| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For Dickey Overbye
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2004 6:40 pm    

What did you use for effects on the Jake Hooker double CD? Also what amp and maybe your settings? Sorry about the spelling Dickey.

[This message was edited by Craig A Davidson on 17 November 2004 at 06:42 PM.]

Bill Plemmons

Simpsonville, SC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 9:39 am    

What Craig Said!

The Jake Hooker Show and your set at St. Louis was without doubt the best I have ever heard. Are you guys going to be at the Dallas show in Mar. 2005?
Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 10:31 am    

In St. Louis he was using a Push-Pull, Boss RV-3 w/ and old Peavey LTD, I think Brad Sarno got close enough to see the settings...sounded awsome!
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 12:45 pm    

I was so mesmerized by his playing, I missed his LTD settings. Usually I'm a junky for that kind of geeky data. He also had a Hilton volume pedal, and I think he had old Emmons single coils. Great sound, although sometimes he'd overdrive that LTD and it got a little crunchy. Gotta love that old '66 bolt-on push-pull.

Brad Sarno
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 2:07 pm    

I've sat in on Dicky's Emmons a couple times.
Pretty standard settings..Bass 3'oclock; mid 9 o'clock; treble 1 or 2 o'clock; shift 2 o'clock.
Rv3; left 8 o'clock; left middle 12 o'clock; right middle 1 o'clock; right #7.
This is pretty much what everyone sets their stuff to that have any indication of what the sound of a peavey amp should have; but it's not the settings I'm sorry to inform you; it's the player.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 18 November 2004 at 02:08 PM.]

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 5:09 pm    

Ricky, you got that right! Only four knees on his PP "Rosie" - Dickey told me it's all he needs!
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 5:27 pm    

Do yourself a favor and buy Amber Digby's CD from Dicky! Bobby Flores and Dicky do almost all of the intros, endings and breaks. The playing on the CD simply takes your breath away! This is the absolute best playing of a fiddle and steel guitar behind a singer I have heard in years and years and years! The wife and I are trying to arrange a trip to Texas to see these two awesome players live. The real deal is happening in Texas! Justin Trevino, Bobby Flores, Jake Hooker, Dicky Overbey and a group of killer players. Trust me when I say Dicky is not the only hot player in that area. It is a "hot bed" of killer steel players. What is wonderful, is these great players are let lose on recordings. They are not told what to play by producers. There is no feeling in the recordings when the players are told what to play by producers. I think that is the big thing wrong with "so called" country music today. I don't want to go back to the past, I just want to hear some feeling put back in the music. Producers who listen to rock music are producing country records. Distorted guitars are smothering out the clean clear sounds of steel guitar and fiddle. Just my opinion! Support these great Texas players! Buy Jake Hooker's CD's, Amber Digby's CD's and all the other great CD's coming out of this area. Just my opinion.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 5:30 pm    

One other thing, I almost had a melt down listening to Dicky in St. Louis. I am honored that guys like him have chosen to use my pedal.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2004 6:20 pm    

I want to thank Dickey for e-mailing me the info. The delay on the live double album is so cool that I had to know if it was the same as in St Louis. Dickey you had tone to die for.
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2004 9:16 am    

Chubby Howard played one of the cuts from Amber Digby's album yesterday afternoon on a local radio station where Chubby is a DJ. I told my wife that the steeler had to be Dicky. It was superb playing. Dicky is a monster player!

Chubby also mentioned that Amber is the niece of Darrell McCall. She's a great singer.

[This message was edited by Tony Rankin on 19 November 2004 at 01:51 PM.]

George Plemons

Corsicana, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2004 9:17 am    

I believe Rob Dixon recorded this album and I happen to be playing for Rob and we are in Denver this week. Rob said in the studio version he used a Sho Bud. On the double album live at the Southern Junction club was played on an Emmons that he thought Dickey bought from Flores. Rob also said he recommended another Bobby Flores album for steel players called "Just for the record" that features several steel players including Dickey, Randy Reinhart, Carpenter, Bobby Flores, etc. etc. etc. but he said it was really good.

[This message was edited by George Plemons on 19 November 2004 at 09:44 AM.]

Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2004 4:09 pm    

Keith, I couldn't agree with you more. The Amber Digby CD is GREAT to say the least. Dickey does an OUTSTANDING job (Plus he uses the Hilton Pedal)!! Are you going to make the Waterloo show in Feb?
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2004 7:03 pm    

Hello, Mark. Yes, I hope to play the show again if Lefty puts me on the play list. Hope I feel better this year than I did last year. I was really, really sick at last year's show. Mark, tell everyone hello for me. Tommy Detamore and Herb Steiner are two more great Texas players. Was Bobby Flores on the tape with Tommy Detamore when they did the Sham CD?
Bobby Flores

Blanco, Texas, U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2004 4:28 pm    

Many thanks again Keith! And thank you Rob & George.

Yes, I was fortunate to be on the Doug Sahm album, "The Return of Wayne Douglas" with my pal Tommy Detamore. I've written about that session before here on the Forum as it was one of the most special albums I've ever been on and an unforgettable experience for me.

Amber's CD is another jewel as far as I'm concerned. It is always an honor to record on any album with Dicky but this particular one is very special to us.
By the way, Amber has just agreed to join us on our Yellow Rose Records label and we are VERY excited about this! We'll be announcing more on that soon. She is an incredible talent, and I am a huge fan of hers. She IS the real deal. When she sings it makes us want to play, know what I mean?

I'd like to mention a few more albums that Dicky has graced recently. One is our Christmas album which I am mixing as I write this, here at BGM. This one will be available soon at: www.yellowroserecords.com
Rush-O-Mighty! We might make it in time for the first week in December. Wish us luck.

Another one is Justin Trevino's new CD "Too Many Heartaches". Guys, this one is a true work of art and I believe Justin has managed to top all of his previous projects (which have been excellent!) with this one, which is saying an awful lot because I love them all. I just listened to the entire CD yesterday and both Dicky and Justin's performances totally blew me away. I highly recommend this CD as well.

Then there's the new Darrell McCall album which features both Dicky and Rick Price on steel, another great project with two legendary players.

And I want to mention to be on the lookout for my pal Jake Hooker's new CD which should be available soon. Maybe January? It's a killer project and has Dicky all over it!

Dicky gets such an awesome and unique sound, as I've mentioned before so much of it is in his hands. You can almost SEE the tone pouring out of them! We are so lucky to have him here and it's a privilege to be onstage with him. And it's also way cool to have him on so many good country recordings.

Bobby
(Proud Hilton pedal owner too!)

[This message was edited by Bobby Flores on 21 November 2004 at 04:31 PM.]

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 7:48 pm    

Bobby, you are one of my favorite singers. I pray one day every radio station in America will be playing your vocals. Good things are happening in Texas!
Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 8:09 pm    

Bobby:

I told Dicky at the convention that I thought you could play Tommy Jackson as well as he could....so I thought I would tell you. I know that that is not all you do but oh my, you do it so well!!! I was just a face in the crowd at the after hours concert in StL. You are the first fiddle player that makes me wish that I could play fiddle. I have listened to your intros on JB's Green Snakes CD over and over and over. If you, Dicky, Jake, Amber, and Justin were still performing at the ISGC, I would still be there. Thank you so much for being there.

Ben Rubright
Port Charlotte, FL
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 10:03 pm    

Love the sound from those old Emmonss P/P's!
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2004 10:34 pm    

Well, for the past couple of weeks I've been diggin' Bobby's and Dickie's work on an upcoming Marti Brom album "Sings Heartache Numbers"( she gave me a copy on her visit here ). This album is not released yet, but will be soon. I guarantee, it will knock your socks off; on top of Bobby's and Dickie's perfect solo and backing work is Marti's beautiful voice. Recorded and produced by Justin Trevino, of course