| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone else rotten at instrumentals??
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 7:47 am    

I stink at them... Just can't seem to find the knack for making good instrumental music on the steel.. My entire playing life has been in bands/studios.. A few steel instrumentals over the years,but not many. The guys I learned from were not really known for playing instumentals.. Cage, Young,Klienow, etc,although they were perfectly capable of doing so.

Now at the age of 50, playing in bands is becoming less attractive.. I would like to play instrumental songs on the steel to amuse myself, but find it hard to do much without a band with me. .. When I'm with other players, NO problem.. I sound fine.But ,,
when I'm alone I just put on the radio and starts blowing licks on top of whatever song is on... blech....anyone else feel like this?? Pretty hot with a band,but a wet sock by yourself??? I would like to play that gorgeous instrumental music I hear so many fine players post on this forum, but every time I get get behind my steel, I start playing the same hi speed honk and psuedo slide stuff I've been playing for the last 29 years....blah.... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 10 March 2005 at 08:27 AM.]

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 7:55 am    

Interesting topic, Bob. I find that I'm just the oposite. It's much easier for me to sit down and play an instrumental melody than it is to find good, tasty backup licks to play behind a singer. I can do it, but it certainly seems to require more thought & effort than playing an instrumental. Of course by instrumental, I usually just play a song that has originally been done vocally. I'm not terribly hot at playing "steel" instrumentals per se, such as any of the "rag" type songs.

As in everything else in life, I guess we all have our strengths as well as our weaknesses.

Have a good one,
Lem
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 8:09 am    

You two should record an album together.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 8:18 am    

Bob, I'd reccomend getting some backup tracks. Herb Steiner has some good ones that are real long with no other instuments soloing.
I have some good tracks from Jeff Newman (Star Tracks) and Herby Wallace, too (there are others as well).
Actually, the best tracks I've found are Buddy Emmons Swing Series. I bought the entire series and the backup tracks, and have been good to go on the "what instrumental to work on (or just jam to)today" thing.
I made the Swing Series tracks more jam friendly by copying and pasting a bunch more steel sections into the track.
There are tons of fun instrumentals (I just realized that I can't think of a single instrumental that I do on E9th... Go figer? )
Pete B.

[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 10 March 2005 at 08:20 AM.]

Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 8:31 am    

I have a couple tunes I play for my own pleasure now, but years ago when I first started playing I worked my butt off learning instrumentals. You can guess what's coming next. The only tune anyone wanted to hear was Steel Guitar Rag. I've pretty much forgotten the rest. It's like the inevitable dreaded question when you're setting up your equipment, "Hey! Can youse guys play Wipe Out?"
Billy Joe Bailey

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 10:03 am    

Bob if we were haveing a music contest on Steelguitar I would fail it alone with my spelling. However,I have taken afew Paul Franklin-Jeff Newman excitement speed picking courses.Sometimes I'm on my C6, sometime on my e9, Just playing my on music alot a.
Sometime I think I notice emprovement, and then sometime, I wonder?????? But I keep comeing back for more,,,,, HA HA HA .Sometime just run scales over and over. When all that has had it run there is all ways room for BLUE EYES CRYING IN THE RAIN
God Bless BJ
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 10:21 am    

Back up tracks are definitely the way to go. With all that's available out there, there's never been a better time to work out the bugs than right now.! My suggestion is to forget thinking about what another steeler might do, and just try and find your own voice. Try to play songs that you've NEVER heard another steel player play.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 10:45 am    

Rick.. I DO have a voice on my steel guitar,and most that have heard it think its a halfway decent one. I just feel very limited at what we would consider "steel guitar instumental music".. some guys have an easy time with it.. It just confounds me trying to MAKE the melody instead of accompanying,embellishing,working through and around it... I know how to make singers sound good.. I know how to back up another instrument .. I know how to play good solos.. For some reason, I just have trouble playing the same instrumental songs that lots of other steelers play.... I can play several steel standards just like everyone else, but taking a famous vocal song and transfoming it into a nice steel guitar piece??.. forget it.. It might as well be written in Egyptian Hieroglyphics!!! bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 10 March 2005 at 11:05 AM.]

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 11:35 am    

BOB,i love playing in the back room by myself,done it so many years,14yrs with a sick wife,also if i hit the wrong licks,back up and do it again.i'm almost confused when a rythum starts.not good to play by yourself,need that drive to push us.
farris
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 1:18 pm    

Playing a few area annual steel jams/shows is good incentive to buckle down into the details of adding instrumentals to your bag. I've accumulated about 24 instrumentals over the past 5yrs by getting involved in the Jams. And you are free to choose your own selections. I try to stay away from the standards and select tunes that no one else is playing. At the same time, selecting those that I like. Also, I try to add my own style and licks to them. It's time consuming and challenging. But, enjoyable and a new learning experience. I've written a few originals and plan to add a few more. I play a U-12, so I'm always trying to find a few movements or licks that move between the 9th and 6th tuning that would be difficult to play on a D-10 without adding additional pedals or knee levers. A challenge in itself.
Dennis
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 1:22 pm    

This topic was discussed not long ago.
As I said then, No one ever paid me to play instrumentals. I was paid to make a singer sound good.
I guess that's the same thing as paying me not to play instrumentals. As a result, all the instrumentals I learned in the early years got covered with rust....(like me).
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 1:36 pm    

Gospel songs are great,oh how i love Jesus,something about that name, i love to tell the story, many more sounds great just steel guitar.ever day with Jesus ect.
farris
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 1:47 pm    

How about just going through, say... "The Preacher", and maybe "Panhandle Rag", for the next day or two.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 1:56 pm    

Bob...I wasnt implying that you don't have a "voice" on the steel. I'm very much in the same boat. I just came to a realization a few years ago that I had some huge holes in my overall steel concept, even though I was working alot and getting some compliments. I really was in the dark compared to other instruments that I play. I found that learning melodies to songs I already thought I knew how to play on steel really helped me tie some loose ends together.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 3:11 pm    

Rick... Certainly no offense taken!!.. Like you stated[and it is relevant for LOTS of us}.. I am respected for my musicianship by others BUT I am also aware of the "holes"... They get bigger when I'm alone and am reflective on what I am/am not capable of.. ... and they seem to close up when I play in a band or recording session... bob
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 4:38 pm    

I think I don´t do well with traditional instrumentals like Steel Guitar Ran, Panhandle Rag, Sleepwalk, etc. I love hearing the great steelers do them, but I just feel that I have nothing worth adding to them. I do think I do OK with songs that haven´t already been done, or at least I haven´t heard done before. I do them my own way.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 10 March 2005 at 07:58 PM.]

Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 5:11 pm    

Hi Bob:
All I play is instrumentals. I have played with a group for many years and I was the only person to play instrumentals for the group. I was forced to play all of them. I have never regretted that. I backed the singer and then I played the tune.
Today I am over 70 and all I play is instrumentals for people in nursing homes and alzheimer units. I believe that it is one of the most fulfilling things to play, beautiful tunes on the Steel Guitar and everyone just enjoys the sound of the steel guitar. I would like to encourage you to strive to master playing many songs from start to finish on your steel. I use a Korg KR55 Rhythum Machine for my backup and play most anything the people want for their enjoyment and my own. I don't aspire to being a great in anything, but I do love playing and the the most beautiful sound of a steel guitar. There is nothing in the world that even comes close to that unbelievable sound.I believe it is called music to the ears.
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 5:50 pm    

I think playing a solo instrumental is a knack the some have and some don’t. I love nothing better than to hear a song in my muddled up mind; then, pick it out on the steel. Sometimes it comes out sounding not too bad, others times however, jeez, even I cannot recognize the original melody.

Though I am still a raw beginner, I have found that back up sound tracks have made a ton of difference in how I go about playing a melody. I am still very much at the mechanical stage of playing melodies; however, the back up sound tracks have really made a difference. They are a bit restrictive at times but, they still give one a great guideline.

As I said, some people can hear or formulate a tune in their head but, for some reason they cannot pick it out on their guitar’s strings. Others however can hear a melody in their heads only once then sit down and pick out the tune without a second thought about.

As of late, and even though I am not catholic, I love to play Bells of St Mary's. Lots of harmonics and blocking.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 9:55 pm    

BOB, I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED TO PLAY INSTS..AND I LEARNED A LONG TIME AGO TO PLAY THE MUSIC FOR THE MUSIC. THE MUSIC IS THE STAR NOT THE PERSON PLAYING IT.. IF YOU TRY TO MAKE THE SONG PLEASING TO THE EAR AND YOU ACCPMPLISH THIS YOU HAVE ARRIVED..... DO NOT TRY TO COPY SOMEONE ELSES STYLE, LICKS ,PHRAZING. TONE.. IN OUTHER WORDS BE YOURSELF. TO HELL WITH WHAT ANYONE ELSE SOUNDS LIKE..CAUSE YOU CAN NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR SOUND, ONLY YOURS....PLAY IT SWEET,,NOT NOISY.....START SLOW ON A SIMPLE SONG, PLAY SLOW, 1/2 METER. THEN LEARN MELODY, ADD HARMONY, ADD PHRAZING, ADD LICKS, TURN ARROUNDS. IF YOU WILL TEACH YOURSELF TO FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE, YOU WILL SUCCED...THEN SPEED UP TEMPO....PLAY FAST SONGS SLOW, SLOW SONGS FAST,, MESS ARROUND WITH SONGS YOU LIKE......A FRIEND TOLD ME HE ALWAYS PRACTICED SONGS HE DID NOT LIKE BECAUSE HE FORCED HIMSELF TO LEARN THINGS DIFFERENTLY.....SO HOW MANY WAYS ARE THETRE TO PAINT A BARN?? YOU DO NOT KNOW UNLESS YOU PUT A LOT OF EFFORT INT IT, AND I MEAN A LOT..... DIDNT MEAN TO PREACH, ONE WORD WILL HELP YOU.... PRACTICE.......[PS] SEND ME SOMEONE THAT CAN AND WILL PLAY SWING RHYTHM, S.SWING,,,,SWING,,,,,JWZZ......W SWING.....HAVE FUN....JW

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 10:00 pm    

Good thread. I, too, am a refugee of the club/bar scene and now play for enjoyment with karaoke tracks (I recommend Sound Choice catalog--excellent quality and accuracy). I am also boning up to work the assisted living market. From what I've seen, there is much satisfaction available here!

I'm also amazed at the scope of stuff you can do here. These good folks like the Beatles' "Get back" as well as "Moonlight in Vermont."

Sometimes I do wonder if I should sing one or two, but with the compliments I get already (and I'm as 'hack' a player as anyone), my voice is even more 'hack' and just might jinx everything!

LDG
Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2005 11:01 pm    

Bob, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!! It is like the great Bobbe Seymour said in those wise immortal words " PRACTICE" " PRACTICE" " PRACTICE" I have been playing for 51 years and I consider myself vastly mediocur. Which will probably be the case when the lowering in the ground is complete. Keep on Pickin" Ray

------------------
Sho-Bud S-12 and a brand new N112
Jaim Zuber

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 9:54 am    

Bob,

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Are you having trouble constructing basic chord melodies, or do you not like what you come up with?

If you can play the melody, and can play major and minor chords around the neck (and can name what note is the highest in any particular chord inversion), constructing a basic chord melody can be a pretty simple "paint by the numbers" process. I'll post how I learned to create chord melodies in another thread if there's interest. I initially used it to play solo jazz guitar, but it works well with any instrument that can accompany itself.

If you are having trouble coming up with ideas. Listen to (or transcribe) some solo piano stuff, or piano accompanying a singer. They do this stuff in their sleep. Someone like James Booker (New Orleans guy) could keep a steeler busy for a long time.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 10:41 am    

Bob. I've played bass for most of my music career along with guitars, mandolins, banjos, harmonicas, some slide and steel, etc. I never had the need to do any instrumental stuff, just go to the session or the theatre or the concert, sit down, read through the part and that was it. I started getting some calls to do some solo guitar jobs that paid quite well so I decided to learn some solo instrumental things on guitar.

First thing I can tell you is that you have to learn the melody of the song your going to play backwards and forwards until it just becomes yours. You never have to think about the next phrase or anything. You know it so well that you can concentrate on things to do to support it ie, chords, tempo, style etc.

Find the right key and the right tempo to suite your musical taste. It's amazing how certain keys lend themselves to the song just falling into place when your working out the accompaniment for it.

Work out an intro for the song, then put some time in working on the endings/turnarounds heading back to the verse or to the chorus. This is a section that separates the men from the boys in a lot of guys playing. They get to the end of the verse or chorus and then sort of take a deep breath and let up a little before continuing. Good players don't do this, they come up with something that is interesting at these places to keep your attention. Work out an ending and there you have it!

Start learning a great instrumental by a noted player if you want. I mean just copy it note for note. When you get that down, you will have a feeling for continuity through an entire song and it will help when you start off on your own arrangements. Pick some songs that YOU like!! This will make the learning process more fun to you. Also pick some songs that you can immediately use on the gig so that when you learn them, you can go right out and play them. If you have come up with some cool changes and such then make out a chord chart so the rest of the guys can support you if needed. I don't know if you will have much opportunity to do solo steel guitar gigs, but if you really work out an instrumental in a good way, it will sound just as good solo or with a group.

These are just some things that worked for me. Your mileage may vary.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 11:37 am    

I guess it depends on the song.. I can do a hot steel version of OBS, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, A few of Tom Brumleys tunes off the Tom Cattin' album like Runnin Short and Free and Easy,Wild Mountain Thyme,Amazing Grace. and several others, but I hear so many steel players just take a song.. ANY song and turn it into qa wonderful piece of instumental music. I just never had that knack,and as I approch my 51st birthday, it bugs me.. I won't be out rockin' for 22 year olds forever...What do I do with my steel when the inevitable day arrives when I no longer play out?.. Make a bird bath out of it?..

I would feel MUCH better I think, if there were plenty of venues where I could PLAY my steel with other musicians... I prefer playing my steel with a good band in front of people rather than sitting home playing "Steel Guitar Rag" by myself.. thats for certain!!I play it on 3-4 songs on sat nites.. thats it.. The rest of the time I'm playing classic rock guitar and singing old Creedence songs.. I'm getting bored with it at home by myself, and I hate not using it on gigs... If I ever get out of NY state I will MAKE SURE I find a place where people want to hear pedal steel guitar and actually WANT one in the band!!... That will ease some of the boredom I bet! bob
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 11:38 am    

IM in a world of du du , i can't do either one very well.