| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Stafford has the best jazz tone
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2005 9:12 am    

On my recent trip to Slidell to visit relatives, I went over to Mississippi and met Bill Stafford and his legendary 14-string Excel. Many of you may have heard him at steel shows, but if you haven’t, I just have to tell you about this guy. Hands down, he has the best jazz tone I have ever heard on steel. I have been puzzling for some time about what steel tone should be for jazz. While I have been duly impressed with the swing and bebop pyrotechnics of the Big E, Jernigan, and Jim Cohen, I don’t mean to be sacrilegious, but I have not felt like they projected the ideal tone for jazz. Well Bill Stafford comes as close to it as I have ever heard. In addition to hearing him live, he gave me a copy of his latest CD, “Bill Stafford and his Electric Harp are Going Home” (more on this amazing CD below).

Here’s how he does it, as best I can tell. He plays a 14-string dark lacquer Excel with a long 25 ½” neck. It is similar to a Newman universal tuning on strings 2-13, with a second G# on string 1 and a low-low-E on string 14. Here is how Bill described his copedant to me, “My tuning set up was configured before Newman was playing the single concept. I think Jeff was lowering his e string to get the d note. I took the ninth string off and inserted the tenth string in its place and retuned it to B and then hooked up the lever that lowered my high D# to D to also pull (raise) my B to a D.. Now the seventh chord is reached going in two different directions. I had a homemade double 12 with the E9 extended to include a low E , B, E as strings 10, 11 and 12. Had that tuning back in the seventies as I must be a frustrated cello player and just love those low notes and chord structure that is there. When Sierra informed me that their changer could pull the low B to D, I had them build me the first S-14 with the change lock to hold the Es to Eb. I installed a high G# as my first string because I had a high A on my C6 tuning. With the B6 tuning on my S-14, I now had the C6 chord on the first fret with the high sixth note on top as I had on my D-12. Then I bottomed out the E chord with an E, B and E as strings 12, 13, & 14. The pedal no. 8 will lower the 13 th string B to G#-and when you are on the first fret, the B is a C note and it is lowered to A as in the standard C6 changes. Pedal 6 in the standard set up for the C6 does the same changes in the B6 as done in the C6 tuning-but now the B chord is cousin to the E chord and most of the B6 pulls will enhance the E tuning also. When I am locked in the B6 mode, pedal 6 will raise the locked in Eb note back to E which will put you back in the E9 tuning and with the four octave lower E string on the E tuning, this will give you a low root note on the chord in the same positions that all the E9 chords show up on.. Compatibility is realized in all the other pedals also....Now I see that Franklin and a lot of other guys are starting to pull their first string F# to G#. Mine is there all the time and it enhances much bigger and fatter chords in both tunings.. ninths, eleventh, and thirteenth chords are now ready in both tunings and especially enhances the thin E9 sound....”

I will add that the standard E9 changes on the top strings are also on his low strings. And that, plus the usual B6/C6 changes, plus some things of his own (some described above), give him lots of flexibility on his low strings. He plays down there a lot, plus he uses a lot of really wide grips to add very low harmony when he plays the high strings. This gives him a very piano-like, or really an organ-like jazz sound – like a combination of BE playing low on C6 and Curly Chalker, only moreso.

Bill’s rig is a rack Evans solid state preamp into a Carvin solid state stereo power amp with 300 watts per side. He uses a Carvin XP-4 processor for “reverb and small amount of delay in the second channel.” For speakers he uses two Evans cabinets with 15” Peavey Black Widows. I don’t know what his EQ settings are, but his extensive use of his low strings does not sound muddy, and the mids and highs do not sound shrill or twangy. Part of this may come from a zirconia ceramic bar he uses. His tone is simply a very mellow but clear tone that is the best I have ever heard for jazz.

Bill’s style cannot be easily categorized. He plays some very sweet gospel-tinged country, but will turn right around and play modern jazz. He has a CD, “Bill Stafford and his Electric Harp are Going Home.” Hopefully Bill will respond and tell you how to get one. It is a tour de force of all his styles. Here is a sample of the tracks: Theme from Dvorak’s 9th Symphony (New World), Londonderrie, E Mama E, The Shadow of Your Smile, Home on the Range, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Desperado. It is all Bill alone on steel, with no accompaniment and no overdubs. With all those lows rounding out the bottom, it is hard to believe it is only one guy – he fills the room like a great organ player can fill a church. Some of the tracks on this CD were used in the soundtrack of the Gus Vansant directed movie, “My Own Private Idaho.”

Bottom line – anyone who wants to play jazz on pedal steel should start by listening to Bill Stafford. He has laid the foundations well.
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2005 10:28 am    

I agree and I will add that I love hearing Bill play Hawaiian music. He has the best sound for that of any peddler I've ever heard. He played "Got a Letter From my Kid Today" for me in Gulfport, and when I saw him in Dallas I had been thinking about it so much I asked him to play it again. Beautiful! On the cd he did with Herby Wallace listen to the intro he did on "Little Rock Getaway", great chords. Of course Herby is an awesome player. I guess you can tell I'm a fan of Bill, and if you look in the dictionary under gentleman I think you will find his picture.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2005 12:35 pm    

Gentleman, genius, good old boy, but more importantly a good friend to us, the Pedal Steel Guitar folks. "Mr. Smooth" is a credit to humanity lastly. He and his wife Bette are two of the most hospitable people I've ever met. To visit their home and be treated like royalty is not uncommon. To have Bill sit behind that awesome Excel and render some of the best steel guitar playing ever is an undescribable treat. His mastery of all types of music is amazing.

While at Sierra he composed a book that is invaluable to teachers of this instrument. It should be mandatory reading for anyone that attempts to play this monster. A Gentleman, indeed he is. A terrific asset to the PSG community and in this old man's opinion "THE MOST UNDER RATED STEEL PLAYER ON THIS ORB"!!!!!

phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2005 5:03 pm    

Fred-You have expressed my sentiments too. Does anyone notice he calls it "The Electric Harp".?? Bill is a great guy too....Nuff said.....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2005 5:50 pm    

David,

Thanks for the recap of your experience with Bill. He is truly a unique player, and his choice of material is excellent. Also, Bill is a reminder of how truly diverse our instrument is.

At the shows I love how his stage volume is so low everyone has to shut up and really listen.

An artist.

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessy D-10 8/8, Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2005 5:25 am    

What a treat, especially on this Easter morning. Thanks so much David for all you have said and also for your friendship. It was a great pleasure to have met you.
I really appreciate all the kind words from everyone. David, you mentioned eq settings. I do not use an amp with any type of eq settings different from the standard bass/treble tone controls. My Evans rack pre amp does have three potentiomenter controls labeled "depth, body and expand". I just turn these pots fully clockwise and forget about them. (Previous Evans Fet 500 amps had on/off switches for these circuits which I kept in the "on" position).
Many threads have been inserted here in this wonderful forum about TONE. It is a personally subjective hunt-so to speak.
We here really enjoyed your visit David, and hope you can come back soon
I was hoping you could get to hear David Easley for another concept of what the steel giutar plays here in the deep south. Plan another trip and stay longer this next time.
Thanks again for all your kind words.
HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!
Bill Stafford
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2005 5:59 am    

Bill,

Thanks for the e-mail this morning.

I'm reminded of your beautiful arrangement of Dvorak's 9th "New World" theme.

A couple of years ago you sent me your copedent for your Excel 14, so I thought I'd post it here to accompany David's info on your guitar. And if it needs updating, please let me know. The below is a graphic (.gif), right click to save.

thanks,
Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessy D-10 8/8, Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 27 March 2005 at 06:01 AM.]

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 27 March 2005 at 06:02 AM.]

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 27 March 2005 at 06:25 AM.]

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 27 March 2005 at 06:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 27 March 2005 at 06:29 AM.]

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2005 7:09 am    

Aha Mr Stafford, some well deserved praise! Encore... another all steel/mostly all steel album like GOING HOME; Perhaps to include FINLANDIA = Be Still My Soul? (assuming you take requests).

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2005 2:47 pm    

Drew, thanks for all that. The chart looks correct. Follks might want to know that the additional left knee levers just to the right of the standard E9 levers are physically located almost in the center of the guitar-centered over pedals 4 - 8 as they are used in configuration with those pedals in the B6 tuning. (I call them my inside left knee levers).
Ed, I take requests as far as I can.. Thanks for that suggestion and the fake sheet you sent. And putting credit where it is due, Ed is the cause of the "Going Home" efforts of mine. The cd title came from Ed Packard also when he called my steel "electric harp".
Al Marcus, I had one of those eight string Electrahaprs also and played through one of the first two Fender bassman amps with the four ten inch speakers. (I still have one of those along with the Bigsby Vol/Tone foot pedal too). I really appreciate all you guys. Thanks again.

Bill Stafford
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2005 3:13 pm    

Bill,
How can we order your CD?
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2005 4:42 pm    

Bill. I've always been in awe of your playing and recordings.

Recently I watched "Private Idaho" again amd was dismayed to hear a lot of the steel tracks either edited out or WAY down in the mix. IMHO the lack of your wonderful track ruined the movie.

I know that also local furniture magnate Tom Peterson was evidently able to "buy out' his cameo slot as PPD Police commisioner.

Due to the controversial and sometimes less than genteel nature of the film, did this cause a decision on your part to influence this, was it just a post release decision, or just what??

(I know similar post realease decisions like renaming "Once a Great Notion" becoming some other title is regular fare, and the results in my opinion are no improvement.)

Is the sound track available separately with your beautiful playing on it?

Thanks

One of many of your fans.

EJL
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 5:30 am    

Hi Bill M and Eric. Just send me an email with your mailing address and I will mail the cds with the Idaho track as I did on the movie set. I have not seen the movie in a very long time and do not know what has been altered to the tracks etc, and/or why etc..
I have been informed that it is now out on DVD and the sound track is as we recorded it originally.
Eric, I really miss all you guys there in Portland-home of the movie director, Gus van Sant. He really has a great, and big, movie editing facility there on the west side.
Regards to all..

Bill Stafford
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 8:33 am    

David...it was a pleasure meeting you at RJ's restaurant, and also hearing you play. There's one thing you are 150% correct on, that being Bill Stafford's tone.....it's great.....and he can sure play good, too, (lol). Seriously, I don't know of anyone that has the style and touch of Bill Stafford. Truly one of the steel guitar communities greatest assets. A true innovator to say the least. It's always a pleasure to sit beside this giant of the steel guitar, and hear those melodic strains coming superbly to life with such finesse'. I'm proud to call him one of my dearest friends. Thanks Bill for what you given to the steel guitar world.........and David, please do come to the deep south again real soon......we'd love to have you anytime. HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 6) Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX500; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 9:47 am    

Thanks, Hal, loved your singing and playing. I'll be back some day, but it's a long way down and might be awhile.

Bill told me he was getting the same tone years ago with the Electra Harp and Bassman with four 10s he refers to above, and he says he can get it with any bar. I believe him, and didn't mean to imply that his present equipment is required for that tone. Equipment is usually just an aid that makes it easier to get the tone that is in your head. The major part of tone always comes from the ears and hands, and Bill has a great set of both.

Bill, you wanted to know how to repay me for this complimentary post. Forget it. You already paid me with your inspiration.

I got involved in family stuff Sunday and didn't get up to Covington to hear David Easley (okay, coming home from New Orleans at 4:00 in the moring didn't help). Guess I'll have to save that for my next trip. He has a couple of CDs with Brian Blade, and I'm getting one of those to check him out. Anyone else have anything to say about Easley?

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 28 March 2005 at 09:50 AM.]

Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 9:53 am    

David Thanks again for being our guest at Lakeside Fishcamp. Nothing more can be added to your post concerning Bill Stafford and his Tone. It is truly one of a kind. Bill I will see you Friday night along with Roy Aires, Hal Higgins, Reggie Duncan, T.A. Gibson, myself and others that may come in.

Roland [RJ]Buras
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 1:23 pm    

Dave Easley is the most original and innovative pedal steel guitarist playing nowadays, in my opinion. I have "3 Now 4" from b0b here on the forum, and another CD called "Witchdoctors of the Soul" from his current band Heartifacts. His single-string speed and technique are boggling, because it doesn't seem to be related to previous styles - I've simply never heard anybody play those types of licks before. I read a previous post here on the forum that said he holds the bar up like a pencil and uses the tip to pull out arpeggios? I've been meaning to email him to quiz him on some details, but I fear they might not help me much... all the notes are already just sitting there, after all.
Eric West

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 6:39 pm    

Bill. My addy's in the email. A hearty thank you.

I'll also get the DVD as it appears on my local outlet.

I'm Portland stock since '65, and spent my youth in and out of downtown, though not in the same circles as the movie characters, hung in the same parks, cafes, and later bars, and in addition did lots of structural work on the Hamilton just before they tore it down fittingly for the Mark O' Hatfield Federal Justice Center. I always like Portland based movies, cause they are always shot at my favorite old time party spots it seems.

Your sound track made the whole movie as far as I was concerned.

We miss you here too, and if you ever come back, Harley, Larry, Ray, Robin, Pete, Dale Doug, and the whole bunch will be happy with the gigs you throw away.. We always were before...

Thanks again for the great sound track, and the years you were here among us, the Wild Boys.

EJL
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 6:55 pm    

Thanks again to all. My time in Portland was one of the highlights of my music life and it compares evenly with the award of the "Jerry Byrd Lifetime Achievement Award" presented to me by the International Steel Guitar Hal of Fame Assoc. Knowing that Jerry was the only one making this selection makes it special as does all the friends I met there in Portland. Give my best to all. Eric, I will mail the CDs when your address shows up here...Hope you enjoy some of it at least...

Bill Stafford
ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2010 8:56 am     one more time

Considering the DSSG activity in Gulfport Ms, set up by Mr Smooth is happening...raising this thread to the top seems like a thing to do.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2010 9:06 am    

That would be an rTTTTT, wouldn't it ?? But none the less, the appropriate thing to do just now !! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regards, Paul
Eric West

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2010 3:29 pm    

No kidding.

Bill's a KING of our craft for sure.
I just relistened to his CD and put it on my Ipod.

I was always wondering if Mr Doggett was aware of Bill's tuning method..

Smile

EJL
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2010 3:51 am     Stirring the pot

Thanks guys, Ed you just keep on stirring the ole pot. lol Wish you all could be here this coming weekend for our Deep South Summer Steel Show-in spite of Hurrican season just starting and all the oil we can now bathe in. (Our coast line is pretty lucky so far due to the line of small islands just south of us-but it will be here sooner or later). Meanwhile, we will handle the storms and oil best we can and relieving tension with our music, friendship and southern hospitality. Still catching fresh shrimp and my sister will have a very large pot made for our Saturday show.
We have a great line up and the greatest Roy Rosetta will cement our band stand with his piano talents.
Woody Ledford and Phil Coontz will be missed. This program will be dedicated in their memory.
Thanks Paul, cherish your friendship.
Eric, I will always remember my stay in Portland and all the friends there. Great place.
Ed, you just keep stirring that pot and I thank you for all your steel guitar technical work and great ability. Wish you could be here too..
Thanks again,
Bill Stafford