| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who has heard of Frank Arnett?
Ted Nesbitt

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2004 9:44 am    

I have an album of a great steel player from California called Frank Arnett. The album is called "Model T",and was recorded around the early 70s I think. He played a Fender 2000. Does anyone know of this guy,and if he done any other recordings?
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2004 12:30 pm    

I think he might be living around Nashville somewhere now. I like to hear his recording of "Sawed Off Shotgun"... He was a good 'un..JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2004 3:37 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 19 December 2004 at 04:35 PM.]

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2004 4:25 pm    

Didn`t the model T album have a tune that sounded like bagpipes?
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com
Allen Moore

Jerry Warner

Charleston, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2004 6:54 pm    

i we as a group w/ with joy mcjoy to nashville about 1978 or 79 somewhere in there and we were running around on broadway and stopped in this one beer joint and the first thing i locked onto was frank playing that msa and playing it good and i will never forget the sound he put out on that msa and was he playing for money if you call the big jar that was on the band stand, should have been payed a hole lot more, it should not be this away w/ all the assholes making all the money and putting all the players by the side as if they were only a bunch of **** , thats bullshit, all thes4e asshole wannta be 's just don't understand if they don 't have the good players behind them they would not be crap anyway. just look at all the bullshit thats out there today its repeat, repeat,repeat so say you, don't be shy. i know some have jobs and don't want to mudddy the water so be a man or a mouse stand up for what you believe in and get it out where it belong's. so say you!
Mike Fereday

Newbury, Berkshire, England
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2004 9:53 pm    

According to Joe Goldmark's Steel Guitar Discography, Frank Arnett also had an album out called "Country Steel".

Mike
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2004 12:50 am    

I can't recall where Frank is originally from, but I think the Southwest.
He moved to the West Coast, although a hitch in the armed services saw him in the UK where he played in a band that apparently went to Decca studios circa 1959.

Don't have any real info on that though.

He played the clubs around SoCal, in 1962 moved to Las Vegas to work in Norm Owens band as the second shift group for Wynn Stewart at the Nashville Nevada Club.
He left Vegas for Hollywood, etc.. then in '67 he split for Oklahoma and a day job.
Prior to this, he apparently cut a demo version of Scotch On The Rock for Capitol, but they decided not to use the track for a single.

When he cut the T-Model album in '74, I'm pretty sure he re-cut the tune.
He worked with Hank Thompson in the mid 1970s, did a stint with Gene Davis in San Diego, cut a session for Buck Owens (Terry Christofferson on guitar) and so on.

Later moved to TENN. bought the rights to the Crest label, although not their old masters.
He's cut a handful of artists, has a publishing co. and Country Steel originally came out around 1987-88.
There was talk of a CD reissue combining the two solo albums, I've not heard more.

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2004 5:30 am    

I knew Frank very well. In 1961-1962 he was in the L.A. area learning how to play pedal steel. Norm and Betty Owens had a lot of weekend,all night, jam sessions in their home. Frank would frequently show up to steal licks from me(that I stole from Ralph Mooney). It was not uncommon to answer a knock on my door and find Frank standing there with a fender400,laughing and saying "I've come to steal some licks". Frank was always welcome and we had some good times learning together. At the time, we both played a Fender400 and a Chet Atkins Gretsch guitar.
Frank started with Ralphs tuning and changed it to having each of his 4 pedals pulling only one string.
We did work a few jobs together at Georges Roundup.
Frank got my phone number and called me from St. Louis in 1986. He was playing somewhere in St. Louis and said he had to fly out and cut a session with Buck.
I haven't heard from him since. I did see a picture of him on the forum a few months ago where he appeared at a jam in Tennessee.
In the late sixties I ran across an 8-track tape which Frank had produced. It had his real name on it, which is "Francis Arnett".
Frank, if you see this, contact me, I may want to steal some licks from you........JD
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2004 6:20 am    

Frank Arnett
2149 Old Greenbriar Pke.
Greenbriar,Tn. 37073

(615) 643-3238

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2004 7:05 am    

You mean this Steel Player ????

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~crookwf/

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/crookwf/my_photos
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2004 12:46 am    

Frank Arnett...A name I haven't heard in a long time. He used to come to my store and the last time I saw him was at the Gene Davis funeral somewhere around Festus, MO. He sat in awhile and still had that Ralph Mooney style of playing. I tried to work him in on one of the steel guitar conventions here in St. Louis but couldn't contact him. When he would contact me the schedule was already set and I couldn't work him in. Maybe sometime in the future I can get him to St. Louis for one of the Conventions. They biggest problem with that is I am always working 3 years ahead before a player can be on the shedule. The address and phone number given by Smiley is the same one I have. Scotty