| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tim Mcraw with Nelly? the rap guy....???
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 12:18 pm    

Saw it on VH1... I won't say anything bad,but lets just say there are things on tv I'd rather watch. I really like Tim's new song [ a first for me]I Miss Back When,mainly because of the nice steel work, but I dunno about this "collaberation"... Its ok if you are into radical crossing of musical styles,,but they usually don't work too well. just MHO bob
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 3:45 pm    

Bob,
The song makes me nervous.

Best wishes,
Theresa
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 4:24 pm    

That's it... it's gone too far !

I'm never buying another Nelly cd again.

-John
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2005 6:05 pm    

John...You are too fuuny
ROTFLMAO !!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2005 3:43 am    

I agree! When they let these g.d. hillbillies mess up good, decent rap music with their b@njo-pickin', cowboy boot-scootin' crap, they've gone too far. Doesn't anybody have any respect for tradition anymore?!?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2005 6:22 am    

I guess when you're on the Big Stage, have lots of Radio Air time and married to Faith Hill , boredom eventually sets in so you have to find something else to do.

How did he get to where he is anyway ? Can we all say... TUGG McGraw....

sorry..even though I'm just a hack..I still don't get this stuff..

t
Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2005 8:25 am    

Oh well garbage in garbage out. but then again I don't have to listen
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2005 11:02 am    

It seems as if some of[certainly not all] the "hot" country "artists" will release a good tune now and then,but then fall right back into the swamp of super hype pop glitzy top 5 nonsense..Listen to "you know who's" latest.. Its about a party she's gonna have. Now what a deep and inspiring concept for a country song.

Another unnamed female country "artist" had a recent song where one of the main themes was about how all the guys were gonna check her butt out in her skin tight jeans.. My what musical virtuosity we're displaying here!! I am remissing more and more to my 60's rock roots... I'm glad there are a few folks like Alan Jackson and Brad Paisley that are not afraid to play good country stuff, and Alison Krause that never strays too far from her roots.

I dunno... I just kind of worry about the state of modern country music ,where you have to pose and posture ,peaking out from under a really corny cowboy hat with your shirt open enough to display your chest hair to be considered a country "artist"..|

Man just once I'd like to see a really fat ugly girl with a great voice get a break and "make it".... Unfortunally,looks are way more important than talent in our society... end of rant... bob
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2005 11:49 am    

I just listened to the song, I didn't hear any steel! Come to think of it, I didn't hear Tim Mcgraw. Actually I did hear him. But it sounded like he phoned in his part.

I just wanted to add that I like most of Tim Mcgraw's music and know nothing of Nelly. People can listen to and buy what they like and not listen to and not buy what they don't like. The people putting these collaborations out have a right to experiment like this if they think it can make a buck and maybe even the artists have fun doing it. Whether everyone finds such an effort musically rewarding really doesn't matter. It really only matters to the people who like it and those that make money because of it. It should be just a curiousity to the rest of us and nobody should be getting stressed out over it. Listen to what you like. I for one, do find a lot of music I do like around.

Bob P.

[This message was edited by Robert Porri on 10 January 2005 at 11:32 AM.]

Jerry Warner

Charleston, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2005 7:03 pm    

garbage is garbage is garbage this is sad day for country music when is this b/s going to stop, i'm glad we have a few left that will still do country as it should be, all the rest is junk b/s.
Ray Uhl

Riverside, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2005 9:00 pm    

I love it when these threads hit the forum. It gives me a chance to voice my continued frustrations with the mainstream producers and how far they will go to kill traditional Country music. Seems every time a new artist comes out with a traditional Country song, it's not long after that the garbage (not my first choice of description) follows. Use to be Country was used to help crossover...now it seems crossover is needed to help promote Garbarge Country. My apologizes in advance for any one who disagrees. JMHO
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2005 5:05 am    

If a really ugly fat girl singer made it in country today.....WOW.....what would you guys be saying about her?????

Oh well, Nelly & Tim are selling records regardless of what we like. Ya can't please everyone. Best wishes!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2005 6:56 am    

sorry, a bit long..

With all due repect, I don't think it has anything to do with "LOOKS", my first choice of music to listen to is County Music, like many here. It has been for 4 decades. I do listen to other music and have great interest in Jazz, Blues and R+R..

25 years ago the culture would have "slammed" any POP artist for crossing over to the CW charts and the culture would have not allowed a CW artist to appear on a POP chart. The CW society was considered a lesser society in music..I believe Bill Anderson wrote the tune "Too Country"..it says it all.

I still have friends that tell me "Thats too Country for me"...and refer to me as a bumpkin..

This has not changed...

Eventualy this crossover stuff is going to create a huge vacuum ..with the likes of the so called Super Stars, the Tims, the Kenny's etc...when will they start touring as a crossover act instead of where they came from, you know roots....where is the loyalty to the venue that got them to the big stage ?

The producers and lable execs don't give a hoot about the songs , artists etc..they are focused on the CASH, and only the CASH.

The possiblilty of an implode exists..which would be fine by me..

I don't begrudge artists who have crossover material but if they( and the lables) are using the CW venue to get a career rolling and they do it on the backs of CW artists who have been just getting by..who have talent beyond definition, thats where I draw the line.

It would only be a matter of time before the working traditional players, you know, the Fiddles, The Tele's, The Banjo's
, the Steels etc..are all replaced with a synth..

I believe there are as many turned OFF fans as there are turned ON fans.

Being heavy and unattractive has nothing to do with it..in my view..

I'm ok with Gretchen I have some doubts as to the direction they are gonna send her..if they feel she is going to ride on Hank Jr.s coat tails they should consider that there would be no Hank Jr if there was no Hank Sr...in my view he is not a top rated performer or singer..I saw him play in a small venue in the mid 80s'..he and his band were..well..awfull..he had a good ego though..

BIG and Rich..I have no problem with them..they are not my cup of tea though..but they are NOT a Country duo..how did they get on Country Radio ?

Whats next ?
Who's next to fall to make way for the next Big and Rich ?

Big and Rich move into a slot, someone else moves out..eventually we will have an entire top 40 Country countdown of Big and Rich's..that is not only possible, it is probable..

I am so grateful for Alan Jackson, George Strait, Brad, etc..for maintaining the value of the music first..

Can we all just imagine for a moment if the likes of Alan Jackson decided that a traditional Country song and Band with Tele, Steel and Fiddle should be put on the shelf and traded in for the crossover styles of Kid Rock ?

Maybe we are not too far from a re-release of
Don McCleans " American Pie"... although Buddy Holly hs been dead for over 40 years the point is still the same..

English R+R came across the big pond and now all the great vocal groups of the 50's and early 60's are doing revival tours..singing the exact same songs..that era never rebounded..it was basically eliminated..

"Hey look at that, they have fiddle in the band, I ain't seen one of those in over 25 years" !

it ain't the looks of the performers...

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 10 January 2005 at 06:59 AM.]

Kenny Drake

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2005 7:29 am    

Tim could've done worse. He has a forgiving fan base, but also perhaps a few Nelly fans will be exposed (somewhat) to a "Country Artist" they would not necessarily have listened to before. Maybe that's good. But I agree things are in a sad state when collabrations like this occur.
Reminds me of a couple of similar instanes when country music went haywire. Remember when Mr. "T" hosted the CMA show?
I think it all started going downhill a long time ago. Heck, I think it started when Porter got a Perm! Smile
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2005 8:08 am    

This is ironic that thread comes up the monday after I played a corporate club for the first time in over a year. It was the same ol scene and not really my thing but I had fun just the same. I did make some observations that pertain to this discussion. rap artists and country artists together is nothing new, been goin on for years.( remember that God awful cotton eye joe thing???) The kids are in to both genres. you will here say, Nelly and then right after Tim and they know the words to both of them. the corporate monstor goes to it's feeding ground and right now the kids are offering a feast of shoppers who are buying country music.If we don't support it we have no right to complain. Rmember the outlaw network on cable/satellite. What happened to it? Did we not support it? Why are their so many top forty radio stations and very few classic country? Did we support it? Yes it's all about numbers to the corps but do we do anything to effect those numbers??? And it ain't all bad. As far as gretchen, heard her latest? WHen I think about cheatin? if that ain't country I'll kiss something. I was in country radio for over 15 years and we had a saying for complaining listeners. "The radio's greatest feature is a knob. If you don't like what you're listing to move the knob."
The music I played this weekend was the biggest bunch of no talent crap i had played in years but you know what? It was reasonably fun and the gig paid better than most. Not my cup of tea but i survived. Sorry to be a winer but this subject is getting old. I think my father said it best when he said," That Johnny Cash wouldn't know country if it hit him the a#$%." Guess this argument will never end. (sigh)

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2005 9:07 am    

Just a quick question...

The possible new fans that are picked up along the way..will they be fans of Country Music or fans of the crossover STYLES of Tim and Kenny or Big , Rich ( both of them ) etc...

will these be the new era of folks that claim...

"Thats Too Country for me " ??

" I like some Country Music, but not that whiney stuff"..." thats too Country for my taste"...

t
Charles French

Ms.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2005 11:15 am    

If a really ugly fat girl singer made it in country today.....WOW.....what would you guys be saying about her?????

I don't care if it's country or not but Etta James can do it!

A friend of mine told me 'making love to a fat girl is like riding a Mo-Ped. It's a whole lot of fun, you just don't want anyone to see you doing it"

George Plemons

Corsicana, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 11:07 am    

Yeah I saw puffy mcgraw on that video...
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2005 12:19 pm    

Puffy Mcgraw!?!?!?! BWAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2005 7:26 am    

I thought it was pretty interesting that one of the really HUGE producers of this new rap/R&B stuff (which isn't my thing anyhow, at least not this radio schlock in that genre), a guy named Timbaland is apparently really into traditional country stuff...

It goes to show that people who are musical, and on the commercial side of things can appreciate a lot of stuff that doesn't actually pay off for them... it's good to be able to keep an open ear and listen to everything and form opinions based on what you like.

That said... I can't stand Tim McGraw's stuff... I just don't have any kind of reaction to it other than cringing and ambivalence. No offense intended, just MHO. Not wild about Nelly either, so this is one tune that can do without my listening ear.