| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I was surprised!
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2005 9:21 pm    

In February, I will be playing with a local Community College Stage Band, for 3 shows in February. It will be their 75th Anniversary show featuring musicians and singers from the past.
We began rehearsals tonight. I arrived about 15 minutes early, hoping to sneak in a get setup and tuned before everyone got there. A couple guitar players came in along with a drummer (who was very nice) and a pianist. The show will have 25 singers participating in it and they began filtering in. The last one to show up was a guy with dishevled hair, baggy pants, a stud under his bottom lip and ear rings in both ears. Really decked out! I thought to myself, "This guy could care less about steel guitar." WRONG!
He came and introduced himself and told me how great I sounded (debatable) and that he loved steel guitar with a passion!!! Seemed to be genuinely a nice guy.

I was surprised!
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2005 9:37 pm    

Quote:
It will be their 75th Anniversary show featuring musicians and singers from the past.

Careful Reggie...you're showing your age now!

Seriously tho...that's great. Goes to show the old saying is true, "don't judge a book by it's cover".

Lem
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2005 9:40 pm    

I wasn't even in the stage band in 1977-79 (Lem), when I attended. But they contacted me about playing with them. Very considerate.
I hope I don't disappoint them. There will be 1,000 in attendance each night for 3 nights, they tell me.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 8:00 am    

Reggie, You will be ok. Were you the odd man out with your clean cut and no jewelry?
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 9:00 am    

I tried to be hip. Wore my wedding band and shirt-tail out!

[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 08 January 2005 at 09:02 AM.]

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 9:11 am    

"He's an OLD HIPPY, and he DON'T KNOW what to DO,
Should he HANG ON to the OLD,
Or, Should he GRAB ON to the NEW."

------------------
Emmons S-10 4 & 5
Evans FET 500, Session 400 LTD, ProFex 11
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 9:39 am    

Good topic, Reggie.

I'm always surprised at the number of young, be-studded young hipsters who profess a love of steel guitar!

Drew

------------------
Gazornktron T-16 w/ FranistatSUX2000 mod

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 10:09 am    

You should see the looks I get when I show up to my gigs to play western swing and hard core honky tonk. People have reeeeeeeeeal suspicious looks on their face when they see me setting up my steel. I've even have people ask if I was the "roadie"!!!! LOL!!!!
Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 1:21 pm    

A couple of years ago I had the chance to play with some of my son's friends who were, at the time, music majors at North Texas State. We played at the Beer Gardens here in Houston. While we were setting up there were people in the crowd that thought we were another punk band because some of these guys were tattooed and had the studs etc. You should have seen the looks on their faces when we opened up with Rawhide and then proceeded with Tumbling Tumbleweeds. We played a set of old country and western and the crowd was screeming for more when we quit. Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover.

Allen Peterson
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 2:09 pm    

Reggie it seems to me that a lot of young people do like the steel guitar and are fasinated with all it can do . At our last Ohio Steel Guitar Assoication Christmas get together and jam there was a young man in particular that had the earrings and such that loved the steel guitar . So i think the steel is getting the attention of the young people . Or at least thats the goal of the O.S.G.A. To help the young and older people learn the pedal steel . Thanks for the post and God bless you . Gary .
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2005 10:11 am    

Hey Reggie,,just simpley run a safety pin through your tongue, you will fit right in, and one thing for certain, the steel playing will be superb. Man I would love to be one of the thousands of people in the audience.
The gospel CD I have of yours , sends chills up my spine.

Wayne
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2005 11:44 am    

Wayne,
I thwied that, buth ith hurth thoo muth!
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2005 9:58 pm    

Hey Reggie,, Show them what (Tone) is. You'll do fine.
Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 7:07 am    

well i have to make a comment here. some might not like it but i am going to say whats on my mind anyways. when i was growing up in the 50's 60's when we was going to go out someplace we wanted to see how nice we could look. a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt and of course some boots. now days the male population don't care what they look like when they go out. i seen males in bars with cut off's on and sloppy t shirts or cut up sweats on. i refuse to change when i go out no matter if i am playing some place or going out for a couple drinks and listening to a band i am going to dress right for the event. around home or when i am working my belgians i ware bibs. i feel that there is a way to dress for what ever your doing. if your going to be on stage i feel that you should be dressed properly if you don't then you don't respect yourself and how do you expect others to respect you. to have holes put in you where you got iron hanging off of you is a fad thing people do it cause others done it. and i feel that is for women and should be done in taste. to see 7 or 8 ear rings on a woman looks trashy to my oppinion. well i guess i said enough to get a few people upset with me now but I AM NOT GOING TO CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doc

------------------
zum SD10 vegas 400
Aaron Schiff

Cedaredge, CO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 2:23 pm    

I try to be open minded, but it is sometimes an effort. I have 3 boys between 20 and 30. The only one with holes in his body that weren't put there by God is the sweetest and, at the same time, the only one who I would never recommend for any job. He is great with his kids, though. I find it confusing. However, they all can tell a pedal steel from a lap steel and a dobro from a Weisenborn.
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 12:01 pm    

" . . . if your going to be on stage . . . (or anywhere in public) . . . i feel that you should be dressed properly . . ."
=============================
Right on, Sidney, if for no other reason than that a steel is such a classy looking thing in and of itself. Fair or unfair, it's depressing to see it played by someone dressed for a backyard pool party.