine" by Tommy Overstreet. I almost ran off the road when I heard Weldon's solo on that one.

Of course years later I got to hear it played by the guy who had to play that solo on the road when Smiley gave me a personal demonstration over at Jerry Fessenden's booth at the ISGC. Smiley done real good!

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 8:39 am    

quote:
Did Weldon, personally, ever tab out "I'll Come Running" for us???

it is tabbed out in the Bethel,Hughey Crawford, and Myrick"A Manual of Styles" By Winnie Winston. You can get it from Tom Bradshaw. Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 9:03 am    

I'm like some of the others; anything Weldon does is just a thing of beauty. But for years I have had a personal favorite for the tone he got on Bill Anderson's Three Little Fingers. I don't know how far that song ever got on the charts but I have had those bell like sounds in my head since the mid 60s.

Speaking of bells: Kenny Price told me his favorite steel player was Weldon. On Kenny's
version of She Cried, Weldon did a duet with himself by overdubbing. One night I played that 33&1/3 when one of the kids had the speed on 16. Weldon's intro sounded exactly like the Tower Bells of Big Ben in London.

Well I guess I'll never hear that again because I no longer have the album and no turntable either. I don't think you could slow down a CD or a tape to get the same effect so accurately.

Regards, Paul
Weldon Myrick

Nashville, TN, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2001 9:07 pm    

Hi Fellows. I can see that no one enjoyed my best efforts on the original demo's of "Shortnin' Bread" and "Pop Goes the Weasel". Seriously, thanks so much for the comments. You brought up songs I had forgotten. Weldon

------------------
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 2:53 am    

Quote:
Every ride Weldon has done was a great ride.

Yep
A lot of of them were Spectacular.
The first time I heard "I'll come Running" I couldn't believe that could be done on a Pedal Steel.

Weldon has Broken a lot of new Ground and is one of the Originals in this business.

------------------
John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 08 August 2001 at 03:58 AM.]

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 5:23 am    

Mr. Myrick, in the formative years after 1983, when I turned from lead guitar to steel, there was a whole host of great artists from whom I learned a lot -- or at least tried to. But in all these years since that seminal undertaking, I've found two who inspired me most by their uniquely creative styles & colorful improvisational skills -- the two steel players I most wish had been living next door to me! -- Buddy Emmons and Weldon Myrick.

P.S. Are you gonna do up tabs on "Pop Goes the Weasel"??

[This message was edited by Bill Fall on 08 August 2001 at 06:46 AM.]

Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2005 10:27 pm    

If you want to try and get the old right hand working real nice,Take a shot at playing Weldon's Tune "Hot Foot" that he wrote. If you can get through that one, you are ready to pick with the best of them. Just wish I could have gotten through it.

[This message was edited by Steve Dodson on 11 September 2005 at 09:12 AM.]

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 10:01 am    

On the Area Code 615 trip in the country record there's a ballad that I forget the name of that is just beautiful.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 6:13 pm    

I have to agree the ride on "Right Or Wrong" was fabulous. My all time favorite is what Weldon did on "Whiskey River". Those licks in the middle are some of the hottest licks I have ever heard. Weldon Myrick was why I watched the Grand Ole Opry on television. Just a super picker and I hope one day to see him play at a steel show. The Texas show in 2006 would be fine with me.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2005 6:33 pm    

I thought I heard some pretty good rides on Weldons set at the St.Louis Convention. In my book he always plays great be it live or on recordings. I sure had fun working with him. He is such a great guy. Best to Weldon always, Bobby
Michael Clark

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 7:39 am    

My favorite Weldon songs have to be his work with Area Code 615 !!!! It has had a massive influence on my musical outlook and the work they did ( along with Barefoot Jerry and Russ Hicks), sent country in a new direction ! Thanks so much Weldon for all the inspiration and licks ! Michael Clark
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2005 8:23 am    

That Bush album is among my all-time favorites. I've copied my vinyl to CD and get to hear it often these days.

Fast forward to about 1989 and give Alan Jackson's debut album, "Here In The Real World" a spin. I don't know if Weldon did that entire album but I'm certain he's on a lot of them; one of my favorites is "She Don't Get the Blues (she gives 'em)". Of course, by '89 producers were in the mode of 8 bars and out in order to meet 3-min. radio slots, but still some great pickin'.

------------------
HagFan