| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Erickson Steel Guitars
Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 9:17 am    

I used to own a beautiful Erickson steel guitar. It played well, stayed in tune and looked great. I wish I still had it. Does anyone play an Erickson and does Elvin Erickson still make them? Al Svenddal

------------------
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 4:47 pm    

Albert, I visited with Elvin about 5 years ago in Clearbrook, MN. He had bought one of his 12 strings back and wanted me to play it. This was at his home. I haven't heard from him since that time, but I have a friend in Bimidji who saw Elvin last week. Elvin had bladder cancer about 2 years ago but the operation was successful and he's doing very well. He doesn't build steels anymore but he still buys back any guitar he ever built according to my friend. I was told that he still plays some, but he's back rebuilding old autos again mostly. Best I can do, but if I hear more I'll let you know.
phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 6:05 pm    

Thanks Fred. I haven't seen Elvin in years. I sold my old 12 String Erickson to a young Navy student of mine when I was living in San Diego, CA. Haven't seen that guitar since but I remember it stayed in tune and played very well. Al

------------------
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 6:17 pm    

I played an Erickson guitar for about 8 months in 75-76. I used it mainly while I was waiting for the guitar I ordered to come in. It was a Sho-Bud LDG. The Erickson was a fine guitar. I did never own it, though. It was a used guitar and I gave it back when the Bud came in.

I visited Elvin's place a couple of times, both in Gonvick and in Clearbrook. However, I haven't seen him in many years. It's good to hear he's still around. If you happen to see him, please tell him I said "Hi!"

BTW: I had the LDG for about 8 months and got my first Emmons D-10 in June of '77. (I never should have sold that Emmons! It was a 9x9.)

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 6:55 pm    

QUOTE:
"I never should have sold that Emmons! It was a 9x9"

Ernie,
Was that the black '66 you sold a few years ago.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 7:31 pm    

No, Nick, it was a 1977 black D-10. I had Clem Schmitz (then in Minneapolis,) add a ninth pedal and build me a Crawford cluster on the left knee.

I traded it back to him for a new D-10 rosewood LeGrande during his first year in Nashville/Mt. Juliet in the early 80's. (I believe Bill Nauman still has that one.)

In hindsight I should have figured a way to keep the guitar, but at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do, (the same as with all the guitars I've sold. I miss every Emmons guitar I've ever owned for some reason or another. Some more than others.)

Oh, well! I really like the one I have right now. It's a black '99 8x7 D-10 LLIII. Works and sounds great!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 08 August 2005 at 10:01 PM.]