| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Paul Franklin
Eddie Malray

South Fulton, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 5:59 pm    

Hi Paul! My good frien who plays lead guitar in our band is wondering what kind of amp set up Brent Mason uses in the studio. I told him I might know where I could find the answer. So, I'm asking you, since I know the two of you do a lot of sessions together. The work that you two do together is amazing. I play steel and being a small time band we have to play a lot of songs that you and Brent recorded. It drives us crazy trying to find those licks and get that sound. Sometimes we get it, sometimes we don't. But it's always fun. THANKS-----Eddie
Garth Highsmith

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 8:10 pm    

[This message was edited by Garth Highsmith on 12 January 2006 at 09:36 AM.]

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 8:46 pm    

I recall the guitar player in one of my bands saying that Brent Mason has his Tele bridge pick-up specially wound to cut out some of the inherent shrillness that many of them have. I imagine that would be important in trying to capture his sound, which is certainly of the higest imaginable caliber.

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]
Franklin

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 10:23 pm    

Eddie,

Brent's studio setup consists of many amps, rack gear and stomp boxes. If its the AJ sound its always the Tele and the Deluxe. I believe that is probably the sound your asking about. He plays live through two twin reverbs and he gets the same sound to my ears.

Paul

Paul
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 6:47 am    

Eddie,

Brent had a video on his site at www.brentmason.com where he plays "Hot Wired" and I believe he's using the same setup Paul mentioned. The video may still be there, you may want to check it out.
Eddie Malray

South Fulton, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 3:19 pm    

Thanks Everyone---------I really appreciate the info. I kinda suspected Brent had a special pickup because I've noticed that the highs are sharp but but not thin sounding. His lows have a lot of growl but are not muddy. I think Brent has the best sound going when it comes to Country lead guitar. I hate to tell my friend about the Fender Delux because he told me he hoped it was'nt the amp because he'd already bought a house full chasing that sound. He does'nt have a Deluxe though. A special thanks to you Paul because the AJ sound is exactly what we want.---------Eddie
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 4:41 pm    

I read somewhere that Brent had a Gibson mini humbucker in the neck position of his primered Tele. I don't know if he still has it set up that way or not.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2004 12:50 am    

I believe Brent's favorite set up is: a 1968 Fender Tele with 3 pickups. a Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck, the other two pickups are specially wound by Seymour Duncan. They use two different magnets, one for the lower three strings and a different type of magnet for the three treble strings. Seymour used to sell these pickups on his website but i don't see them there anymore. Maybe this is because Gibson/Valley Arts has come out with a Brent Mason model using these pickups.
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 4:31 am    

Two Twins?

So, Paul, how is the stage volume when you guys play?
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2004 10:45 am    

Dan,
I believe that the pickup you're talking about is the 5/2 or Nashville studio. sumthin like that.
Steve Howard

High Ridge, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 9:09 am    

I am over at TDPRI a lot and you should really go over there and do a search for it, you will find tons of info. Brent's wife Julie frequents there a lot and pretty much can get you the answer to anything you want to know, however, do a search on this first because it has been discussed to death over there. Most of us are passed it because we know 80% of the tone is in the hands anyway.

But to answer a little, Brent does have three pickups on his tele. The neck is a mini-bucker and the middle is some old Seymour model that may be specially wound. But the bridge pickup may not be as hard to duplicate as you think. They made a special pickup for Brent that had Alnico II magnets on the high three strings and Alnico V magnets on the low three to keep the bight on the low end without being shrill on the high end. Seymour put this pickup into production and is still available (it is simply called the 5-2, or Nashville 5-2). This is a pickup you hear through Brent's earlier work, but he has since switched to the Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack in the bridge position. That is readily available also. I think the bridge pickup is the best way to mod to recreate Brent's sound. A good Fender Silverface tube amp will do the trick. The rest is in the hands.

And to answer Dan Sawyer's question, the twins that Brent uses on stage sound great. He mic's them along with everything else in the band. He uses two to get a stereo effect more than a volume issue. I saw Brent and Paul in March in Nashville on one of their occasional Tuesday night gigs at Third & Lindsley. It is an experience in music that will NEVER be matched. They are incredible. I went to that gig expecting to be blown away and my jaw had a hard time getting off the floor by the end of the night. They are playing there again the first two Tuesday's in November I believe. They don't really play country as that is their day job, and this is for fun, but even if that is what you wish you heard going in, you will be glad they did what they did by the end of the night. These guys deserve way more credit than they will ever get for their ability to play genres outside of country. They play blues, rock, jazz, and swing collectively better than any group I have ever listened to. Quite amazing.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling.
Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 5:49 pm    

How does Brent split the signal to those 2 amps? Is he using a "Y" cable, A/B switch or some stereo effects unit? (if anyone knows).

Rick
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2004 3:47 pm    

I have that PU in my Tele. The bridge pos.

It is called a NASHVILLE STUDIO by Seymour Duncan. Top three strings are one type of mags and the lower three strings are another.

I love this PU.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2004 3:30 am    

If you can score a copy of Brent's "Hot Licks" instruction tape he shows you his entire studio setup and explains everything so even an idiot like me can understand it. His main Tele has the S/D pickup in the bridge position and the middle pup is a S/D stacked dual-coil. he has an extra volume knob on the Tele which is for that pickup alone so he can blend it in as needed. He states on the tape that he uses it mostly for an EQ type thing where he'll just blend in enough to take the edge off some stuff. He's also got a Joe Glaser B-Bender unit installed in that Tele. His setup is too much stuff to mention here but if you can see this tape you'll be amazed at how much equipment he actually has in the studio situation. He states that for most of the chicken pickin' stuff he just plugs into that little Deluxe and cranks it up!!....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 25 October 2004 at 04:33 AM.]

Rick McDuffie

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2004 6:45 pm    

I sold my blackface '65 Deluxe for 50 bucks so I could buy a Kustom bass head (1972). What a knucklehead.
Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 7:58 am    

Re:STEVE HOWARD, thanks for the info on the pickup. I always wanted a steel guitar pickup made that way! Does anyone make one??? Would someone like to???
~~W.C.~~