| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hearing protection
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2004 9:17 pm    

There was a thread a few months back about this.It's where you go to a doc and get a type of ear plug.They don't call it ear plug but it has different guage filters.Looks like I'm headed back to the club gigs.The really loud volumes makes me physically ill.But not eating does also.

Also some time back.Seems it may have been Stever Hinson wrote about a type of light or clip on lamp he was using.Did a search and didn't find that thread either.Seems I'm going blind but my hearing is way to good. And I'm in debt up to eyeballs.Somebody help me.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2004 9:47 pm    

eh?..

Pete Burak has some he swears by.

He'll probably show up directly with the specifics.

EJL
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2004 9:51 pm    

I tried the custom filters, but eventually found that the good ol' foam earplugs are best for me. They took a few dozen gigs to get used to. Now I can't play a loud gig without them. Do your soundcheck and first two songs with them out to get your level right and then put them in. Your ears will thank you after the gig when you lay down to sleep and your head isn't roaring. Over the last 10 years of religiously using foam earplugs at loud shows, my hearing has vastly improved and my tinnitus has gotten so minimal that I hardly ever think about it. I still have to be careful though.

Once you get used to them, you'll find that you can actually hear yourself better because you filter out the noise and roar of the other instruments. This actually helps you keep your own volume down. When you first get earplugs though, the tendency is to get too loud. That's why you should soundcheck and start the show with them out. Then trust your right foot the rest of the night.

My choice to get used to earplugs has truly given me much greater joy with music. Back when my head rang from tinnitus and hurt from the fatigue, I thought I'd have to change careers eventually. Now I look forward to hearing and playing music into my '90s. And I don't say "what" so much anymore.

Brad Sarno
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2004 11:52 pm    

Bobby, in the mean time, pick up a pair of musician's earplugs at a Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or other large music chain. They cost around 25 bucks, are are very effective. They are easy to pop in and cut out a significant amount of the volume without excessively damaging the tone. The main effect is that the sound seems a little diffuse, but I found that easy to get used to and have no trouble playing when I have them inserted. .. Jeff

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]
Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 4:04 pm    

This might be the thread you're looking for:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/007228.html

The custom earplugs with the interchangeable filters are supposed to give you flat frequency attenuation, so you can hear all frequencies equally well, just lower in volume. The foam earplugs, although cheap and effective at protecting your hearing, will cut higher frequencies (I think it's high frequencies) much more, making the sound more muffled.

------------------

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 6:44 pm    

Thanks Mark.That's the thread.Also thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.Regards Bobby
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2004 7:30 pm    

What?
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 12:36 am    

Gun stores usually carry earplugs for wearing on the shooting range. They minimize loud sounds such as guns and guitars, while allowing quieter sounds like talking, humming, birds chirping or whatever to come through. At least that's the idea. They may not be a perfect solution for the next time you jam with the death metal band down the street, but they work better than cigaret filters.

A miner's helmet might be a good solution to the lighting problem - it shines where you're looking! And if your band were to play "16 Tons", it could be a defining moment . .

One good quick way to solve $$ problems is:
Find a hot crazy rich chick and show her the time of her life so that she will want to give you lots of money and buy you everything you want. Don't worry when her friends tell you about her multiple personalities and violent mood swings. Just keep rockin' and rollin' - until the moment she tearfully tells you she's falling in love with you. Then you immediately RUN, DUCK and HIDE - move, change your phone number, get a new car, leave town, join a new band and don't come back for at least 6-8 weeks. That's what I shoulda done.
But NOOOOOOOoooOO . . . I was Mister Suave Deboner. I could handle this no problem . .
Big Mistake. Serious lapse in judgement. Big Big Mistake. Whatever you do - when she says LOVE, it's time to SHOVE (off) It can be tempting to linger, but don't kid yourself - SHE'S GONNA BLOW ! ! ! RUN !

Hope this helps.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2004 7:35 am    

I use a pair of custom molded musicians attenuaters with two set sets of filters. One at -15dbs and the other at -25dbs. I often use the stronger filters. The new pair I just got seem to work well. The idea is to reduce all frequencies equally. You're supposed to have new ones made every three or four years. The name of the company is Westone and I think they are in Colorado. Go to your local audiologist and they should have the kit to make the molds. It takes two to three weeks.

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, S-12U Kline 7 x6, Dobro Cyclops reissue, 1967 Fender Telecaster, Webb 6-14E, Fender Super Reverb
The Mother Truckers

[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 04 November 2004 at 07:37 AM.]