| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Yikes..I'm almost famous!!!.... kinda...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 12:16 pm    

I recently got an email from a fine singer/songwriter I recorded with, and she informed me that one of the songs I played steel on is going on a compilation CD along with songs recorded by David Bowie,Steve Earle, Tom Waits,Roseanne Cash and others.

Her website also stated the song is under consideration to be used in a PBS special or series of some sort..Of course its no big deal, but for some reason it makes me feel a tiny bit better about my meager ability.. I needed to feel a little better about my steel playing after a few recent statements concerning what I know about steel playing... [NOT here on the forum!!]

Many years ago I did a session for a major label group at a world class studio... The album went nowhere,but did get nationwide play for a while. I got to hear myself playing on the radio several times and it was a weird experience to say the least.

Kind of makes a "hack" musician feel a tiny bit more "legit" if you can understand what I mean.... certainly no biggie,just wanted to share... bob
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 12:19 pm    

Great Bob, you deserve any glory you can get!
Keep us informed,
bobbe
Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 12:20 pm    

Bob, Who's the singer?
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 1:01 pm    

Yes Bob, it is a good feeling. Congratulations......
It can be hazardous to your health to hear yourself sneak out of the radio while driving...............JD
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 2:10 pm    

Billy... www.pattiwitten.com... The song is on her "Sycamore Tryst" CD. It called "Back to Moline".. It can be played free in its entirety from her site. I posted it a month or so ago,and she emailed me because The Steel Guitar Forum generated something like 280+ hits for HER site. She investigated all the activity on her site ,traced them here,found my post and mailed me to thank me.. whew,its a GOOD thing I said mostly good stuff about her!!..

Actually I did pitch a bitch about my friend who produced the album, keeping the steel down in the mix,and having a tight leash on me,but I kind of said it with a smile...anyway,us steel players that are pretty good[95% maybe] but not up to the "big boys" level need our egos stroked once in a while too.... bob
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 2:29 pm    

Hiya Bob, [again]

Can't seem to get to PW's website.

I even tried typing it in manually, but no-go.

Maybe you can finger out, ahhh, what's up doc?

Thanks...

Chipper
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 2:39 pm    

Chip.. thats her site,but I can't get on either!!.. If you go to Yahoo and type her name,it takes you to the site. I don't know why it won't work unless I go to the search engine first. bob
Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 2:44 pm    

Try this URL:
http://www.pattiwitten.com/freemp3s.html
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 2:47 pm    

Bob,
Take the 3 dots off of the end of the url after the .com
George
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 2:57 pm    

I know the feeling Bob since I wrangled a cut on this CD.
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 3:05 pm    

Thanks BobL, that did the trick.

Nice playing BobC. Subtle, not overplayed, and a bit haunting. Yeah, they kept you down in the mix, alright; but.... you are there, I heard it, and it sounds real sweet.

PW has some serious pipes, as well. Great song and one of my favorite 'genres' - half folk/half country.
She's a pro and I'm sure, acts like one. I'll bet she didn't tell you to TURN down.

Hiya brother George.

cf
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 4:16 pm    

Bob, I love that stuff. Tasty steel fills too. Laces nicely into the song. I agree it could have been up in the mix.

I listend to all the songs and I dig it a lot. Are those her own songs?
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 4:22 pm    

Very nice Bob.
Nice to see you posting again Chipper.
George
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 4:36 pm    

Beautiful. Just the way I like it. And in great company on the compilation.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 4:40 pm    

Webb.. yes they are her songs.. She is a great songwriter... Thanks to you guys for the kind words.. That of course is VERY basic playing,and is not indicative of my best playing..,I am much more of a "West Coast" style player, but this is Ithaca NY and that style is useless and unwanted here.

The only studio work I have had for years, is very folksy/rootsy/singer songwriter acoustic style stuff.. I am kept to a very basic chord/background format at just about every session I do. It has been many years[about 13]since I have done any country in a studio. That being said, I still enjoy it very much, and I do get many of the steel guitar studio calls in this part of NY, so I am not complaining!.. but geez, one of these days I want to air it out a little ya know??.. I want the producer to tell me to crank it up, and start MASHING that A&B... can you dig it??? bob
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 4:42 pm    

MUCHO CONGRATS to you Bob C!!!

I can relate as well Bob C, and b0b; Last Train Home has gotten placements on several compilations and tributes, but the highest profile so far ( I think) is the Parkinsong compilation, to benefit Parkinsons research...Some pretty good company to be on a CD with.

I was surprised when I got my copy- I thought it was another "indie artists tribute to another indie artist who we think is cool" CD

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 5:25 pm    

Who's Bob ?

Just kidding..congrats..well deserved..

t
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 6:08 pm    

Bob, I wouldn't call it basic playing. Sometimes less is more and that is a very good example of it, in my opinion. You did what the song called for very well. Nice tone for that song as well.
jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 8:23 pm    

I've been listening to Back to Moline, real good! haunting steel
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 9:29 pm    

Congratulations Bob, and I like the song and what you did on it.
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 9:30 pm    

I finally got it to play!!!
Nice smooth steel Bob,, But yeah,, That engineer could of cranked you up some!! Really enjoyed it!!
Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/4, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 11:18 pm    

I think it's really easy to get caught up in scales, speed, self-comparison to the greats and forget that often times songs call for relatively simple and solid, good sounding parts. I don't think bass players or rhythm guitarists beat themselves up over not playing a jillion notes every time they record? Yet what they do is essential to propel the music. I listen to highly technical music a lot and certainly gear my practice towards the goal of getting better, but technique is (theoretically) a means to an end, not an end in itself. Sounded good to me!
Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2005 11:46 pm    

I personally think it was an excellent job. Ray
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2005 4:32 am    

God Bless you guys! really..You all made my day. I certainly wasn't impressed with what I felt to be "blah" steel playing on my part.. I guess many of us that have been playing for many years and are fairly proficient, have had similar circumstances... a recording to be proud of, playing on a tv show ,getting on an album with national release,anything different from the usual sat nite gig a "le Blood Bucket" for $50...

As a steel guitarist/sideman you never know when something you played on is gonna "pop" and your music will be appreciated by the multitudes.. Most of us are still waiting,, but hey I've got another year or two before I croak,so I'm cautiously optimistic!

DVA... LTH is a world class band! Your playing is just plain killer as usual. Is that band your "main squeeze"? as far as touring/recording??.. Terrific stuff!

b0b.. that instrumental was VERY nice.. Quite unusual too! Relying on glassy sounding arpeggiated chords for a melodic base.. I loved it! Very chimey sound.. was that your Sierra??..you should be proud of that one for certain! bob
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2005 5:04 am    

Hey Bob, one time in the early 80's I played Steel on a R+B session for the group Ray, Goodman, and Brown..( of "You Must be a Special Lady" fame..) I did it at the 8th floor studio of Radio City Music Hall..

I played a one note gliss that maybe covered 5 frets..I did this 3 times in the song..one of the producers had me connected to a Wah Wah Pedal which he operated..

Now this hardly compares to a Loyd, Paul or Buddy lick..but my name was on the LP jacket !

Maybe I'll tab it out for everyone !

What you played was perfect..it fits the song extremely well especialy with the Guitar dude and the whammy bar accents...

"And the crowd went crazy calling for more " !!!!

you rock dude..

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 08 March 2005 at 05:10 AM.]

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 08 March 2005 at 05:10 AM.]