| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Singers and Steelers
Jack Therrell

Conroe, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 7:41 am    

A question. How much influence does the singer have as to the make-up of the band he or she is singing with? Because as we all know there is very little real steel playing on so much of the so-called contemporary country music today. I started playing back in the 50's and stopped in the 60's. I never got to play with a "big name" band. But my limited experience from those days remind me that to have a real country band then you just had to have a steel.True many times the lead singer was the band leader as well and wanted the steel to sometimes intro and then to take a ride in the song. I realize things are very different today.I was just wondering what your experience is now. I am not just thinking about headline acts. I mean things in general. Do you think the singer really cares about back-up or is their interest just in how good they think they sound. I admit I am of the opinion that you can't have a better accompaning instrument than a well-played steel. Jack
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 8:11 am    

I agree with you Jack.
I worked from 1980 to 1995 with a popular local country singer by the name of Gerry Andal. Pretty much classic country. He was always very good to me, giving credit for how my steel backup helped his vocals. He gave me a ride on everything, and announced me Bob Wills style: "here'e johnny!"
I do notice some artists tend away from that now. For example I saw the new Brooks and Dunn video "Play Something Country". The girl looks very nice! But when the line comes along "...crank up the steel guitar"..there is no steel guitar to be seen or heard. Oh well, at least they mentioned it. I think the wonderful traditional relationship of vocals and steel will always be around though. There is no better instrument in the world to do "call and answer" with a human voice.
johnny
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 8:44 am    

This thread reminds me of a "not yet ready for prime time" vocalist that I was once associated with for a brief period. He thought he was "hot" and ready for the big time.

To shorten the story, when the subject of a band to accompany him to the "big Time" came about, he said: "I don't need a band, I can sell myself with just my message and my acoustic guitar.

I have often wondered what ever became of that guy!

------------------

HOMEPAGE

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 9:02 am    

After playing steel, for about 30 yrs, I can honestly say, that, I've never had a problem with any of the singers or bands I've backed up. I always felt that, "they" asked me to play and wanted a steel to fill a spot in the band. Sometimes I even had a chance to work out some harmony parts with a guitar player... some great music was made. And, I was always given a chance to back the singer up for a bar or two, plus an instrumental part. I've never worked with a "Prima Donna", my good fortune I guess.
The last 20 yrs. have been a blast backing up the girl singer, because, I married her. To which, I think she's the greatest and she revere's me as a super steel player. Her part, I'm sure is pure predjudice because she has sang for Hal Rugg, Jeff Newman, Weldon Myrick, Jerry Fessenden.
On the whole, though, I think that local or non big star entertainers have a tendency to treat you as an equal, rather than a subordinate backup musician. I can't speak for the "Biggies", because, I never really worked for them. Only an occasional gig, which means nothing to me at this time in my life. But, I was treated with respect.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 12:26 pm    

I've never really had a problem. If a band hired me, they wanted to "hear" the steel. One band I worked, in Kansas City, I did 90% of the backup/lead.

I've been fortunate to work with several Nashville singers, touring here in Florida, and the ones I've worked with were not afraid to feature the steel. I've worked quite a bit with Tommy Cash and even when he does his brother's songs he has always told me to "play all you want". It would be great for us steel pickers if they all had that attitude.
Bill Gideon

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 1:19 pm    

Gene, I can relate to that. It seems that I attract the type who really believe that the 'big time' is just around the corner and they can make it with any band.