| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PBS, country classics TV shows
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2005 11:05 am    

For all you country music addictives, PBS is broadcasting some of the old country music shows from the various country music TV broadcasts. If you want to see the progression of steel guitar along with their vintage models have a look in at these shows.

Below are some of the scheduled times for the Westcoast feeds out of Seattle, KCTS. All times I have posted are Pacific times. If you live in the central, midwest time zones and so on want to check for the broadcast shedules in your areas, you will have to log on to the PBS web site and enter your Zip codes.

Grand Ole Opry's Vintage Classics "PST"
Sunday, March 13, 4:00pm
Tuesday, March 15, 1:00am
Tuesday, March 15, 9:00pm
Sunday, March 20, 11:30pm

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

[This message was edited by Les Anderson on 13 March 2005 at 11:41 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 5:37 am    

Les,
I caught a little of the show. It was great seeing those clips with Pete Drake. I didn't realize Pete did the Opry back then. Sweet!
I think the steel has progressed greatly today!

Theresa
J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 7:56 am    

What you are watching are the famous Gannaway videos from the mid-1950's . They are indeed great historical artifacts. I remember back in the early 80's seeing them on the PBS station in Houston . Nice to see some stations still showing them .
By the way you can order these shows in edited form from purecountrymusic.com .
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 8:58 am    

From the APT press kit:
quote:
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Hosted by Grammy-winning artist and Opry member Vince Gill, THE GRAND OLE OPRY’S VINTAGE CLASSICS is a collection of taped performances from the Grand Ole Opry television series broadcast in the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s. Featuring the biggest stars and most beloved songs of each era, the special will include such musical icons as Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson, Eddy Arnold and many others. Featured songs include “Crazy,” “Oh Lonesome Me,” “Flowers on the Wall,” “Ring of Fire,” “El Paso” and “Stand By Your Man.”

they seem to culled performances from many sources
J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 9:17 am    

Wow ! Apparantly its the Gannaway stuff and then some.
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 10:42 am    

I caught the first one.

When I saw Ray Price singing Crazy Arms and heard the pedal steel in the background, my anticipation grew to see who the player was for the instrumental break.

But.

It was apparently an add-in of someone's hands playing a quad non-pedal Stringmaster (a nice sight in itself), pantomining the pedal steel break, but for some reason they didn't show the real player or guitar.

Pete Drake was very much in the picture, but with very little sound heard from his playing.

I got the impression they were not interested in showing much steel guitar, so it got a little disappointing for me. Although I have to say it was good seeing some of the old singers - Don Gibson, Ray Price, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Jim Reeves and others.

What were others impressions?

Edited on 3/22/05 to correct first impression above.

I was sure wrong about the steel guitar and the pantomining on the Ray Price Crazy Arms break. I had a closer look at the repeat show last night, and it looks like Herb Steiner's observation in the "Whose Hands" thread was right on.

Makes me feel better knowing what I was actually looking at.

[This message was edited by Bob Kagy on 22 March 2005 at 10:56 AM.]

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 10:17 pm    

The hands on the Stringmaster belonged to Jack Evins and he indeed had pedals on it and played with Ray on those shows. Not all of them though, Jimmy Day is on there too playing a quad Wright Custom. Jack Evins was on many Ray's Columbia studio cuts too, including "Invitation To The Blues" and Fallin', Fallin', Fallin'", playing I believe the same Stringmaster. I'd be curious to know who added the pedals on that guitar, was it one of Shot Jackson's famous pre-Sho Bud jobs?
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 11:14 am    

Thanks for straightening me out on that Jussi. I feel better knowing it wasn't a faked shot.