| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Willie Eason passes
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 10:30 am    

Pioneer "sacred steel" guitarist Willie Eason died at 2:50 pm yesterday, June 16, 2005, at St. Anthony's Hospital in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Willie was born in 1921 in the LaCrosse community of Schley County, Georgia, near Ellaville and Plains. His family moved to Philadelphia, PA before he was a year old.

In Philadelphia circa 1936, his older brother, Troman (1905-1949), took lessons from a Hawaiian steel guitarist named Jack, whom he heard playing live over the radio. Inspired by Troman's success with the steel, Willie took up the instrument and played it in the House of God, Keith Dominion church his family attended. By 1940, he began to travel the eastern US from New York to Miami to play for revivals, church meetings, and later, on street corners. He recorded seven 78 rpm records, including two on which the Soul Stirrers--arguably the most popular black gospel quartet of the day--sang backup as Willie sang lead and played fills on his Epiphone Electar.

Willie was tremendously popular among the House of God congregants and the inspiration for dozens, if not hundreds, to take up the electric steel guitar. Today the steel guitar (which many House of God congregants still refer to as the "Hawaiian guitar") is the dominant instrument in that church as well as a related organization, the Church of the Living God, Jewell Dominion.

Willie is survived by his wife Jeannette and a large extended family.

He was a wonderful, unforgettable soul who loved life and lived it fully and passionately.

Rest in peace, Willie. We'll miss you.
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 11:42 am    

What sad, sad news. It was real thrill getting to meet Willie at the Sacred Steel convention three years ago, and I'm continually reminded of his presence thanks to one of Bob's beautiful photos in my study. A brilliant musician and a warm, generous soul. My condolences to Jeannette and the family.
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 12:09 pm    

Although I did not have a chance to meet Willie Eason, I treasure the few recordings and video I have of him.

Rest in peace, and thank you for all you have contributed to the Sacred Steel guitar tradition.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 12:15 pm    

Moved to "Our Extended Family".