| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite SGR and BB?
Jim Rice

Littleton, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 10:46 am    

Last year at a steel show I overheard someone say one reason they liked these shows was that they didn't have to listen to everyone's version of Steel Guitar Rag and Buds Bounce. Well, being a new steel player I was a little disapponted that no one played these tunes. I must say, however, what they did play was incredible. I was absloutely blown away.

My question to you is what is your favorite version of SGR and BB? and Why? Please include where I can find the version you are referring to as i'm thinking about assembling my own CD of every SGR and BB I can find. After all, aren't these the Anthems of the Steel Guitar?

I'll start:
SGR - Bobbe's version has my attention now. It's pretty cool how he goes into a minor mode.

BB - Bud Isaacs (original?), although I can't truly appreciate it due to the recording quality.

A second on both of these is Mr. Brumleys version (Buck era, not In Time version).

Lets hear from you!

------------------
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 11:01 am    

Maybe sounds a little out of left field, but certainly one of my favorite versions of BB is by guitarist Duke Levine, on his first CD "Country Soul Guitar". With his 63 Tele and a good B-3 organist, they tear it up with some cool jazz-influenced changes.

On SGR, there are so many versions it's hard to say. An old version by Herb Remington on an LP whose name I forget is great, it has always stuck with me.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 11:23 am    

I've been picking the Rag over 50 years; I love it and I keep improving on it. I was taught to play BB in the key of E, but I like doing it in F (keeps the bar down). The last jam I went to, I didn't hear either; too bad. I think most of us like someone else's take on 'em.
Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 11:44 am    

Hello Jim.
As a record collector,I wish you good luck in finding ,and record to CD one version of all the different "Steel guitar rags" recorded.I have many times had the idea of counting the number of this tune,and Panhandle rag too,2 of the most recorded steel tunes to be recorded by the steelers all over the world.I probably have hundreds versions in my collection! Leon himself recorded the tune many times in different studios and settings.Maybe I should do it one day,will be nice to know! The tune is also recorded by many other,non steelers,so there are alot of versions there too.
One of my fav. versions are Jerry Byrd and Tom Brumley-Tom really does a great "Jerry" sounding version of it!
Kindest regards,Egil.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 1:16 pm    

Jim, have a look on this link & you'll find about 9 versions of SGR by some top steelers
http://psg.pl.chez.tiscali.fr/
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 1:34 pm    

If you go to shows there is always those that complain "I don't want to hear "Way to Survive" again or SGR or whatever. I like to hear the different versions or interpretations of the songs - I hear licks that I can "steal".

It was like Roy Acuff, people would go to the Opry and complain that he is going to sing "Walbash Cannonball" but if he didn't sing it then people would complain. Can't win.
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 3:30 pm    

Buddy Charltons is of course the "Standard" by which all other versions are judged..i forget which ET lp had it on it..but someone will let us know. Also Buds Bounce is of course Bud Issacs Live at the 1990 ISGC..and you can only get it at my house...hehehehe..but i will be glad to send you a copy ...
P.S. ummmm Jim....you would be amazed at how many "New Advanced" players cannot even play an instrumental..or have no desire to! i posted a topic about it once...my advice..after this post..let it lay! do yourself a favor, and learn to play them both..so you can always enjoy them...
------------------

Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar..I was keyless....when keyless wasn't cool....

[This message was edited by George Redmon on 09 July 2005 at 04:37 PM.]

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 3:42 pm    

I have two favorite versions of SGR that I like. One by Buddy Charleston and the other one by Julian Tharpe. I like the original of BB. I get new ideas to play in these songs from listening to other players' versions and then I add whatever I feel at the time will sound best. I like SGR fast, not dragging.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 11:02 am    

I like the version I play right after I tell a customer," Nope not for twenty bucks" and they hand me a fifty.( dont laugh it's happened twice)
I have a rule about SGR. --If the drummer won't do wipe out i won't do SGR.
hehehehehehehehe
(oh I'm just kidding I like to play both of them!!!)

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 11:51 am    

I prefer Lloyd Green's version of SGR ... it's on his Shades of Steel Album
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 11:55 am    

Not once, but twice, I've had people come up to me after I played Rocky Caple's Sawed-Off Shotgun and say..."That's the best version of Bud's Bounce I ever heard!". (I guess it was all those I-IV changes that grabbed 'em!)

The best version of SGR I ever heard was by Dave Musgrave, who also did the best version of Sweet Georgia Brown I ever heard. It's a pity that new players never heard all those greats of yesteryear that I've had the pleasure of listening to.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 1:13 pm    

Actually, my favorite version of SGR was just GR- The original 1923 recording ("Guitar Rag")by Black Blues Guitarist Sylvester Weaver which was obviously "borrowed" for the Steel Guitar version... http://www.skybluessociety.org/history.htm
It's really a great record. No wonder Leon liked it.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 1:46 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 05 April 2006 at 04:38 AM.]

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 2:51 pm    

Bill Stafford did some different things in it that I liked. Off topic I guess, I played with a tele player that did it and didn't give me a ride on the steel. Needless to say I didn't wprk with him long, I felt pretty insulted.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Sierra Session D-10
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 2:52 pm    

Jim....did you know there are actually words to the SGR...yep really, but i can't for the life of me remember who sang it...and what steel player played behind the singer? was it Pee Wee somebody? booze sure takes it's toll on ya later on in life don't it!!
lets see..."Been runnin' around, seen many a town, so maybe you think i'm the kind of guy to brag, but listen to me, and see, if you don't agree, that melody rolls like a steel guitar rag..and when they slide that thing along the strings, it sounds so dog gone heavenly you can hear the angels sing...da da da da..how's the rest go?

------------------

Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar..I was keyless....when keyless wasn't cool....

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 2:59 pm    

From the site referenced by MVA above:
quote:
Sylvester Weaver was the first blues guitarist to record both solo and as an accompanist with a singer. That historic recording was made on October 24, 1923, in the O'Keh studios in the New York. Weaver and Sarah Martin, Louisville's classic blues singer, recorded "Longing For Daddy Blues" and "I've Got To Go And Leave My Daddy Behind."

Sylvester was back in the studio again on November 2 to record two instrumentals, "Guitar Blues" and "Guitar Rag." "Guitar Rag" was influential in the country market; Texas twin fiddler Bob Wills recorded an arrangement by pedal steel master Leon MacAuliffe as "Steel Guitar Rag."

It just goes to show that the ignorance flows both ways. The blues folks misspell McAuliff and think that he played the song on pedal steel. The county folks think that Leon wrote the tune.

My favorite arrangement of SGR is Speedy West's.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 3:15 pm    

Quote:
...i can't for the life of me remember who sang it...

I have it,words written & sung by Merle Travis on an old (as if there were any new) 10" Capitol LP. Cliffie Stone is,also,credited with co-writing it,however,who's to know,since all the writers have passed on.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 4:59 pm    

One thing sure, you'll probably never hear another version of "Steel Guitar Rag" like mine.
I have heard everyones version from the original that Mark Van and Bobby Lee have mentioned to the favorite of mine throughout my youth, the "Jerry Byrd" version on Mercury in 1952. To me, this was the true standard of this song. Every other version was a copy, hence, my total different approach to it by doing it totally differently in "E minor"
If you have spent a lifetime playing this song over and over the standard way, you also will be looking for a unique version to keep you from going nuts.
I made a vow many years ago that I'd never record SGR, or Panhandle Rag, TN. Waltz, Remington Ride, Bud's Bounce and Rose City Chimes. However, over the years, many folks have asked me to do an album of just these "Old Classics". I buckeled and did the CD with a fine bunch of Austin TX. musicians. I don't feel that my version of "Rose City Chimes" could have had a better back up feel regardless of where in the world it was done. These "old timers in TX. know what a great old western swing feel is. I'm happy to have tapped into it. I have the sad feeling that it won't be around a lot longer. I love that old western swing!
This whole album came out with a total different "feel" than any of my Nashville sessions, the four fiddles were so great, lead guitar and rhythm section was truly different, but incredible.
The fanatic precision that I always strive for in my CDs is not on this CD, however, it has a soulful quality that no amount of precision recording could deliver.

Thank you my Texas friends,
I may be back and do another one someday.

Bobbe
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 12:18 am    

I have a snippet(1 minute?) of Steel Guitar Rag recorded off the radio in 1969. It was a 10 or 15 minute Airforce Recruiting Show and they used SGR to close the show.
I have no idea who the steeler was, but I heard that Hal Rugg did some of those shows.??

ROGER
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 1:10 am    

Quote:
It just goes to show that the ignorance flows both ways. The blues folks misspell McAuliff and think that he played the song on pedal steel. The county folks think that Leon wrote the tune

The blues folks misspell "McAuliff"? Guess Scotty can't spell it either, his website for the SGHOF says, "Leon McAuliffe".

Songfile.com credits Steel Guitar Rag to:

L. MC AULIFFE, M. TRAVIS, C. STONE

Is that another L. McAuliffe Songfile's giving credit to?

Yes, I know that an arrangement is given credit in this way, not just the original songwriters, but so Leon based his version on an older Guitar Rag.... is it still really the same song?

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 11 July 2005 at 03:27 AM.]

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 6:30 am    

Hey CrowBear, thanks for the link. Now I have a lot more samples to hear and try to figure out.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 6:38 am    

As far as the SGR lyrics go, there's a nice version with Johnny Cash's vocals on Robby Turner's "Man Of Steel" CD.

Yes, Jim, if you can find a copy to listen to, it's unarguably obviously the same song. Slight difference in the bridge, but by today's definitions definitely plagiarism. Interesting to think a whole career was kicked off by "borrowing" something.

From texasplayboys.net:
Quote:
His signature song was "Steel Guitar Rag", a tune he apparently adapted from a combination of Sylvester Weaver's "Guitar Rag" and part of the Hawaiian song "On The Beach At Waikiki."

There's lots on the net about it, try a google on "Sylvester Weaver + Guitar Rag"

Some sites even alledge outright racism. http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/view/750/1/81
Those were of course, different times...
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 10:31 am    

SRG, Buddy Charleton (and most defintely Leon Rhodes), I beleive the LP was titled "Introducing the Texas Troubadors" or someting like that. The Album picture has the whole band, including Jack Drake (Pete's brother) on bass, and I believe Jack Green on drums... and even the bus driver in his own Nudie suit! If anyone's interested I have the record and can get the order numbers off it.

BB - By far my fav is Tom Brumley when featured on an album for the Buckaroos. ("Tom Cattin'" is another good instrumental by him around this time).

Loyd Green does get first Sythethiser on SGR!

------------------
Dave Wren
'95Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Session500; Hilton Pedal
www.ameechapman.com

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 12:10 pm    

.....and when you stomp your feet, you're heart will beat..the rhythm to that old steel guitar rag....
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 12:35 pm    

Looks like I misspelled McAuliffe, too.