| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Julian Tharpes Contributions
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2004 8:52 pm    

I missed a lot of the thread about the fact that Julian Tharpe has not been elected to the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame. I have recently read all of the posts on the subject.
This is just a note about what I know for fact, because I was there.

Paul Franklin said:.....
Quote:
I'll wager that Anderson and Julian probably played more of the earliest steel shows than anyone else.

I believe that the first Steel Guitar show was, and Scotty will verify this, the one that I promoted in Muskegon, Michigan in 1975.
This was the first show, to my knowledge, that featured using a steel guitar in a teaching/showcase format, traveling around the country.
Julian Tharpe was the steel guitar player that played that first show along with the late great Jimmy Bryant.
The next year, 1976, I promoted several of these steel guitar shows from Michigan through Indiana and Texas.
Julian and Maurice Anderson were on all of them along with Buddy Emmons, Doug Jernigan and Curly Chalker.
They were picked at that time because they all were the ones that were suggested to me, mainly because of their great talent at playing the pedal steel.
At the 1976 Cavalcade Of Guitars show in Dallas, Texas, Julian played on the same stage with some of the greatest jazz guitar players in the world......Tal Farlow, Howard Roberts, Bucky Pizzarelli, Herb Ellis, Les Paul and also with the great jazz bassist, Slam Stewart and drummer Louis Bellson.
When I approached these great jazz guitarists, after the concert, about doing a solo album with one of the steel players, everyone of them, except for Les Paul, asked about Julian Tharpe.
Herb Ellis and Tal Farlow also mentioned Maurice Anderson.
Of course, they all knew of Buddy Emmons and told me how much they admired him and enjoyed playing the concert with him and would love to record with him but they were also so impressed by the other steel players on the concert that I didn't have to ask them twice about doing a solo album with a steel guitar player. Any on them from that concert.
In closing I must say that it is my opinion that the great jazz guitarist, Django Rinehardt, would be in anyones Hall Of Fame today, not because of his teaching ability and for promoting the guitar but rather because of his incredible talent. Django, like Julian, also had his bad moments but the bottom line was his talent.
It is also my opinion that Julian belongs right up there with Django and it should be a 'given' that he be elected into the SGHOF.
Thanks,
Dave A. Burley

[This message was edited by b0b on 09 November 2004 at 08:35 AM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2004 9:08 pm    

I hear he was President of the Nashville Steel Guitar Club about 30 years ago.

I think one of the things about the best of our craft is that they often become tragic figures.

Certainly his untimely death was a tragedy.

Now we can ne'er know whether or not he believed that he should be in the HOF.

Maybe he wouldn't want to be.

EJL

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 2:03 am    

Dave.

Sorry you missed the Tharpe/nomination/HOF thread. Your comments would have been welcomed on Tharpes behalf. I don't think the thread should have been closed, but I abide by what bOb says.

The "formal" nomination that Tom Bradshaw claims never happened seems to have happened. Even in the thread he makes he statement that Tharpe was never "formally" nominated. Fred Shannon post a copy of his "formal" nomination for Tharpe that he sent in to the HOF in 2003----anyone who read the thread can make up their mind as to the integrity of one of the actual board members of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. He denies the actual nomination occured, and then you get to read it! Go figure.

As for the contributions of Tharpe, his contributions and his musicianship on the pedal steel guitar far outweighs what he is villified for.

I heard Julian Tharpe play. I never got the chance to meet him or talk to him, but hearing him was a remarkable experience.
Jerry Clardy

El Paso, Texas, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 4:23 am    

Dave - Thanks for telling of Julian's accomplishments. This is some interesting history. I'd like to hear more about the period if you have it.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 9:09 am    

I received an unsolicited e-mail from (a player?), and this is part of what it contained. I make no assertions as to the validity of the comment below and I post it here only for those who, like myself, are curious about historical events.
quote:

Regardless of your position about Julian (who looted the Nashville Steel Guitar Club, among other misbehaviors toward steel
guitarists)...

I'm sure some other people probably received the same e-mail, but I believe it was sent only to those who posted in another thread here on the Forum about Julian.

Again, at this point, it's an unsubstantiated comment, and I welcome any other information. (I'm sure others do, too.)
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 9:47 am    

Julian can't give his side to any allegation from any source at this point. I've seen a lot in my life, sometimes true and sometimes false. I think that when one achieves a degree of fame, with it can come a lot of attention from different corners. I never knew the man but I have some of his amazing recordings and I hope someday to acquire more, if and when they surface. Perhaps there are people out there that were close to Julian and personally knew him. I wish I had, then I could contribute if anything. I like to look at the good side and remember the good times. Life is just too short.
Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 10:44 am    

Donny - Is there any proof offered for these accusations? Were any charges filed?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 10:50 am    

You can order Julian Tharpe's "Take Your Pick" album on cassette from the Forum Catalog. It's item #A-167-C and it costs $10. It was produced by Scotty in 1972. Very hot pickin'!

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
 System Administrator
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 1:10 pm    

I'm with Donny here. I got the same email, with that same snippet about Julian Tharpe. I'd STILL like to know what the guy did that's put everybody off. Somebody shoot me an email????
Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 2:37 pm    

Until someone shows proof, I'll take this as gossip. Julian did a lot and it would be good to hear more of his contributions.

I miss Julian a lot. A whole branch of PSG development seemed to die with him. He was as individual as Buddy and Curly and Reece and Zane and Paul. He was going in his own direction in developing a universal tuning that looked to be really powerful. With very little backing he forged ahead with his dedication to the instrument. I believe he could have been anything he set his mind to and could have made a lot more money but he chose to dedicate his life to the PSG.

Julian's ability to play in any type of band and with or without a guitar player was phenominal. His control of dynamics was phenominal. He had a real grasp on all types of music. The album "Take Your Pick" that b0b mentions is a good example.

In short, Julian made me very aware that there is a lot more to PSG than what is popular or apparent. I wish we could get him back. I still want more.
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 4:05 pm    

Relatively few people are aware of the sacrifices and contributions made by Dave Burley in behalf of steel guitar. That’s a story within itself for another time and another thread.

Julian was uniquely…..Julian! He was a marvelous player and a dear friend who deserves his rightful place in the history of steel guitar. His contributions are legendary.

Bill H….Julian has been nominated many times but to no avail because of a personal agenda/crusade based on unsubstantiated rumors. It is no mystery as to why it is said by a board member that Julian was never nominated. Doing so will provide an “out” should the public demand proof of the accusations held against Julian and they can’t be verified.

Donny H….Unsolicited emails and unsubstantiated rumors made by individuals who dwell in the shadows while perpetuating a personal agenda, is a consistent path of those pursuing an agenda who are afraid of the truth.

Charles C….Those who remain in the shadows and make accusations while desperately trying to solicit others will learn that truth always prevails.

Jerry C….No one to my knowledge has seen proof of anything. I believe those who have passed on deserve the same right as those of the living, and that is to be considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 4:46 pm    

Well, I said it was unsubstantiated, Reece, and I'm sure you're familiar with who is responsible for that e-mail. I know Julian isn't around to defend himself, and I also know that a few people still around know what this is all about. I'd just like to clear the air here, and that's why I offered what I've heard on the subject. If it's a load of bull, then this "character" sending these e-mails should be exposed. If it's not, this might be a good time to hear the truth..."the rest of the story", as it were. People will draw their own conclusions, anyway. But perhaps, with enough information, there'll be a better chance for them to draw the right conclusions.

Wouldn't that be preferable?
Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 6:36 pm    

I agree with Reece. Proof before conviction else it's gossip.
Eric West

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 6:44 pm    

Quote:
If it's not, this might be a good time to hear the truth..."the rest of the story", as it were. People will draw their own conclusions, anyway.

Donny, I'd like to hear the "other side".

Maybe these "personal agendas" can be specified instead of implied as being nefarious without any substantiation, or sued into silence.

Why would people of reasonably good public reputation, make things up, withstand public ridicule for "smearing the dead", lawsuits, and in general, aggravation way beyond anything I'd ever put up with, just to get "their side" out?

Us construction workers want to know..

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 09 November 2004 at 07:06 PM.]

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:06 pm    

Quote:
If character in no way should matter, or "actions or ommissions" as described in the HOF charter are not important, nor should they be, to the HOF, then that's one thing.

Eric - What is the "action or omission" and what is the proof of same?

[This message was edited by Jerry Clardy on 09 November 2004 at 07:09 PM.]

Eric West

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:10 pm    

Well, you'll have to read the other Tharpe post. It's got the link to the HOF charter.

That's where I got it.

"Proof of same"?

I'm taking it that you mean in a Court of Law.

In which state is the lawsuit being planned?

Texas?

I'd have to look the specific state guidelines.

They're all slightly different.

Louisiana is kind of hard to make sense of with their Napoleanic Code integration into some of their laws..

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 09 November 2004 at 07:13 PM.]

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:13 pm    

I believe the innocent till proven is in the constitution and I've read the charter a few times. But what is the charge?
Eric West

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:16 pm    

Nobody since Adam's Fall is innocent.

I believe that's in The Bible.

There's no "charge".

It's free.

EJL
Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:17 pm    

So there is no accusation against Julian?
Eric West

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:20 pm    

Not from Mortal Man.

He's dead.

EJL

Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:20 pm    

Meaning?
Eric West

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:41 pm    

Meaning that sadly he died. Tragically.

Those wishing to dig up his life's actions, especially if they are his friends, should probably do so in private, lest they come up with something that would tarnish his memory.

I knew NOTHING about Julian's life nor would I ever have thought anything but good things about him until people started complaining about the HOF "ignoring him".

Now they're trying to "make people prove" that he was less than perfect".

Sadly their requests are being answered.

Soon the threats or implied threats of lawsuits will start flying.

It's a sorry thing.

Let the guy rest.

Buy his records.

I've got a very good mind, and a sterling sense of impartial justice.

I'm wasting it at the moment.

I hope you people get it figured out.

I'm busy changing my strings and filing down some burrs on my changer fingers from three thousand gigs on a tired old ProIII.

EJL
Eric West

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:56 pm    

Oh and The Law.

Quote:
I Cor 6:7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another.

Now go and sin no more...

EJL
Jerry Clardy

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 7:58 pm    

My problem is not with the HOF ignoring Julian. Although admittedly I don't condone it. But his body of work and accomplishments, which are significant, can be overshadowed by malicious gossip. I still would like to see more of his contributions mentioned and discussed before they fade into the past.

Some of the people who were there still have great stories to tell. Julian was an important figure in PSG. He was a genius, he was funny, he had vision, and now, sadly, very little of his work or his history are available. Hopefully more will be made available.
Eric West

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2004 8:11 pm    

Hey. Some of my friends died and did horrible things along the way along with the TONS of funny stories, good times usually outnumbering the bad until the end sometimes.. I try not to dwell on the bad.

My Namesake and co-mentor Don West didn't do everything perfectly (and didn't finish his life out rolling gold watches down main street).

Neither did Danny Shields, Chuck Wright, Richard Edge.

World Class players If there ever were any.

If I should pitch a bitch about why they aren't in the HOF, and more than one of them deserves it for their playing, believe me, I'D be the one responsible for besmirching their memories.

I don't want to hear every little nasty or drunken thing that any of them might have done in the course trying to "air out and sanitize" their public image.

Some things are best let go and trying to spread the GOOD stuff.

When I listen to the music, I don't even think of the person.

Lots of times I'd rather not know anything about them.

Thanks for the exchange.

Basically we're on the same page, Jerry, if not the same paragraph.

Gotta run or I won't get this thing strung.

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 09 November 2004 at 08:31 PM.]