| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weissenborns and string tension...concerns?
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 10:24 pm    

Hi Folks,
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a second-hand Superior Weissenborn guitar, and I'd like to get some ideas about the correct string gauges to use with this guitar before I tune it up. I know that these have hollow neck, so I guess there is not a truss rod or any type of steel reenforcement for the neck, so I don't want to introduce too much string tension and hurt the guitar: is this a legitimate concern? The guitar I'm waiting for has a set of .016-.056 bronze wound resophonic guitar strings on it already; what would be a good (and safe!) tuning to use with these strings? I'm thinking of going with an open D tuning (D-A-D-F#-A-D): will a set of .016-.056 work for this tuning with a hollow neck Weissenborn style guitar? Again, I'm concerned with the possible damaging effects of string tension on an unreenforced hollow neck.

Thank you!
Cliff

[This message was edited by Cliff Kane on 12 October 2005 at 11:27 PM.]

Dean Parks

Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 11:24 pm    

Cliff-

I use Earthwood Light Gauge (Ernie Ball). That's an .011 on top, you can check the EB website for the rest. I keep it in the D tuning you mention, or a G tuning (like slack key), or E (a full step up from D tuning), or, standard guitar tuning. This thing sounds great with these strings, to me.

I tried to tune it higher once, and I don't remember what exactly, but it popped something... Bridge or brace... not good! These are delicate, but beautiful, instruments.

It will be interesting to see what strings others use.

PS (edit) .. In re-reading your post, I see "Superior Weissenborn", and woops, I was talking about a "real" one... these copies may be stronger, I've not seen one.

-dean-

[This message was edited by Dean Parks on 13 October 2005 at 12:29 AM.]

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 11:53 pm    

Thanks for the good advice, Dean. I'll try those. My local shop has them for standard acoutic guitar. That's good that they work for all of those different tuning; I thought I would need a different set for going to a G tuning, and that's probably the other tuning I would want to use for this guitar. I've heard that the copies are delicate too.

Cliff
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2005 1:27 am    

I use .015 - .056 on my Lazy River weissenborn, tuned to D or G, without any problems at all. Never had any problems with those strings back when I had a Superior either,- you don't need to go down to a .011 set, that sounds terribly light to me.

The neck will be alright, it's the top and the bridge you need to keep an eye on if you put to much tension to a weiss.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2005 3:48 am    

I had a Goldtone Weissenborn copy for a while, and used .016-.056 dobro strings on it. .011's would be sloppy loose for open D.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2005 6:35 am    

Cliff,
I play a Superior Weissenborn and was concerned about string gauges and tension on the guitar. I checked around and wound up putting a set of Newtone "Aloha" strings on it. They are supposed to come up to pitch with less stress and tension on the instrument. I am real pleased with the strings. I tune my guitar to an A, high bass, tuning so ordered a custom gauged set for my Weissenborn.
If you are interested, Newtones are available from Guitar Gallery @ www.guitargal.com
Erv
Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2005 9:42 pm    

So what tunings do you normally use on a Weissenborn? What did they use back in the old days?
Max Laine

Pori, Finland
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2005 9:53 pm    

My Ã…berg Weissenborn has been stringed with .016-.056's from the day I got it. I tune it to open G (DGDGBD) or open D (DADF#AD), and sometimes to open C (CGCGCE) but then I'll take cover when bringin that high E up to pitch
Here's the guitar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxtheman/sets/1099335/show/