| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stunningly Nice Hawaiian Steel CDs
Ron Deardorff

Capitola, CA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2005 1:43 am    

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/html/albums.html (with sound clips)

If you're into the "Hawaii Calls" genre of steel, you should definitely check out the "Live at the Castaways Vol. 1 and 2" by forum member Basil Henriques and his Waikiki Islanders. I've just recieved Vol 1, and there were two tracks in particular ("Adventures in Paradise" and "Sweet Leilani") that just absolutely had me collapsed on the floor with some of the most exquisitely beautiful and psychedelic steel guitar I've ever heard. Forgive me if I come off a little nuts here, but it just blew my mind right to the top of the palm trees. This is as dreamy and lush as I've heard a steel get. I'll probably be getting all of his CDs once I've got my Hilton pedal, but the two live ones in particular are, to me, just jawdroppingly gorgeous.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2005 1:07 am    

Mahalo Ron...you're too kind..
I thought these albums were a "Well Kept Secret"..

"Adventures in Paradise" is a little unusual because we added a 2/4 bar in a couple of places, (Frank's singing is so velvety) and "Sweet Lielani" is always in my repertoire primarily because it's a favourite of Lorene and Art Ruymar' (And Keoki)
BUT now that you've brought this album to the attention of the whole world, I'd better start practicing the version of 'Maui Chimes' we played so long ago..
If anyone reading this is interested,just to whet your appetite :- Click for Maui Chimes

It's a complete tune (4.1Meg) so the download time depends on your connection speed.(Typically one and a half minutes)
Tunings are A6, E13 and C6. With some "Behind the bar bends"

BTW listen out for the "A" harmonic 3 octaves up, played on the third string at fret 2 and a half!!
Baz

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

[This message was edited by basilh on 04 October 2005 at 02:09 AM.]

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2005 3:16 am    

Very nice Basil. I'm still tryin to figure out how to do those harmonics and not havin too much luck with them. You make is sound too too easy.
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2005 3:25 am    

nice going baz, would love to see your fingers move at those supersonic speeds!!
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2005 11:44 am    

Baz...You mentioned me in the same breath as "SWEET LEILANI" regarding the way you played it many years ago at the "CASTAWAYS". Let me say one thing...I have heard a lot of versions of this song, many of them great. Your version ranks amongst the very best. I have always enjoyed listening to it and highly recommend others to acquire this excellent rendition. I used to correspond with the composer, (Harry Owens). I only wish he could have heard his "Sweet Leilani" as played by you before he passed away. He would have loved it, I'm sure.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 1:40 am    

George You're making Pat and I feel that we were born in the wrong decade..If only we had been born 20 years earlier..BUT we HAVE carried on the tradition as long as many Hawaii based families ...Pat's Dad started the Waikiki Islanders in 1937

and just listen to his playing..
BBC Intro to Bill Cox

Ten Tiny Toes

My Happiness

Sophisticated Hula

Basil

[This message was edited by basilh on 05 October 2005 at 02:43 AM.]

Jackiso

Yokohama, Japan
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 8:21 pm    

these albums are no longer "well kept secret" as I am telling my fellow steelers here "you got to hear Baz". They believe the sound comes from where Aloha Tower is rather than where Big Ben tolls. Baz's sound is "tastefully"gorgeous like a tapestry interwoven with variety of sounds produced by all kind of steel guitar picking techniques. Simply a must-hear.
Jack Isomura
Yokohama, Japan
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 7:30 pm    

Hi BAZ....Mighty nice playing for 1937, and even today ! He gets very groovy on Sophisticated Hula
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2005 8:01 pm    

Jeez basilh, what a job on those harmonics. Most steelers only dream of being able to rip them out that fast and for so long.

I was pretty much was forced to learn harmonics from a music director that I could have shot and dismembered and loved it. Begrudgingly however, his insistence paid off. I am not up there with you yet, but I'll keep plugging away at it.

Super job and a great example to reach for.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)