| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour's SGN
George Crowder

Richmond, VA, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 3:18 am    

Last week my wife and I were in Nashville and took the time to go by Dr. Seymour's SGN for a visit. In addition to all of the steel guitar products he carries, Dr. Seymour is a wealth of steel guitar information (as I'm sure you all know). I encourage all steelers to visit SGN when they are in Nashville.

[This message was edited by George Crowder on 04 May 2005 at 04:24 AM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 3:40 am    

It is one of desires in this life to someday shake the hand of our friend Bobbe Seymour,and check out his SGN store..

Then I'd bet we would have have a friendly argument as to which brands do or do not sound good!!!- I'd lose that argument in all likelihood!!

A week or two ago, I read something in a reply he made to a post ...Bobbe said.. ""I am a fan of ALL steel guitarists"" .. I certainly appreciated that sentiment... I think we can all relate... bob
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 4 May 2005 5:39 am    

Perhaps the Grey Line bus tour of stars homes will pull up in front of Bobbe's shop, and the tour guide will give a description "On your right you will see an actual steel guitar shop".

'tis my wish to visit, too.

Drew
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 1:26 pm    

Ive been told that if you visit Bobbe at Steel Guitar Nashville to keep a close eye on your wife cause that Bobbe Seymour is an awful charmer! My wife brought his "Silent Night" CD in to work and they played it through the factory sound system and now all the women at work like Bobbe seymour too!! How you gonna compete with that?

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,Steelking,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor"Virginian"

"Theres been an awful murder, down on music row"

Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 3:46 pm    

Hmmmm,,

My wife was in Nashville a few weeks back, and was going to go by his store, but he wasn't there that day...

Maybe that was a good thing!!! LOL...
One of these days I'm gonna make it there and shake his hand..
Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/4, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

[This message was edited by Larry Strawn on 04 May 2005 at 04:48 PM.]

Barry Brown

Calhoun, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 5:11 pm    

I am just A beginner, I bought my guitar from bobbe seymour and he is A very nice person. he took time and played about four gospel songs for me, my wife and son.
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 5:37 pm    

Bobbe is the best!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,Steelking,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor"Virginian"

"Theres been an awful murder, down on music row"

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 May 2005 7:12 pm    

Never been to SGN yet. I am planning on it though. I'd like to meet Bobbe. A family friend of mine for many years plays music with Bobbe sometimes or at least he used to. His name is Bob Saxton. Bob is one of the best I've ever heard on guitar. Magic touch.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 6:31 am    

I have made numerous purchases from Bobbe, and have spoken with his SGN team a few different times; they are uncompromisingly friendly, helpful and extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of the instrument. You don't come by that expertise for nothing, and it is a rare experience to talk to such friendly folks in the music industry.

------------------
Sierra S8, Gibson GA30RVT, Peavey Delta Blues, Regal Dobro heavily modified, Teese RMC2 Wah, Proco Rat, pyrex and bakelite bars

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 8:43 am    

Bobbe, I was listening to the "Masters" CD this weekend whilst driving around an I gotta tell ya, what you did at the end of "Faded Love", the little sequential series of associated chords, sounded like conjugating a verb into 17 pluperfects. Absolutely beautiful.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 6:03 pm    

I know, you guys are only saying all this stuff because its true.!!! Ha!

I thank you all profusley!

All of you that have come by to visit and all that want to come by to visit, I'll try to make your stay as fun as I possibly can.
I realize that it is quite an effort and ordeal for many of you to get to Nashville, so I am very flatterd to have you come by to see me and say hello when you can.
I'll have a lotta' goodies for you to see and play.

Your friend in great appreciation,
Bobbe Seymour
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 5:25 am    

Several years ago I visited Nashville and stopped by SGN (Goodlettsville, next to the DQ.

Bobbe was really nice and ended up selling me a really nice Black Emmons LL II D-10.

I have been back a few times since and run into Bobbe at several shows. He ALWAYS remembers my name and is very friendly. I wish I could spend more time with him if i am able to ...he is a wealth of information.

Considering how many customers he has across the USA...it always impresses me that he remembers my name.

A trip to Nashville is not complete without a visit to SGN!

Tim

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 06 May 2005 at 06:27 AM.]

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 6:02 am    

Bobbe, we're planning a trip down to Nashville on the 25th of this month. I hope to get to see you again. Need some more Cobra strings.
Michael Lewis

Post  Posted 6 May 2005 6:59 am    

Just my 2 cents.............One of the steel community's finer assets is Bobbe Seymour and SGN. Here in Southeast Florida there really isn't a store that even stocks steel guitars. I got into Nashville and got a friend to take me to Hendersonville and found Bobbe and company. He took all the time, played a great array of different steels and I left with a D10 Fessy and lots of other stuff. That day started a friendship that endures. Always an open encyclopedia of steel and a better friend won't be found!
Mike
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 10:08 am    

I echo what Michael said. Oh, he's quick with a funny line, and likes to have a laugh-a-minute when possible, but under that glib exterior beats a heart of gold, a true gentleman, and a friend who will never turn his back on you. I'm proud to have him count me as a friend.
Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 11:18 am    

As Bobbe always says, "Your place is mine!"
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 6:00 pm    

You guys know what, keep this up and I think I'll start a steel guitar store and sell stuff to all of you, and give away a lot of stuff, and then I'll buy a airplane and fly around to steel guitar shows and play for ya'! Then I'll build a big web-site and hire some pretty girls to work at the store, then,,,,,,,,naw, it would never work, forget it, just a dream.
But you know what? With Great friends like you guys here, I could do anything!

Your appreciative friend,
Bobbe
www.steelguitar.net
Billy Joe Bailey

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 7:00 pm    

Hey Bobbe just put a store in every town employ girls only,honey draws fly's.
You could even clone your plane so you would have more than one of them get around in

[This message was edited by Billy Joe Bailey on 07 May 2005 at 08:01 PM.]

Kenny Drake

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 7:56 pm    

I visited Bobbe last Saturday for the first time in many years, and what a great time I had. He's always been there for you when you need him, and his generous help and advice has always been invaluable. Folks, if we didn't have Bobbe Seymour, we would have to invent him! Bobbe, thanks for a most memorable time. I plan to visit you again soon.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 8:19 pm    

I've been to Steel Guitar Nashville a lot of times and it's my favorite music store. I love walking into a store filled with steel guitars. Bobbe has helped me with all of my steels, my Emmons, Morrell lap steel, and my GFI. I first went to SGN when it was still in Goodlettsville. Steel Guitar Nashville is really awesome! Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 7:55 pm    

Yep, there's only one Bobbe Seymour! (Not that that's a bad thing... )

I first met Bobbe when he had Steel Guitar World in Millersville. It was the early 80's. I've bought many steel guitars from Bobbe over the years, and he's always been very fair with me. Even gave me some free stuff a time or two...no free steel guitars, but I'm still working on that!!!

I'm glad to be able to call Bobbe a friend.

Lem
Roger Woods

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 1:26 am    

First time I met Bobbe.

Back in the late 80’s or 90’s, memory gone to hell lately, might be the cheap beer and too many Philly Titan cigars, I was coming back from doing some picking with the Texas Outlaw Band from east Texas. A year or so later, we did one of them “Governor for a Day” deals in Austin, and a picking night with the Gov, a bunch of regular folks, and some Austin big-time-politicians at a German beer joint right near the dome. Surprised the hell out of me that the Gov was a right good singer.

I was headed back to home in Norfolk, VA where I picked with Jerry Nance, great lead picker, and Bob Twisdale, bass picker. I still joke to Bobbe that I is Twisdale’s worst nightmare come true when I pick steel.

New Year’s eve, pulled into Bobbe’s place, it was in a shopping center, forgot the town. I don't think it was where he is now. Walked in, met him, and we was shooting the breeze. He said he had a gig for me that night. Some club owner was booking the pickers—an arrangement I learned years ago to never go for—and said the job paid some little amount of money. Bobbe said he had already declined the offer. I did, too. We had a chuckle about the offer. A lady came in with a bass amp she said was rattling or distorting and she had a gig that night. I took her bass, cranked up the volume and ran through a bunch of scales and picking but never could get the amp to rattle, etc. I remember thinking that could it be the stage floor doing some stuff and causing the problem.

I must say that I thought it would have been right great to have been able to brag to other musicians that I had picked in Nashville. Yeah, I know! One night, big deal!

If I recall correctly, Bobbe did a jam session at Gabe’s the next year when I was in Nashville. I went to the club and heard some real great music from top musicians. I didn’t even think about asking if I could drag out my steel and jam ‘cause all them other musicians was way better than I will ever be. But, you can bet your butt I would have loved to have done so!!!

Hint to Bobbe—can I join you with my ax for a couple of songs at some future jam session? If I ain’t up to it, you can kick my big, fat, butt off the stage. Or, tell me to grab a lead guitar, back along the wall, play soft, and don’t make waves. Big smile.

Bobbe had a green colored steel in the store that had Lloyd Green’s set up on it, or could have been one of Green’s old ones. The price was great. I had the money in a Norfolk bank, but that was before they had ATM cards. I should have bought it! To this day I regret not doing so.

Been retired for a few years—the SS train comes in monthly—and travel full time. Heading out next month with my pickup and travel trailer to eventually end up at the Slabs for the winter picking season and may end up going through Nashville. Heading out from Baltimore, MD west into Ohio then south through Portsmouth (spent a lot of my early years there) to the Catlettsburg, KY Flying J. Will decide there which way to go depending on road conditions, weather, etc. And gas prices. Might have to stop in some federal campgrounds for a week or two to build up cash to cover the gas. Will have cell phone to access the group and if I end up in some area where pickers are will let them know. Will be great to go see some great pickers and watch them do their licks.

If I do get to Nashville, I is gonna play a tape for Bobbe that Twisdale gave me some years ago. It was made during the early years when Bobbe was picking in Norfolk. I copied it to a reel-to-reel then ran it through a Peavey Musician head, cleaned up the sound, added some reverb, then recorded to a cassette.

Bobbe, you got a cassette player?

Roger

[This message was edited by Roger Woods on 09 May 2005 at 06:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Roger Woods on 09 May 2005 at 06:09 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 7:03 pm    

I called Bobbe on a Sunday morning as I was driving through nashville and he came out and opened the store just for me (and my daughter with the "cat shoes").

He was so hospitable and helpful that I started feeling a little guilty having him open up on a Sunday morning so I decided to buy a bunch of stuff I didn't really need....

...hey, wait a minute......so that's how he does it....!

Terry
Ted Solesky

Mineral Wells, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 7:17 pm    

I had the pleasure of visiting Bobbe's store. Ol Big John took me there to see what's happening. It's like a second home for us steel players. Bobbe even gave me some free picks! He said 'happy birthday'. How did he know my birthday was 3 months before that time? Amazing! I still have the picks. But his store is a great place to see what's new. Bobbe will tell you what's hot etc. so you're up-to-date on equipment. You'll hear it all from a pro.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 9:39 pm    

Ted;
I remember the visit to Bobbe's store! I was there again this past Sat. and saw a guitar that I'd like to own, but; after (2)-E-Mails to Bobbe, I haven't received a Reply from him! I don't know if he doesn't want my business any more or if he's gotten a 'little~behind' in his work¡

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence