| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  leaving your steel
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 6:19 am    

I have heard many sad stories of family almost giving steels away,and even yard sales ect. because familys don;t have any idea of what your steel is worth,or how to sell it.
so many times the family really needs the money tooooo.

I was thinking of my own,my family has no idea what i have or how much its worth,or any idea of how to sell it.
I Think i should fix up a list of my steels and the value,and a list of numbers for them to call for desposal information when that time comes.
Ive seen so much equipment almost gave away for nothing. Any ideas you would like to share?? farris
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 6:25 am    

that is an important consideration. it's been on my mind as well.

I have no children. my relatives are not musicians.
if I died on the way home from work where'd my stuff go?

my close friends know. and they'd be nice to each other dividing my instruments.

there are legal ramifications that I m sure I am unaware.

Ive sarted photographing and added writtten information to the photos.
they will come in handy if there is a fire or another type of loss and I submit my claim to the insurance co.

however, perhaps it's time to make a living will.
that way the value, whether monetary or emtional, is known.
Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 6:33 am    

I've actually listed my steel in my Will, with instructions as to who will get it, and if for some reason that person is not around, what to do with it next.I've also briefed my Wife, Son and Daughter about the steel and whom to contact for info re value etc. The Steel Guitar forum was also mentioned. Both my kids are in the legal profession, so maybe i've got a headstart there.

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied

My CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"

Click here to E-mail us.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 6:53 am    

I don't think its a problem anymore... My family would sell the stuff on eBay or here on the forum soon after I croaked,[which is exactly what I would WANT them to do..}

Prices in these places are kind of "self adjusting".. yes,on ebay , on any given listing the item may sell for 25% less than it should, but it is just as likely to sell 25% OVER..

Here on the forum,members know what an item is worth and will pay the price if its fair.. Properly priced steels and gear sell here NO problem...

If it won't sell here, most likely you need a downward price tweak.
There is NO excuse in this computer age for anyone to sell a $2000 steel or a $500 amp at a yard sale for $100..To do so is really silly.

If someone doesn't have a computer, they surely KNOW someone that does..Its just a matter of doing just a bit of research,,, Inform your loved ones NOW, and when the time comes,they'll have no problem passing your gear on,if that is what you desire... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 26 August 2005 at 07:54 AM.]

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 7:01 am    

Yes and thats what i;m speaking of!!many of my family don't even know the forum exist.and none sells anything or deals ebay.
yep,they use computers but in a different way than i do. SO what call a music store to get a price!!I DON'T THINK SO!! make plans ahead of time i say!! I know its coming. someone will say who cares,i won't need it no more!!right,but shame to see family get nothing. farris
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 7:11 am    

I think we should all put in writing instructions for how to access the Steel Guitar Forum and sell any steel guitar equipment here. We can suggest starting prices, but as years go by (lets be hopeful on that), these will become wrong. So they should just list the items here and ask for pricing suggestions. Then, if all the items don't sell here, they can sell them on Ebay. Also, for those who can afford it, the items that sell could be donated to the Forum - that is, the seller could ask the buyers to send everything but the shipping fee to the Forum.
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 7:51 am    

There is a little book in the filing cabinet with photographs of all my guitars, swords and other antiques, motorbikes,, rare books and records, along with a description and approximate value.
In these days of digital cameras and photo printers, I recommend the idea to the House.
It's in a section marked "Will"
Cheers
Dave
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 8:03 am    

I picked up my steel guitar along with a Fender, Princeton Reverb amp and volume pedal all for $50.00.

The old lady who had the yard sale was going to an old folks home and was selling everything she could in a yard sale. She had one living daughter who had no interest in the steel and obviously no idea what the the setup was worth.

It was all a matter of being in the right place at the right time and the guitar Gods being on my side that morning.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

[This message was edited by Les Anderson on 26 August 2005 at 09:05 AM.]

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 8:39 am    

Les,some poor rascal is spinning in his grave!! ha ha Just what i mean,i been taking care of my invalid wife for 14yrs. she don't have a clue. and kids are grown with kids,and only come once in a while,when they have toooooo. farris
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 8:52 am    

Farris, it is not just music equip.I have thought about this a lot, I have tools and equipment that my wife has no idea what so ever as to its value. i dont worry about the music stuff because she knows what it is worth but the other stuff she has no idea. I have started making a list with a fair market value of these things, at least she would have some idea of their worth.I would hope that my friends would step in with advice for her, but I have seen strange things happen. I am an auctioneer and could tell you stories you would not believe of things that happen between family members while trying to conduct an estate auction. Some people here dissolve a dispute between their children fighting over things by saying we will have an auction and which of you want it the worst can buy it from the estate and then we will split the money back between you.Seems to work, kinda, sometime,but not always.
Farris Currie

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 9:06 am    

Thank you DOYLE,yep i've seen it so much.New a guy with a nice home shop,he died,the Vultures came,and were laughing,thousands of dollars in tools they got for 15 to 25 dollars!!machinery dealers came here with machines,laughing got this for 100 dollars ect. man, we got to prepare some way to protect our family farris
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 9:12 am    

may I recommend, and this was not my idea, that you place a notebook, CD, whatever in your safe deposit box, or A Safe Deposit box, and added to your lst of home importance items, such as Life Insurance, Mortgage and Bank accounts , Will etc...add a list of your Instruments with street value. Also add the name or names of musician friends that can be contacted to assist in selling Instruments if that is what is decided.

Estate Planning....Instruments are and should be part of it...

guys..this is not brain science..

but it is a great topic.....

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 26 August 2005 at 10:13 AM.]

Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 9:19 am    

Some musical instruments are not obvious as to what they are called. I've made up floppy discs with jpeg photos, properly titled. Included on the discs are word files describing each instrument, giving my estimate of today's value range, and noting my recommendation for what dealer(s) I recommend for each instrument, including names, addresses, and phone numbers.

[This message was edited by Bryan Bradfield on 26 August 2005 at 10:19 AM.]

Farris Currie

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 9:38 am    

TONY,AND BRYAN,these are great sujestions,but many people,me included,put it off till later!!no harm intended,but many guitar pickers are like me,poor and don't think about it till,some times its to late.
I have a person in mind,who passed away,his children hated him,and when people found him dead.no one would have a thing to do with it. Finally the Church stepped in,sold his old truck, had him Cremated,on and on.
Seems moral of the story,need to prepare in advance.but human nature PUT IT OFF UNTIL TOMORROW. farris
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 9:42 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 26 August 2005 at 06:43 PM.]

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 11:40 am    

Farris my Friend,
If it will make you rest easier...you can leave instructions for you family to give
that old black SHO~BUD to me. Now I know it meens a lot to you and I am only offering this to you cause we are such good friends. I probably would not do this for anyone else. He, he, he. But seriously..I know just what you meen I have told the wife to post my things on the Forum cause I really dont think she could go too far wrong with most any of the members.Except for this one six string I have which she has instructions the burn and mix the ashes with mine and then sprinkle to the 4 winds...

[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 26 August 2005 at 12:41 PM.]

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 12:43 pm    

I know; of all the things I haven't thought of, I wonder how, who, what to do with these guitars.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 1:04 pm    

I have a mutual agreement with a musician friend that if anything happens to either of us, the other will step in and help the spouse get what the musical things are worth. Of course, one needs to trust the person doing this, and I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you're sure.

You're right, Farris - the vultures can swarm in in a big hurry if you leave it to chance. I've seen it too.
Farris Currie

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 2:56 pm    

Larry my friend,you wouldn't want blackie right now,i got it scattered all over the dining table!!!putting new grovers 18:1on it.and working on the linkage!!!done forgot who all was talking,but i remember trusting a friend.Yep,got to trust them and hope they don't really want it!!hahahaha
farris
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 3:07 pm    

Larry R..

There you go again,,,when you think I'm not looking you try to slide in and grab that black "Bud"

Watch him Farris,, and remember your friends in Az.

Seriusly though Farris, I've given it some thought myself, but my wife being a musician herself and helping me pay for this gear and equipment knows pretty well what it's worth.

Good topic Farris

Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/5, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 3:37 pm    

Farris I know we are not friends yet but we will be after you leave that black Shobud to me. I am very desiriveing, just ask Jennings.

ernie
Farris Currie

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 3:47 pm    

Ernest, I LOVE IT, i told Jennings to will me that old push pull Emmons, he said he wasn't giving no one nothing!!!Thats the thanks i get for furnishing the Possums huh
I been wanting to go back to CATFISH HOUSE,
went one time,and its 200plus miles,also with a invalid wife,can't get much help at all to get out. anyway my friend i keep trying to make it again farris
Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 4:24 pm    

Nah, never thought about it. I'm 25... I'm never going to die!

Then again, if any of y'all want to leave me your rigs, just let me know. I'll come over and mow your yard or something.

-MG
Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 5:29 pm    

FERRIS::::: YOU HAVE GONE AND DUN IT NOW
BOY.. I AM IN THE SAME BOAT SO GIVE ME AN OAR:
I HAVE BIN TRYING TO GET RID OF SOME OF MY STOCK, INCLUDING SOME REAL ESTATE. FOUND PLENTY
OF PEOPLE THAT WANT IT , BUT NO ONE WITH ANY MONEY, SO THEY SAY..I HAVE SOME REALLY GOOD GUITARS, AND MY STEEL AND AMPS......THE MOST I
HAVE BIN OFFERED IS 10 CENTS ON THE DOLLAR...
I HAVE A J45 60 YEAR,,,,, MARTIN HD 2832
GIB. L.P. CUSTOM BLACK, GOLD HWDR. HALF PRICE ON ALL....ANY TAKERS.....NEED TO MAKE A MOVIE OF ALL AND PUT WITH INSURANCE PAPERS, TO MAKE DAM SURE IT IS FOUND,, ANY OFFERS ON MY STEEL??? E MAIL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED , OR I AM GOING TO GET ME SOME OF ARCHIES
MUTTON AND HOLD A GUITAR COOK OUT IN MY BACK YARD........ I'LL SLICK'EM.........

LOVE TO ALL , THE POSSUM KING,,,,JW;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Farris Currie

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 5:37 pm    

Jennings I been worried about you!!!Man don't let that PUSH PULL get away,i'm your buddy remember!!!we work up a trade for POSSUM on it!!! hay i get you a whole doz.
farris