| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Always - Patsy...' - thanks to Bud Vanderberg!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 12:10 pm    

I was recently offered a three-week run of this show in Bradenton, FL at the Manatee Playhouse. This is a community theatre and their funds are somewhat limited, so they were able to pay me a professional wage but unable to offer me accommodation.

Bud Vanderberg very kindly offered me a place to stay just ten miles from the venue - without his kindness I'd have had to turn this one down. He lives on a golf-course, has a room full of pedal steels, and cooks a wonderful breakfast! It was almost like being at home.....

Bud continues to make great progress as a steel player - he gets better every time I see hime play!

The gig was another story. We had a great bass-player (John Miller from the local symphony) but the other players were a trial. That's community theatre for you - a bit of a compromise all 'round. Our 'Patsy' was, to be fair, very good indeed, but it's hard work trying to hold back racing tempos from the steel-guitar chair....

It was nice to see a couple of visiting steel players who came by to say hello, but I can't say I was sorry when the curtain fell for the last time.

So - thanks to Bud I was able to earn a few dollars, hit some golf balls, and talk steel guitar and WW2 'Warbirds'. I also managed to put on a pound or two....

RR

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 25 May 2005 at 01:12 PM.]

Al Starnes

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 7:31 am    

I was in Bud's area recently while visiting family and also feel compelled to comment on Bud's hospitality. I spent the better part of two afternoons talking steel with Bud and Roger and listening to them both play. What a pleasure it was to hear Bud and Roger; they're both great players and I enjoyed every minute of my visit.

I also got to hear Roger in the Patsy Cline show. If he comes to your town, try to get out and hear the show; it's worth the effort if Roger's the steeler.

Before I left, Bud loaded me down with some instructional stuff, a CD and rhythm tracks. I left the rhythm tracks behind, but no problem, Bud has them in the mail already.

Bud, you're a class act, thanks once again for your hospitality; I hope we get to do it again soon.

Al Starnes
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 9:35 am    

Roger,

Bud and I met for the first time over 50 years ago in what now seems like another world. You are right. Like a fine wine, Bud just gets better in every way with age.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 5:16 pm    

Roger-I have known Bud for quite a while, last fall he was over to my house and I played a few old Big Band tunes on my MSA Millenium.

He helped me a lot that day with my Band In A Box program., I appreciated it. Bud is a great guy and a good musician. I hope he has the time to stop over this summer....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 5:25 pm    

Hey, Al Starnes - thanks for coming to see the show. We had our problems on the bandstand ( ), but I appreciated your nice comments afterwards.

Al Marcus and Roy Ayres - I hear so much about you guys from Bud, and here on the Forum; I hope I get to meet you both one day soon. Bud told me about the stuff you played him on the MSA....

I think we need to be careful about overdoing it, or he'll get to be unmanagable, but he also bakes a pretty good loaf of bread - I should know, as I demolished about ten of them single-handed over the last three weeks. He also helped ME with BIAB - he's pretty computer-literate for an old guy....

I also LOVE that blue LeGrande 111 of his, but he won't part with it!

RR
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 12:16 pm    

I thank my steel guitar friends for the comments. I know a class act when I see one and you all fit the bill..

Bud
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2005 5:34 pm    

Great story. Great friends.
I would like to try my hand at this someday.

Ron