| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So, who had a great time at the HSGC?
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2005 5:13 pm    

I know I certainly did! Great music, great people, and an all around fun time. Learned a lot also. Photos to follow.....anyone else?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2005 5:22 pm    

That's it? How about some particulars?
HowardR

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2005 7:15 pm    

I thought I covered it pretty well......

Oh, all right. But not now, I have a headache.....
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2005 9:05 pm    

It was a blast! Awesome people and music! Not only did a meet new friends, but the highlight was finally meeting face to face so many friends that I've had for years through the forum. What a great weekend! I haven't laughed that much in a long time!
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2005 7:02 am    

Still recovering from my 3 hours of sleep each night at the convention. Here are a few pix...

Steel Guitar Forum members/lurkers in attendance:

Front Row on butt with Dustpan - Rick Aiello

Front Row on their knees (l-r)
Gerald Ross, Doug Smith, Chris Kennison (seldomfed), Harry Dietrich, Jeff Strouse, Howard Reinleib (HowardR), Kay Das, Andy Barlow, L.T. Zinn, Dennis Gonsalves, Maurie Junod

Back Row standing (l-r)
Terry Miller, John Anderson, Wally Pfeifer, Tim Taylor, John Tipka, Bill Leff, Frank Miller, Don Kona Woods, Dave Kitchen, Charlie Buttner, Dave Kollars, Jack Knight, Ray Montee, Ron Simpson, Dave "Hula Monster" Giegerich

Dustpan winners!

(l-r) Chris Kennison (seldomfed) from Colorado, Rick Aiello, Miss HSGA Joliet 2005, John Anderson from California

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 17 October 2005 at 03:27 PM.]

Larry Tresnicky

Grapevine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2005 8:27 am    

Nice picture - I didn't recognize Howrd R with the new hair piece - glad you put the names under the photo - nice rug Howard, I like the color too
Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2005 10:06 am    

Hey, what happened to the special guest in the photo?

Gerald, who were the winners of the auction for the 7 dustpans?
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2005 10:18 am    

Aloha Derrick:

That photo was a special photo for folks who are part of this forum.

There were only two dustpans at auction, a 6 and 8 string. Chris won the 6 and John won the 8.

The special guest, Paul Kim, was great. As you know, he is a wonderful falsetto singer and accomplished steel guitarist in the Rogers-family style. Really nice guy and great sense of humor.

Paul plays a double neck Stringmaster that he removed the finish from and applied hieroglyphics to using a soldering iron. It looks great and is certainly one of a kind!

[This message was edited by Bill Leff on 17 October 2005 at 03:20 PM.]

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2005 12:49 pm    

Did anyone else come away from Rick Aiello's Friday night "talk story" session with a feeling of deja vu? As Rick told of tweaking the guitars and pickups on the road toward perfection, and the legal roadblocks that he had to avoid along the way I couldn't help but think of a story I read about a guy named Leo. As I recall, he made guitars also. I've read more than once that this is the "golden age" of guitars with builders taking the new arch tops, flat tops and electrics to a level that surpasses the beloved vintage instruments. I believe that Rick has added the Hawaiian steel guitar to that group.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2005 1:54 pm    

Glad everyone had a great time ! Amazingly, I only recognized 3 old timers in the photo from the days when I once attended the Convention...guess everyone I knew back then have all died ! (Not really, just joking). Probably they are in another photo which shows everyone who attended.
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2005 3:45 pm    

I checked out last year's Joliet Forumite picture and counted heads. We had 17 forumites at Joliet 2004 with two missing from the photo for a total of 19.

The Joliet 2005 Forumite census was 27! with Paul Warnik, Craig Stenseth and Kamaka Tom missing from the photo for a total of 30!

About a 33% increase in attendance. Way to go!

------------------
Gerald Ross

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2005 3:19 pm    

I just got back, stopped in Amana IA to eat a lot of German food - oh my god it's good.

I had a GREAT time at HSGA. I was still feeling the lingerings of a cold, but I spent as many waking hours as I could - but not enough. There's never enough time to do it all.

My Dust Pan is lovely! Now I can tell my friends I'm getting back into heavy metal guitar. Thanks Rick for donating those! I've played it every day since getting it. The night I won it I was playing it in my room about 4am (after the jams), until someone banged on my wall. Felt like college dorm living. Who ever that was, sorry I only had the MicroCube on .5, and it goes to 11.

Highlights for me... seeing all you guys again and meeting new friends, the steak at Al's, Paul Kim's vocals, Bill Leff showing me a new lick, finally meeting Jeff Strouse (he lies, he can really play steel), having Gerald play electric uke solos with me on my set, having Bill play guitar solos, and having Floyd on bass, and hearing all the great players. How much fun is that! The Fart machine is classic, I need some for xmas gifts Bill.

The 'dust closet' was a cool hang out place. Those JB videos were brilliant!

Can't wait till next time. It's a ball.

Chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Colorado
www.book-em-danno.com

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2005 7:18 pm    

still on the road, from chicago got to boston on business, will catch the plane back to singapore tomorrow and will remember my first joliet convention all 24 hours i will spend getting there. had a super time...met a great bunch of players and people(!)... enjoyed the performances and the jam sessions...heard beautiful music! seems like the soft breezes of the islands got magically captured in those rooms....
..sigh...

------------------
kay
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2005 7:29 pm    

This is the second year that I have gone to the Joliet HSGC. I saw the Friday afternoon show and a little bit of the Saturday afternoon show. Every Steel player that I saw sounded great but I'd have to say that Paul Kim played some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard in my life. He is a not only a great Hawaiian Steel player, he is also a tremendous singer. I also enjoyed the Friday night jam. Everyone was incredibly friendly and informative. Its been great learning more about Hawaii and Hawaiian Steel and attending the Joliet HSGC is truly an inspiring experience.

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 18 October 2005 at 08:43 PM.]

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2005 8:44 pm    

I just got home late last night and this morning picked up the action pertaining to the HSGA convention in Joliet. These Hawaiian steel guitar conventions are always highlights of the year for me because of the new friendships made in addition to hearing new players. Of course it is always enjoyable hearing old friends and their stylings.

One of the highlights for me was Professor Rick Aiello’s class on metallurgy and the Hawaiian Steel guitar. I felt that I was back again in college. He brought the process of creating the “Dustpans” to life with his step-by-step description. He broke it down into the thinking process that occurred, including the mistakes and the trial and error approaches. Rick knows his “stuff” and he did not have to use notes. I believe that he talked for a solid hour before taking questions. No question was ever without an adequate answer. It was very illuminating.

I will be back for more highlights later.

Aloha for now,

Don
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2005 9:05 pm    

Got home at 11:00 AM, today, Tuesday, and am pooped!

That's more than 2,084 miles each direction! Pulled off the road in Wyoming and parked beneath the over-pass for a pepper-upper quik doze so I could start driving once again only to be jarred to my senses by two (2)police officers with guns at the ready and the officer at the door could barely speak English.........I had to wonder if she even had a green card but didn't dare ask, on in her land. I guess Sally and I look like the more common TERRORIST of the day. Broad daylight and no black face masks!

It was one of the most enjoyable events I have ever attended! Got to identify with olde Forum friends with whom I've communicated for several years now and that was great! Had the opportunity to meet new faces and what a joy that was.
Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2005 9:32 pm    

I had a good time "crashing the party", heard some great sounds and learned a few tricks on uke and possibly even lap steel. Despite the grueling 25-odd mile journey to and from the hotel, it was worth it. Next stop: Midwest Uke Fest 3
(http://keystrummers.org/ukefest/ukefest1.html)

I'm not good with names, who was the guy with the Roland Micro Cube?
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 4:48 am    

"Wake up, Mr. Ross ...

You think your high school PE coach warmed your butt with that wooden paddle ...

Keep snoozin' in my class ... and you'll feel the heat from my AAAA ... Alloy Attitude Adjustment Appliance"

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 19 October 2005 at 05:49 AM.]

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 5:00 am    

I'm getting old.

I used to go to the Joliet convention and function perfectly well on two hours of sleep a night for the duration.

This year my three hours of sleep average per night just didn't cut it. Look at those pix of me... I'm 9/10 dead.

Apparently during the Friday night jam at about 2:45 AM I took a guitar solo on a tune while totally asleep. Everyone was laughing (with me, not at me... right guys?).

------------------
Gerald Ross

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 19 October 2005 at 07:42 AM.]

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 5:37 am    

"Ross ... save your lame excuses for History Class.

Hand may buy your pathetic BS story ... but it ain't gonna fly here "

Click Mr.Hand/Spicoli
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 6:23 am    

Hey Rick, you kind of remind of Buford Pusser wielding that DustPan. Walk tall, brother, and carry a big stick.
HowardR

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 6:44 am    

Well, all & all, the HSGC is a great convention for the music, making and meeting friends, and LEARNING.

I'm taking a one night a week night class of intermediate music theory. I wasn't sure whether to bring my homework with me (due when I returned). My assignment was to build chords in all of the major scales.

It was a wise decision to bring it with me. If I had a question or get stuck (which I did), there were many people there to help (which they did). Thank you Bill Leff & John Anderson.

Anyone who is considering attending next year, well, you can see in these several threads that it is 100% positive.
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 7:55 am    

I wanted to make it this year, but my "day job" got in the way. I'll be there next year for sure.
Chuck
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 11:09 am    

It sure looks as if some at the HSGC might have consumed some steak and beer. As a matter of fact, it looks as if some might consume steak and beer on a regular basis.

But, I'd never hold that against you __ that all showed up at the convention clean is most important.

Mr. Clean

If you want to play it clean, you must play it on a Fender.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2005 2:46 pm    

Hey Clean ...

Click on our newest HSGA member ... I found him in a van ... down by the river

------------------

Aiello's House of Gauss

My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield