| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hippies," Hopefuls, and the Hall of Fame
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2004 7:56 am    

In a recent Forum post, "Hippie" steelers were proposed as deserving of HOF recognition. In that post, many names were suggested for induction. Forum posters made some good points in support of those nominees. It took me some time, but I researched the records of the HOF's 26-year history to see how many of those "nominees" had ever been submitted with a competent presentation. Only 2 of the listed names had ever been sent in, and only the names were mentioned.

That post and similar ones have contained complaints regarding the absence from the HOF of many identified individuals. To be seriously considered for HOF induction, nominations need justification for induction. A name or a few words just doesn't cut it. Serious nominations identify the nominee's qualifications. Suggestions regarding such qualifications are spelled out on the HOF's web site: http://www.scottysmusic.com/abouthof.htm. But, the listed qualifications are not limited to just those on the site. Any other accomplishments of a nominee that might not be covered in that digest of qualifying attributes could and would be considered. The HOF committee simply needs to know what they are.

The following is an example of a formal nomination. I provided it a few years ago. Even at that, it was not until this year's Convention that Bobby Black was inducted. I hope this post will assist others in recognizing that the competition for the award is intense and the HOF's web site was established to encourage nominators to do his/her "homework."

To: Steel Guitar Convention Board

Subject: Nominations of Bobby Black for Hall of Fame Induction

Background: Bobby is 68 years old and has been playing steel guitar for well over 50 years. When just a teenager, he joined Blackie Crawford's Cherokee Cowboys, which was before the band was taken over by Ray Price. He toured extensively during the 1950s with Crawford, travelling in Texas and all of the mid-west. In the mid-'70s, Bobby settled in Nashville where he worked for Pete Drake at Pete's studio. There, he recorded jingles, worked club dates and was used on hundreds of record sides by various artists.

Although beginning in Country music, Bobby quickly adapted to Rock & Roll when it usurped all musical venues in the '60s and '70s. He "survived" during those years of the ups and downs of the music business with his remarkable versatility. He was one of just a handful of steel players who introduced young audiences to the fact that a theretofore stereotyped country instrument could hold its own against fuzz tones and other effects devices that were the rule for musical backup players in most of those modern-day's groups.

Bobby's love for Pop and Hawaiian music was something he always nurtured, and his talent with those styles is revealed quite pointedly in his "Honky Cat" album of 1980, and his most recent album, "The Steel Guitar of Bobby Black".

Bobby has been a full-time steel guitarist all of his working life. Along with his brother Larry, the two managed several of the bands that they formed over the years. He continues to perform in the S.F. Bay Area regularly. His versatility has led to many unusual gigs, including concerts with offbeat groups from Folk to New Wave Rock, as well as plays and other stage performances.

Individual Albums: While other artists' albums have been discontinued, Bobby's continue to sell on a regular basis. Wherever he performs, inquiries are received concerning the availability of his albums.

1978: "California Freedom"
1980: "Honky Cat"
1984: "Skull Orchard - The Black Brothers"
2001: "The Steel Guitar Of Bobby Black"

If Bobby's albums are reviewed, I believe anyone would agree that his talent and skill as a musician is obvious.

Recording Artists: (Prominent artists with whom Bobby has recorded.)

Asleep at the Wheel - Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen - New Riders of the
Purple Sage - The California Cowboys - Rose Maddox - David Allan Coe - The Jordanaires - Blackie Crawford and his Western Cherokees - Norton Buffalo - Linda Hargrove - Jimmy Luttrell - The Hoopii Brothers - Shorty Joe - Arlie Duff - Patsy Elshire - The Triplets - The U.S. Six - Hoyt Henry - The Country Cut-Ups - Doug Sahm - Texas Tornadoes - Link Wray - Robert Gordon - Carl Brouse - Gary Paxton - David Rogers - Larry Ballard - Jerry Shelfer - Alice Stuart - Shelley Streeter - Kitaron - David Gans - Bill Kirchen - Dave Younger - Sage - The Five Whispers - The Tides

Record Labels (At one time or another, Bobby has been under a recording contract with the following labels.):

Dot/Paramount - MGM - United Artists - Dolton (Subsidiary of Liberty Records) - Doré
Little Darlin' - Warner Brothers - Arista - Cumberland (subsidiary of Mercury)

Artists & Groups: (The following are some of the artists with whom Bobby has worked or was in their back-up bands.)

Marty Robbins - Willie Nelson - Foy Willing & The Riders Of The Purple Sage - Tommy Duncan - Jim Reeves - Little Jimmy Dickens - Johnny & Joanie Moseby - Del Reeves - Webb Pierce - Billy Walker - Stu Phillips - Merle Travis - Tiny Moore - Freddie Powers - Merle Haggard - Rose Maddox - Barbara Mandrell - Louise Mandrell - Floyd Tillman - Eddie Dean - Hank Cochran - Eddie Cochran - Gene Vincent - Rusty Draper - Spade Cooley - Tex Williams - Red Sovine - Joe & Rose Maphis - Johnny Western - Charlie Pride - Patsy Montana - Red Murrell - Big Jim DeNoon - Bill Drake - Wynn Stewart - Dick & Dee Dee - Lily Tomlin - Martin Mull - Buck Owens - Marvin Rainwater - Henson Cargill - Bobby Bare - Peter Rowan - Rusty MacDonald - Hank Penny - Jerry Wallace - Red Foley - George Jones - Guy Madison - Red Simpson - Martha Carson - Laurie Lewis - Sue Thompson - Freddy Hart - Ray Price - Larry Gatlin - Roy Drusky - Cowboy Copas - Eddie Kirk - Tommy Hill - Goldie Hill - Danny Gatton - Mel Carter - The Coasters - Thumbs Carlisle - Billy Jo Spears - Stephanie Davis - Steve Wariner - Cal Smith - Bobby Freeman

Movie Appearances and/or Soundtracks:

"Hollywood Boulevard" (appeared in the movie and on the soundtrack)
"Roadie" (starring Art Carnie, Blondie, Meatloaf, etc. (appeared in the movie and on the soundtrack)
"Blue Thunder & White Lightning" (soundtrack only), starring David Carridine.

Television Shows:

Grand Ole Opry
The Wilburn Brothers Show
Police Woman (Angie Dickenson & Earl Holliman)
Biography (featuring Barbara Mandrell,
and the then, Lady Bird Johnson)
Hoffman Hayride
California Hayride
Talent Prospector
The Les Malloy Show
The Del Courtney Show
The Black Jack Wayne Show
Don Kirshner's Rock Concert
Midnight Special (with Wolfman Jack)
Bay Area Backroads

Radio Shows:

Big D Jamboree
Louisiana Hayride
Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor on PBS
West Coast Live (PBS)
Grand Ole Opry radio shows

Musical Stage Productions:

"Cumberland Blues" (1998)
"Chaps" (1998)

Radio & TV Commercials:

Burger King
Anhauser Busch
And, too many commercial "Jingles" for Bobby to remember.

Awards:

California Country Music Association's "Steel Guitarist of the Year," four years total, with the last two years being 1986 and 1994.
Inducted into the California Western Swing Society Hall of Fame (1992)

Touring: (Bobby has toured in every State except Alaska, while with the following groups)

The Cowtown Band (Far East), Commander Cody (Britain, Europe), Barbara Mandrell (Britain), Doug Sahm and the Sir Douglas quintet (Scandinavia), and New Riders of the Purple Sage (U.S.)

Notable Performances & Events:

(Bobby has performed at the Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis on several occasions and at all of the West Coast Steel Guitar Shows that I have promoted in the 1990s, plus):
1972 At Coho Hall in Ann Arbor, Michigan with CC, sharing the billing with John Lennon, Stevie Wonder and Chuck Berry.
1973 Outdoor concert in Palm Springs with Commander Cody, Jerry Reed & Kris Kristofferson.
1973 A Harlem concert with Commander Cody, opening for the Eagles and Earth, Wind & Fire. At the Spectrum in Philadelphia with CC, opening for Alice Cooper.
1974 Headlined at Carnegie Hall with Doug Sahm.
1975 Played for President Nixon in Huntsville, Alabama while with Barbara Mandrell.
1976 At Winterland in San Francisco, with New Riders of the Purple Sage, sharing the billing with The Blues Brothers and The Beach Boys.
1978 At the Meadowlands in New Jersey, with New Riders of the Purple Sage, sharing billing with Willie Nelson and The Grateful Dead (77,000 in attendance).
1977 "A Day on the Green" concert with Commander Cody, opening for Elton John & The Eagles.
1987 With Jerry Byrd at the annual Hoolaulea in Hawaii for the "Best of the Hawaiian Steel Guitarists." Was the only mainland performer to be invited.

I believe Bobby adequately qualifies for Hall of Fame membership and recommend his induction.

Fraternally yours, …Tom Bradshaw

[This message was edited by Tom Bradshaw on 03 November 2004 at 07:58 AM.]

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2004 8:09 am    

The great Bobby Black has also been appearing regularly with " Lost Weekend " a 13 piece country swing and jazz band with two albums released so far. The great bay area clainet and sax man Jim Rothermill keeps the charts in order.

------------------
Mullen S12 Almost Mooney
71 Tele, Regal 45
Sho Bud S10 NP
Line 6 Flextone 3 + JBL D130
Jim Baron

Madera, Ca.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 7:12 am    

I have been reading many of the Hall of Fame threads and posts and decided to describe my experience with the process. I can tell you it is not easy and takes some real time to get a nomination done. I first copied the history and nomination outline from the HOF website @ http://www.scottysmusic.com/abouthof.htm.

With that in hand, I started the process. The first was a 4-hour interview with the artist, gathering info from
questions I had created by following the outline. I took that info and broke it down into the different sections of the nomination outline. Doing this just created more
questions that I needed to get answers to. In my case, JayDee's wife was really helpful in that she had kept some pretty good records and had a resume built for JayDee. But I still spent hours using google and other internet searches looking for awards, whose records he played on, special billings, movies, etc.

What I was trying to do was present the facts about the nominee, wanting to put him in the upper 5% of the players, believing he had to be there if I wanted him elected into the HOF. The committee considers as many as twelve players at a time. Their job isn't an easy row to hoe. Also, they
only meet and vote once a year, which is during the St. Louis Convention time. There are 7 members so you need to get 7 copies off to Scotty, probably no later than July so they can be sent out to the members for review.

I think getting a person in the first year you submit would be highly unlikely. It seems the committee members take their positions pretty seriously, and they may want to do their own research and review. So, you should try to get it in as early as possible before the August 1st deadline. Then, it will be a year later before the award is given, if it is even given then or in the years that follow.

You actually end up with two documents, the first being a great in-depth look at the artist, and the second one is a really focused/condensed version that becomes the nomination document. You can work with Bob Maickel, Pres of the PSGA to have the in-depth look printed in the PSGA. Bob is a prince to work with.

Here is a copy of my finial document. I hope it helps others in preparing a document to nominate their hero.

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame
9535 Midland Blvd.
St. Louis, Mo. 63114

Subject: Jay Dee Maness

This is a letter of information and facts supporting the nomination of Jay Dee Maness to the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. I will follow the seven points as outlined in the nomination protocol. As some of the areas overlap, I will do it in narrative form instead of point form. At the end I will summarize and add additional comments that I feel will be useful.

We have here an individual who was born poor on a farm in Imperial Valley of California. The love of the steel guitar and music came early and he was lucky enough to have a father that took the interest to get him a lap steel, amplifier, and a dozen lessons and pay it off over time. From this meager beginning came a person who played it his way and dominated the steel guitar field in Southern California. I guess I should say as a steel player he has dominated the West Coast for the past 30+ years. One can say without hesitation that he is the number one call on this left coast for both movies and studio work.

Here follows only a partial listing of artists he has recorded with:

Anne Murray, Arlo Guthrie, Barry Manilow, Rose Maddox, Beck, Bonnie Raitt, Brenda Lee, Dorsey Burnett, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Glenn Campbell, Goldie Hawn, Graham Nash, Gus Hardin, Hank Williams Jr, Burt Reynolds, Eddy Dean, Tommy Roe, Larry Scott (DJ), Diana Trask, Becky Hobbs, the Lagard Twins, Clint Eastwood, Skeeter Davis, Red Simpson, Tanya Tucker, Ronnie Milsap, Shelly West, Buck Owens, Chris Hillman, David Frizzel, Eddy Rabbit, Dwight Yokum, Fats Domino, Mel Tillis, Johnny Lee, Tom Jones, Dottie West, Herb Pedersen, Highway 101, Jim Weatherly, Jim West, OB Clinton, Porter Wagoner, Randy Travis, Ray Stevens, Rebecca Lynn, Slim Pickens, Bobby Vinton, Jim Stafford, Merle Haggard, The Hagers, Rod Stewart, Jimmy Bryant, Waylon Jennings, Ray Charles, The Byrds, Jerry Naylor, Charlie Daniels, Buddy Cagle, Sammy Davis Jr., Richard Boone, Sawyer Brown, Dennis Weaver, Juilo Iglesias, Mike Love, Gail Davies, Ray Price, Ringo Starr, Johnny Tilotson, Earl Scruggs, Rex Allen Jr., Susan Anton, Jim Turner, Rusty Draper, Freddy Hart, Carlene Carter, Carol Chase, Tom Wopat, Gram Parsons, the Lennon Sisters, Con Hunley, Jose Felicano, Lee Schmidt, Byron Berline, Mickey Gilley, John Hartford, Susan Raye, Tony Booth, Juice Newton, Ray Sanders, Vince Gill, Kay Adams, Pat Boone, Jessie Colter, Billy Armstrong, Earl Ball, Susie Alanson, Tom Bresh, Vickie Lawrence, John Schnieder, Sugar Ray, Jerry Fuller, Charlie Rich, Terry Melcher, Neil Diamond, the Chapparal Brothers, Karen & Richard Carpenter, Roy & Dale Evans, Johnny & Joanie Mosby, Michael Martin Murphy, Harry Middlebrook, Tennessee Ernie Ford, The Lundstroms, and currently is working on a project from Southern California artists including Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as a tribute to Hank Williams Sr.

Here is a partial listing of individual artists he has worked with doing their shows:

Marty Robbins, Johnny Duncan, Andy Williams (Las Vegas), Rose Maddox, Doug Kershaw, Little Jimmy Dickens, Cliffie Stone, Eddy Dean, Sting (Tonight Show), Clint Black (Tonight Show), Freddie Fender, Roy Clark (Carnegie Hall), Vince Gill, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dell Reeves (Grand Ole Opry), Randy Boone, Bobby Bare, Terry Bradshaw, Richard Marks (Tonight Show), and SheDaisy (Tonght Show).

Partial listing of movies and sound tracks;

The Jazz Singer, Bronco Billy, Urban Cowboy, Other Side Of The Mountain, Other Side Of The Mountain II, Bobby Joe And The Outlaws, Smokey And The Bandit II, Honky Tonk Man, Black Roads, A Thing Called Love, Every Which Way But Loose, Longest Yard, Tilt, Stoker Ace, The Hunter, DB Cooper, Resurrection and Rush.

Partial listing of TV Shows and TV Show Themes;

Dukes Of Hazzards (seven seasons), Fall Guy (Theme), Night Court, Murder She Wrote, Hot Country Nights (Musical Director), Matlock, Mama’s Place (Theme), Midnight Special (various shows), Dynasty, Hee Haw (1969), ACM Award Shows (15+ years), Tonight Shows (various shows) and A Family Reunion (Jeff Cook, Carl Perkins, Bryon Berline & Larry Gatlin)

While Jay Dee’s main focus was working in the studio and TV/Movies, he did some touring. I will list the major ones, but there were numerous “short” tours, like Ray Price’s last swing through the Southwestern States. These were usually of a week or two in duration.

Tours; 1969-1970 Buck Owens Band, 1974-1975 Ray Stevens Band, Late 1970’s Johnny Duncan Band, 1985-1990 Desert Rose Band of which he was a founding member.

Jay Dee also has an extensive history of playing the world famous Palomino Club in Hollywood. He started in 1970 and basically was a member of the house band during the following years; 1970-1973, 1976-1978,1980-1985, and 1990 until it closed in 1998.

Here is a listing of some of the major awards he has garnered;

Academy of Country Music- Steel Player of the Year 15 times.
Academy of Country Music- Band of the year 6 times
National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences- Nominee 1985
Guitar Players People Choice Award- 1988-1991

When it comes to talking about Jay Dee’s influence on others, one would think this part would be easy for me. However, I find it difficult to put into words. There will always be the chase scenes for the Dukes of Hazzard. The rapid speed-picking romps during the multitudes of chase scenes became the trademark of this very popular TV show. A major audience was introduced to the steel guitar during the seven year run of this show and the re-runs are still getting heard- enabling hundreds of thousands of TV viewers to be exposed to the fascinating sounds of Jay Dee’s steel guitar playing.

Another major contribution of his was the smash hit by Eric Clapton, Tears in Heaven. Due to popular requests, Chuck Lettes has tabbed Jay Dee’s solo out for the PSGA at the request of numerous players.

Who can forget the decidedly hit-making solo that Jay Dee played on the break to Ray Stevens’ Misty. I have talked to many a player who has spent a few hours trying to capture the essence of that solo. I don’t think most of us will be successful in doing this, however it is fun trying.

I think that most of Jay Dee’s influence on the steel was with the Desert Rose Band. He was a founding member of that group. By the comments on the Steel Guitar Forum, requests at International Steel Guitar Convention, and requests to travel to other countries, it seems that most of the focus is on the Desert Rose Band years.

Jay Dee has been involved in three instrumental albums. They are: Pacific Steel Company, Suite Steel and Classical Country. There is also an album out titled Bakersfield Bound. While this album has Chris Hillman singing, most of us look at this album as a tribute to Jay Dee. He is out front and center stage on each and every cut- playing his style- his way.

As an indicator of musical abilities, he was hired as the Musical Director of the hit TV show, Hot County Nights. There it was his job to bring together a group of stellar musicians and make sure charts and arrangements were ready for TV filming.
Another indicator of his abilities is the sheer number of years he has been involved in the West Coast music scene for studio, film, and TV and has made a nice living at it. Just watch the Norwegian band that comes to ISGC. They play songs by the Desert Rose Band just like the originals and the steel player plays it like Jay Dee did. Then after Jay Dee’s time on stage, players wanting to know how he played all of their favorite parts mob him.
I put a show on in Sacramento in which Jay Dee took part. Players at each break basically surrounded him whether or not he had been picking the last set.

One only has to listen to “Jay Dee’s Boogie”, a self-written number off the Suite Steel album to appreciate the unique way that Jay Dee has in composing music. For most of us it is totally unplayable at half speed.

Jay Dee is as humble a person that anyone could ever want to meet. He travels hours just to attend jam sessions on the West Coast where he is obviously the star, yet refuses to be paid or reimbursed for hotel expenses and vehemently argues about even having his meals paid for. Sharing information about playing, techniques, tunings, and equipment with others is old hat and done with grace and aplomb. At jam sessions he will stop and explain to us how he did a specific move and why/how it works. He exemplifies to others the type of class that we all strive to attain and is truly one of the best spokespersons that our instrument could possibly hope to have. We are fortunate to have JayDee in our “circle” of musicians.

He is just beginning to do some teaching. By the reactions of the attending players, including this writer, it is real positive. Hopefully this will lead to some published instructional aids that show his style of playing.

Not having any idea if he had been part of any steel building or design innovations, I just asked him. He grinned and said he built 3 Emmons push pulls from kits. He said Ron Lashley used to make up kits for the guys that wanted to put the guitar together their own way.

Summary

Jay Dee was born in 1945 in Southern California. He came from a rather poor farming family and was basically raised by his grandmother after his mother died. At age of 10 he was introduced to the sounds/sights of a steel guitar that his neighbor had. He liked the “color” of the steel, thought it sounded pretty “cool”. His Dad bought him a lap steel, amplifier, and 13 lessons on time. Jay Dee took 12 of the 13 lessons and never looked back. He had music to play his way.

He was influenced by Luther Perkins and learned to play all of Luther’s stuff on the lap steel. Then one time he got to see Johnny Cash’s band play and talk to the bass player. When he asked him about what he thought about playing Perkins’ licks on the lap steel, he told Jay Dee we already have a Luther Perkins, learn to play different. Guess the rest is history- he surely learned to play differently.

He went on to play with a great many of the major entertainers, not only on the West Coast, but also from across the nation. His playing is not limited to just country, though that is his favorite form of music. He has been involved in Country, Rock, Blues, Rockabilly, Pop, Big Band, and alternative styles of music. Has been at the forefront of many styles but mainly for the sound that came to define the Desert Rose Band. He continues to be a player in both the music and TV/Film fields.

Peers and fans alike have recognized him with awards for his musical endeavors. Having received awards from Academy of Country Music, NARAS and Guitar Players Magazine for outstanding musical contributions, as an individual and a band member.

I think attitude plays a big part in assessing a person. Here is an incident that speaks volumes in my mind. While recording the sound tracks to Dukes of Hazzard, he was asked to read some parts. However Jay Dee does not read music. They needed someone to read music for the slow parts. The writer told Jay Dee about bringing in another steel player and asked if that was a problem. He said, “No, you can line the walls with steel players as long as I get to be one of them”.

I think we have here a person who by deeds and demeanor will represent the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in a very positive manner. He is definitely the caliber of musician, entertainer, and person that has reflected positively upon our chosen instrument.

I appreciate your time and consideration in this matter and hope you can support Jay Dee Maness for inclusion in the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Respectfully submitted,

James Baron
36835 Ave 12
Madera, Ca. 93638
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 7:40 am    

Those two resumes are truly humbling.
Incredible careers.

Nobody deserves it more.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps