| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  zum steel what are you thinking?????
Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2005 10:09 pm    

just a little comedy there like dr. phil. ha ha ha . well i have been doing some thinking. and i see all kinds of psg's on here for sale. d10 sd10 etc. but when you see a zum on here for sale it goes quickly don't even last 2 days before it is sold. i think there is a reason for that. i got a zum steel last week and it sounds a lot better than my carter did. not only that but one other reason i went with a zum is bruce only lives about 2 hours away. he has a waiting list. that tells me something else good about these psg's. in my oppinion they are out of sight sound, sustain tone etc. if your looking for a psg check out zum steel guitars you will not be sarry you did. just for what its worth. thanks bruce. and he is a nice fella too. and plays damm good.

------------------
zum SD10 vegas 400
Paul Evans

Oshawa Ontario Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 8:02 am    

Hi Sidney. I have over the years looked hard at the Zum but I ended up buying a Fulawka. It is the the best steel I have ever played. Bob Lucier (One of Canadas top steel players) owns 3 of them now. I also use a Evans amp. Here is a picture of my steel.

[This message was edited by Paul Evans on 17 January 2005 at 08:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by Paul Evans on 17 January 2005 at 08:10 AM.]

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 8:04 am    

can't view the pic for some reason...nevermind, now it works

[This message was edited by Don Poland on 17 January 2005 at 08:34 AM.]

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 9:44 am    

The last several Zums I've seen haven't lasted 8 hours. I think the last one was like 4 hours.
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 11:00 am    

I have played 25+ years and owned Sho Buds exclusively. I bought a double 10 Zum last year and have been playing it ever since. It was like going from a 1951 Ford car to a Lear Jet. It amazes me every time I sit down. And i play every day.......... Bruce is truly a genius. Also he is the nicest guy I think i have ever met in my life. He never ceases to amaze me at his willingness to help and offer his expertise. What a guy. Bruce surely has implanted his spirit and integrity on an entire generation of steel players.

[This message was edited by Ron Sodos on 17 January 2005 at 11:01 AM.]

Dwight Rudd

Danville, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 11:08 am    

Does anyone have Zum's email address?
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 2:32 pm    

I went to a psg jam a while back and I might add that I have briefly played a Zum and I think that it's a great guitar and the action is really smooth; but at this get-to-gether I heard a musician picking a Carter and I thought it sounded great. I don't remember what type amp he had but I was impressed with the sound. I think the musician was Jim Hall, if it wasn't I'm sure I'll be corrected. I play an Emmons and I am happy with it, in fact it would probably sound much better if one of my idols was doing the picking.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 3:35 pm    

Paul, I believe that's the first mica Fulawka I've ever seen---and that wood neck REALLY sets it off! Pretty ax you've got, there--and what looks cooler than an old Sho-Bud volume pedal???
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 5:25 pm    

Dwight, Bruce Zumsteg does not have email, and I think he likes that way. You'd have to call him. Contact info at www.zumsteel.net
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 7:03 pm    

Quote:
but when you see a zum on here for sale it goes quickly don't even last 2 days before it is sold

Well it depends on what color it is. I had a blue one that I never could sell on the Forum.The best sounding Zum I ever sat down behind.I had it priced on the money to.Sold to a friend who's a great player and pretty particular about guitars.I'll see if I can find a pic of it........bb
Dwight Rudd

Danville, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 7:09 pm    

I called Bruce several weeks ago, inquiring about ordering a Zum. He told me it was a year and a half wait, I was speechless, long distance speechless. After getting my jaw up off the ground I mumbled something inane, like "I'll think about it, thank you."
I'd love to see pics of a blue Zum.
Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 6:43 am    

yes there is a long wait for a zum. bruce don't have any help right now to build them. but i can tell ya it is well worth the wait. and bruce only takes $200 down not like some of the other mfg's wanting half down. you asked what would a blue zum look like well it depends he has several different colors of blue. i have to get my camera back and see if i can get some pic posted here of mine. it is black with silver stripes and my name on it in silver on the front. I think bruce has a e mail but it is personal. i figured that if he had a zum e mail that he would spend less time building these fine psg's. i really enjoyed visiting with bruce he is quite the man. very interesting and damm that man knows what he is doing on a psg too. lol. its like this with some of the psg mfg your talking to a company. not going to mention names. but when you talk to zum mfg its like your talking to someone, when you get a zum it is like your getting something personal from bruce. when he builds a psg he puts his heart and soul into it. in my oppinion you couldn't get a better psg from someone else. this isn't just my oppinion my friend charlie in mexico mo feels the same way. there are a lot of advantages to owning a zum. i am glad i made the move. keep pickin n lickin. doc

------------------
zum SD10 vegas 400
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 8:06 am    

I so appreciate ALL the great steel guitar builders who are committed to building the finest steels possible.

Although it is a long wait for a super Zum steel, it is worth it for one of the finest crafted, playing and sounding steel guitars ever built! My '79 birdseye maple D-10 Zum is one of the finest steel I have ever owned...everyone who plays and sees it wants to buy it!

There is an old England Dan & John Ford Coley song from the 70's that says, "Oh it's sad to belong to someone else, when the right one comes along!" Many steel players would say, "Oh it's sad to own another steel when the right Zum comes along!"
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 8:10 am    

i'm a Zumbody too
i got lucky and managed to get a used Blue 1981 D10 9/8
it is such a precise & smooth instrument that i went out an ordered a new one
Yep ! it'll be worth the wait...
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 8:22 am    

Aaaaaaa!!! You guys are driving me nuts talking about blue Zums... I want some pictures so I can drool all over my keyboard. I want one so bad I can taste it.

My dream Zum: Blue U12, 8+7 with a zero pedal and a central knee lever cluster, preferably in a lacquor finish.

Blue guitars sound better!

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, Carter U12
Twin, NV400, PODxt, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.

John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 2:07 pm    

I got in line for a D10 Hybrid in November for Spring '06 delivery.

Now, many handmade acoustic instruments have 5+ year waiting lists. For what Bruce offers, an 18 month wait seems very reasonable to me. I waited longer than that for my Aylward Maccaferri guitar. Same thing with good violin builders.

Steel guitar players-sheesh!

[This message was edited by John McGann on 18 January 2005 at 02:07 PM.]

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 2:46 pm    

I bought a used Zum from Bobbe. It was on his web site for a couple of months or maybe more. Maybe it was because it's "Plum" colored. I stopped in to see him while on vacation and it was still there and I brought it home. I'm mighty glad I did, plum or not! It's without a doubt the best steel I've ever owned. I can't say how tickled I am with it. Plum would not have been my choice had I ordered from Bruce, but at this point I don't care. I can't see the front of it while I'm playing and it sounds mighty fine to me!!!
James
Zumsteel SD10 4+5
Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 3:38 pm    

I'm blessed with two blue Zumsteels and one black one. If I had a digital camera I'd take pictures and post them. One is blue and gray the other is a blue laquer.
Lee
Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 8:51 pm    

I just had my '84 Zum redone by Jeff Sarratt in Nashville. He works for Duane Marrs, and this is a photo from the tour...

I suppose I'm yelling about how good it sounds...
http://kpobluesband.com/

[This message was edited by Kevin Post on 18 January 2005 at 08:53 PM.]

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 1:28 am    

If that were me in the photo, the caption would be either 1). "I KNOW when my solo is!!!" or 2.) "I am NOT too loud, that soundman is NUTS!"

Don't have a ZUM, but sure would like to. Maybe one of these days.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 19 January 2005 at 01:30 AM.]

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 6:18 am    

Love my ZUM! I have only had it a couple of months, but it is by far the best steel I have ever owned. This one's a keeper.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup
G&L guitars
Peavey Nashville 112

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

Richard E. Lee

Macedon, NY, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 6:28 am    

I just couldn't pass this opportunity to jumpin here..with my 2cents as well.. I have had my share of psgs..as well..but this Zum is REALLY special. I like the design and comfort of the PedalBoard in that it is designed to be moved sidetoside to accommodate the players, unlike the Emmons(others?) design that is restricted by the pedal being captured by the brackets welded in the frame. I couldn't agree more,, a ZUMsteel is well worth the wait.

[This message was edited by Richard E. Lee on 19 January 2005 at 06:31 AM.]

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 6:34 am    

I think that a salient feature in business and especially "show biz", is "attitude". I personally like to associate with friendly, helpful people. If I pick up on an "attitude problem", IMO, I'll walk away and I don't think that I'm any different than some others in this regard. When I was working in the selling business, I did alright because I genuinely love people and enjoy serving the public and I never forgot who was paying and supporting me. It seems to me that a positive quality often mentioned is attributed to successful business people. Just something to think about (and it's so easy).
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 7:01 am    

ZUM Pictures galore here:

My ZumSteel Picture Gallery

BLUE MICA (my two tone) and a beauty LACQUER! many other colors and combinations ...

------------------

"I've got the 'ZB Jeebies™' !"

"Pickin' it 'old school' on the Pedizzle Stizzle"
1998 Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: 1973 ZB Custom D-10 8&5 :: Vintage Fender 'Tube' Amplification

www.dvanet.net :: zbcustom73@dvanet.net :: www.lasttrainhome.com
:: My Tribute to the Hot Club of America in Hi-Fi

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 11:54 am    

Blue ZumSteel... go to www.steelguitar.com, scroll down to Steel Guitar Rreference Guide and Resources, click Photo Album, scroll to 2004 International Steel Guitar Convention, scroll to Thursday schedule and click on Roger Crawford. Blue with Mother of Pearl inlays. Quite an axe!