| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New" steel guitar on the way!
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2005 8:48 pm    

Just bought a maple /Lacquer MSA S10..w/Supersustain pickup.Looks REAL nice... Got a nice deal on ebay @ $925 shipped. I see Mica MSA's going for that price,so I guess it wasn't a bad deal.

I guess if I hate it, I can get most of my money back. I was looking for a Bud,but they are going about $5-600 more..I posted on Pedal Steel about tone of these guitars,I hope it is "twangier" and more "bud like" than the mica MSA guitars.. if not.. well theres always ebay!

This steel was supposedly owned by Roy Clarks road steel player... It was purchased in Branson Mo. by the guy I bought it from.. years agp. The guy mentioned the name,but I did not recognize it. I hope he left some of his best licks in it! bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 09 February 2005 at 04:12 AM.]

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 4:18 am    

congradulations Bob, good luck with it!

Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com
Allen Moore

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 6:52 am    

You'll love it Bob. I have a Classic SS maple body, lacquer finish, and it is a great guitar. I have BL 710 pickups on mine and it sounds as good as any newer guitar. The manufacturing precision and the pedal/lever action of these guitars is still second to none.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 7:44 am    

Darvin my friend, You are preaching to the choir!!! This will be MSA #4 for me. As far as mechanism,tuning stabiliity,action,they are as good as anything EVER built and better than most.

I just hope it sustains.. I can alter the tone with pickups,but if it doesn't sustain as well as a Bud,Emmons or more modern guitar[they are ALL good]I won't hang on to it. I had a sweet old MSA Classic I played for about 27 years,but the guitar never had the sustain of my Buds,Carter,Dekley etc.

It is a very nice piece of very light colored.maple. I just hope it has some "ring" in the body!! bob
Don LaCourse

Spring Hill, FL, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 8:42 am    

Bob, mine is to be delevered today,D10 CLASSIC.
BLACK MICA. I FEEL THE SAME WAY IF IT AINT WHAT I WANT ILL SELL HER. I HAD ONE BACK IN THE EARLY 70S, BUT I ALSO HAD A SHO-BUD PRO. I TRADED THEM IN ON A MULLEN. GOOD LUCK, DON.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 9:57 am    

Bob. Did you do the "buy it now" auction? The guitar with the natural looking lacquer finish. If so, that was a great looking guitar and well worth it. Best of luck with it. You need a good MSA as much experience as you talk about having with them.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 10:09 am    

Bill.. Yes that IS the one!,, Pretty nice huh??.. You are right.. MSA guitars and I go back close to 30 years!.. It IS a love hate relationship.. I like the sound of a Bud or ZB better,but as far as EVERY other aspect of playing a pedal steel, I like the MSA far better,and ALWAYS go back to them!...

I know how to coax that real "country"Bakersfield kind of twang out of an MSA...It CAN be done with pickups,BUT if the guitar has poor sustain,which IMO is more a function of body/mechanicals,pickups won't help a whole lot... If it sustains,its a keeper.. if it dies out fast,its down the road in record time.. I REALLY want this to be a great guitar!! bob
Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 8:39 pm    

BOB, DONT KNOW WHY YOU DIDN' GET AN EMMONS P/P D 10 10 10..........?????????JENNINGS

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 8:59 pm    

Bob,
that's just good enough for you! Sounds like a perfect match.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 9:04 pm    

Jenning.. First off I am the worlds WORST C6 player.. I stink.. bad.. I am strictly E9 and don't like SD 10 guitars... Single cabinet only!.. Its funny you mentioned the Emmons.. About 1/2 hour after I used Buy It Now for $925 [shipped} on the MSA, I got an email from a forumite that wanted me to buy His Emmons S10 PP...Just great,,, I said to him "Where were you"??/ I was looking for a steel for days,and just bought one,NOW you pop up.

I probably WOULD have bought that PP for $850 if it was in decent shape.. I like the sound of PP guitars, but I'll bet they are not as easy to set up and maintain as the MSA's are... I can strip one of those down and have a new copedent on it in an hour.. .. They are VERY user friendly!... They sure don't sound like a PP tho'... bob