| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Sasser
Darrell Schmidt

Charles City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 3:38 am    

I have seen this steel player on Carnival Country and never figured it to be Larry.
After they said his name last night and did sort of a close up,then I could sort of see the resemblance.
Did a killer job on "I Love You Because".
You,we all had a lot of hair back then.
c-ya Darrell
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 4:31 am    

I especially liked the Emmons he was playing to. Nice looking guitar with the design on the neck and front apron. Wonder whatever happened to the little pretty lady that was on that show?
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 5:35 am    

I told Dad that I would love to get my hands on that guitar!!! WOW! Larry really played that thing! More country steel playing than I've heard on TV in a while!
Great!
Jack Therrell

Conroe, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 5:41 am    

I saw country carnival and they introduced the steeler as Larry Sasser and I would have sworn he looked just like Hal Rugg. Also, I think those who played steel in the 60's and 70's had more freedom to interpret how they wanted to present the intro. or do the ride which was common for them to do then. Now everything seems so scripted that the player has little freedom to add anything that he might be feeling. Jack
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 5:46 am    

Sure was nice to see and hear Gordon Terry once again and what a job on Maidens Prayer...
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 11:45 am    

Did Billy Walker used to host this show also. Seems I used to see it with him hosting. There never used to be any band shots when he was on. Larry is a great player, and as Del said when Larry was playing the intro to I Love You Because, "He plays it like he means it".

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 3:58 pm    

I enjoy watching CC because of such real country being played. This is what it's all about. Brother Reggie, I think you'd look good sitting behind that Emmons.
Al Carmichael

Sylvan Lake, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 7:46 pm    

Larry Sasser is da man! I have some tracks here that he played steel on. If I could find a way to post them, I would. He's an amazing musician!
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 11:19 am    

I watched country carnival and Whimpy done a FANTASTIC job on the ballad Del sung "I love you because" I asked over on the pedal steel forum about Larry's copedent but never got a reply. He sure was makin some purty chords!
I'd still like to know his copedent. I know I still wouldn't be able to play like Larry, but I'd like to know for curosity's sake.

BTW- What channel and time does the opry come on? Can I get it on my Dish Network?

Terry

------------------
Mullen D10 /8x5 / session 500rd/ American Strat Highway 1 model
steelin for my Lord

[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 25 August 2005 at 12:26 PM.]

Darrell Schmidt

Charles City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 3:26 am    

I belive it called GMC or something like that and it is on at diffrent times all week i belive.I have the dish network.Watched the Hag and Porter Wagoner last night on Pop Goes The Country,but that was on RFD Tv.
Darrell
Charley Adair

Maxwell, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 5:52 am    

Terry, Country Carnival comes on RFD TV and I get it on Dish Network. Lots of old shows on there. Wilburn Bros., Pop Goes the Country, Porter Wagoner, some good stuff. I usually record it and watch it later. I sure didn't recognise Sasser, but he did a great job.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 8:59 am    

Guys, I have dish network and watch all the old country shows, the Wilburn brothers being one of my favorites.
I was talkin about the channel the opry comes on. I'd love to watch it if I can get it on dish network. I'll see if we can get GMC.
Thanks

Terry

------------------
steelin for my Lord

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 5:37 pm    

I remember seeing "Country Carnival," "The Wilburn Bros. Show," "That Good 'Ole Nashville Music," and the "Buck Owens Ranch Show," all via channel 36 (San Jose) here in
the Bay Area in the early '70's.
Lots of great steel players and great steel playing.
I particularly looked forward to the Del Reeves show because of Larry's playing. Two
particular songs standout; "Once More," which
featured Leona Williams as a guest;also Del
singing a medley of "Cold, Cold Heart" and
"Window Shopping," with a Larry solo that just tore me up.
"The Wilburn Bros. Show" (as most everyone here knows) had Hal Rugg and Buddy Spicher,
and later, Curly Chalker and Jimmy Capps.
There was usually one instrumental per show,
and any Chalker fan would not be disappointed
with the playing there. I think his E9th work
really started to develop during that particular period.
However, my favorite Chalker TV appearence was with Stan Hitchcock (anyone remember him?) on "That Good 'Ole Nashville Music."
They did "Shadow of Your Smile" and then Curly did "Midnight in Amarillo," and he just
ripped on both tunes. He was playing a Bud,
probably a Professional.
I love the photo of Larry and Jay Dee in Winnie Winston's book--look at how close their hand positioning is to each other. They
must have been Siamese twins in a previous life.

Joe
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 9:15 pm    

Joe, Curly's ShoBud was a Baldwin Crossover made especially for him. I looked under it in '69 in Dallas and it was 7 pedals and I think 5 knee levers.
He played this until he switched to MSA in late '72 or early '73. The ShoBud was sitting upstairs in the ShoBud store on Broadway around the corner from the Ryman when I was there in April of '73. It had a bad damage to the front apron from being dropped, but I wish I had bought from Shot.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 10:35 am    

"He plays it like he means it". He really does! Larry plays with his heart and it shows. Some players never get that characteristic into their music, Larry get's it into ALL of his music. I think he's due for another CD!
Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 8:59 am    

There were two different shows I believe,one with Del Reeves was the Country Carnival and Billy Walker hosted the Country Carosel which featured Bobbe Seymour,these shows were produced by the same company and used many of the same people...I'm on a couple of these, and I was skinny and had hair...
Bobbe Seymour probally has many memories to share....er...unh....right Bobbe?
A word about Larry Sasser....Larry played these with the Legendary Del Reeves Band and he worked the road with Del while doing sessions and TV and still found time to hang-out with steel playing friends on Lower Broad...Later he played 11 years of 5 nites a week on Ralph Emery's Nashville Now...at one time they were hitting 22 million households, that's more that Johnny Carson was doing on most nites at the time, and Larry represented the steel and himself in a most positive light...this man has probally played to more people than any other steel player, Bar Nun, no pun intended
Way to go,Wimpy....

[This message was edited by Lynn Owsley on 28 August 2005 at 10:10 AM.]

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 8:12 pm    

Terry;
That's GAC. (not GMC)

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 10:45 pm    

I wish they would show reruns of the NASHVILLE NOW show. I agree with Lynn, he did put the steel guitar in front of a lot of people on the nightly shows and did a fine job of it. I especially remember when he was playing the blue Emmons.
Larry Sasser

Conyers,Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 8:48 am    

Thanks evryone for the nice things you said about CC Show. Yes that was a younger and much thinner me.
Terry Sneed, you asked about my set up. It was very simple E's to F, E's to Eb, F# to G,and Eb to C# with half stop with Emmons set up on the floor.
As for the Nashville Now Show, that was 10 years of hard work and lots of fun. I LOVED IT!!!!!.
I hope everyone had good time at St. Lo. my wife and I had a great time.
Your Friend,
Larry
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 8:59 am    

Wimpy played great at St. Louis this year. He was playing a black Zum Hybrid and just sounded awesome!

He has always been one of my favorite players!

Tony Rankin
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 9:23 am    

RFD has been saying lately that Country Carnival will be replaced with Nashville on the Road, I think. I love the Wilburn Bros show, with Hal, or Curly or sometimes Don Helms. I don't know who the steeler is on the old Porter Waggoner show, they don't feature him much. I think it was a very young Larry Sasser that toured with Kenny Surrette(not sure of the spelling) and played so good, in the early seventies.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 12:19 pm    

Thanks very much Larry!. I really appreciate that. And I have all those changes, but can't get my guitar to sound like your's
I reckon that's the difference in the great steel players, and the wanna-be's.

Thanks John, I'll try GAC.

Howard, I know Stu Basor played on the Porter Wagnor show for a while. And done a great job also.

Terry

------------------
steelin for my Lord

[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 05 September 2005 at 01:25 PM.]