| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Texas Guitar Player
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2005 4:44 pm    

When I was playing in Freddy Fender's band in the late 70s, I played with a guitarist named Johnny Rhinehart -- a tremendous Texas swing player. This was in Corpus Christi, TX. Unfortunately, I lost touch with him. I had heard that a few years ago that he had some health issues. Does anyone here know Johnny or have any idea how to find him? Thanks in advance. Boo
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2005 4:56 pm    

I would call Bob Clawson at Clawson Music in C.C.,he knows most musicians around Corpus. Also, you might try Bob Rohlf, he played some steel with Freddy also, and I know he is still in Corpus because I spoke to him when I decided to take up steel a few weeks ago....James
Terry Downs

Wylie, TX US
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2005 7:41 pm    

I played with Johnny for a while back in the early 80s and I lost track of him too. He was a great player.
Gary Carriger

Victoria, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2005 8:10 pm    

Boo,
Johnny is still living around the Corpus area...and still picking (great). If I run into him, I will pass on that you were inquiring about him. Drop me an email with your phone number.
I played on and off with Freddy back in the early 80s...when he was only playing around the So Tx area. Did you work any in Branson with him, did you know a fiddler named George Crawford?
Gary
Ray Austin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 5:16 pm    

Hey Boo Bernstein, I haven't seen you since the opening of Hard Rock Nashville. Where you playing? I'm living in Texas these days. Texas Music is pretty HOT. I'm having a great time. Ray Austin
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 4:46 pm    

Wow -- this shows the power of the Forum! Hey, Ray! I just played a gig with Al Bonhomme in Nashville last week and your name came up. Great to hear from you. I'm back playing a lot again -- mostly session work. I'll send you a separate email and get you up to speed.

I also would like to thank Gary for putting me in contact with Johnny. I spoke to him this weekend for an hour. It was the first time we had spoken in about 25 years! Thanks, Gary! Boo