| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wilburn Bros and Porter Wagoner on RFDTV
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 6:26 am    

If any of you folks can get RFDTV, make sure you set your tivos or vcrs to grab the Wilburn brotehrs show and the Porter Wagoner show. These are on the weekly schedule.

These are classic old shows from the mid 60's and they contain some real gems. On the Wilburn brothers, the steel chores were handled by either Hal Rugg or Curley Chalker and boy what a treat to see these guys in their heyday.

This week's Wilburn show has Bill Monroe (with Kenny Baker on fiddle) and Loretta Lynn. Loretta does "Don't come home a 'drinkin" and Hal plays the great signature steel on that tune.

They always have a (way too short) instrumental tune from the band, and on this one, Hal takes a burnin' C6 break on a fast fiddle tune.

I have seen some really great Chalker moments on this show as well. I never knew that he had his E9 on the back neck and C6 on the front. What a player he was!

Anyway, be sure to catch these and lets encourage more airing of these great old shows. For instance, I'd love to see the old Tennessee Ernie Ford shows, which feature Speedy West in the band.

Cheers
Lynn Kasdorf
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 6:47 am    

Is RFDTV itself a network, or is it a show that's on another network? If it's the latter, what network is it on? Can you get it on Comcast? Thanks.
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 7:03 am    

RFDTV is a network. On Dish Network (satellite) it is channel 9409. It is channel 379 on DirecTV. You'll need to check your cable provider's web site to see if they carry it.

Curiously, on the channel lineup card for Dish, they don't even mention RFDTV, but group it in with Free Speech TV, LINK and others as "public service channels). I spend 90% of my TV time in these channels!

My point is simply that the carriers don't seem to publicise that they carry RFDTV- you need to look for it. It has a lot of real snoozer programming (like the Goergia Farm report), and "Big Joe's Polka time" but it does have antique tractor shows!
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 8:11 am    

Hey Lynn, my 16 month old son might argue with you about Big Joe. He gets in front of the TV and dances to it. The Big Joe Polka Show is one of the FEW things that can hold his attention for any length of time, haha! But he likes the Wilburns as well. Cool Network IMO.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 9:02 am    

Why is this cattle auction only 8 hours long? I could watch this all day and night.
Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 1:18 pm    

Lynn, you spoke of the Wilburn how last evening. found epecially nice the song "The Third Man" in which Hal was played solo behind Loretta Lynn. That was very tasteful.

Earnest, a VCR would help if you don't mind auction re-runs.

[This message was edited by Leroy Riggs on 22 October 2004 at 02:20 PM.]

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2004 1:48 pm    

Starting in November - RFD will also carry a half hour program on Friday nights, 8Pm Central standard time , called Branson Jam . Watch for it in the listing. We subscribe to "RFD The Magazine" and it's in there.

[This message was edited by Bill Myrick on 23 October 2004 at 05:22 AM.]