| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  isghof
ebb

nj
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 3:35 pm    

there is no reason we cannot have the internet steel guitar hall of fame or maybe the sgfhof (steel guitar forum hall of fame). i would think that voting by the members of this wonderfull forum for this would be noticed by scotty's official venue of which i completely support by his unsurpassed devotion to steel guitar at his own expense much like b0b's. i think that in respect and agreement of the international steel guitar hall of fame we should vote on only non members of scottie's already deserving members. we could then tally votes like a presedential poll. any consensus or is it incendiary?

------------------
ed bierly
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 4:08 pm    

I do not agree that the vote should only be on the players who are not in Scottys club. That is the mirror of what is wrong with Scottys HOF.

We should vote on ALL players no matter what personal gripes you have against them. They should be recognized only for their merits as steel guitarists and not discriminated against for any "business as usual" personal reasons. Thusly----

One man plays great, but he might be divorced so the good Babtists would have to set aside his musicianship and not allow him in the club for that reason.

One man might drink a bit too much, so all the AA people couldn't have that. Never mind that he can play rings around all the AA folks even while drunk.

One man might have been a Klansman 50 years ago so he's out. He could never change---could he?

One man might have been a woman at one time or vice versa so "it" is out.

One man might have had a business calimity 35 or so years ago so he is out.

One man might have kicked his dog one time in his past so he is out. Along this vein, if the applicant was Korean, he might have eaten his dog at sometime in his past so he is out also.

One man might covet his neighbors wife and his neighbor too so he is out.

I hope I have made a point with all this silly drivvel to show that great players/people are just folks with faults like we all have. A true hall of fame would discount the quirks that have nothing to do with the musical greatness of a player.

The rules for non entry would have to be along the lines of mass murder, treason, liking Robert Randolph, etc. You know, REAL bad things that most REAL pedal guitarist would never do.

rim shot here
smiley faces for those with no sense of humor

When do we vote?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 4:57 pm    

I won't participate in such a thing.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 5:53 pm    

why do you feel the need for another HOF when there's one that's already recognized?

Do people really care that much about that stuff?

I know it's nice to be recognized but it isn't everything. Dragging this stuff through the muck kinda cheapens the honor. It is what it is and the HOF Committee is what and who they are. So be it.

PS
I don't need the endorsement of any group of experts to tell me that Reece and Julian are two of the greatest musicians who ever sat behind a steel guitar. I believe we all have our own hall of fame -- in our own heads and in our own opinion.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 19 October 2004 at 06:55 PM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 6:17 pm    

What you are suggesting is a total breakdown of society, and the mob-rule-anarchy of true democracy, with no social mores, inviting all the available consequences.

It might work.

Give it a try.

Let us know what happens.

EJL

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2004 6:22 pm    

I do not see that this thread contributes anything to the SGF.

What a gross misuse of the bandwith that the author of this thread does not pay for..

Just my opinion.. b0b???
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 7:09 am    

Larry. Very good point, and you are correct. I don't blame Bob for not wanting to have anything to do with something like that. Good choice! You are right Larry, things like this can actually end up degrading an earned prestigious HOF award that others have already received, and I've seen this happen in the past. Nothing good ever becomes of this, and I doubt anything ever would either.

Generally speaking, anytime a person tries to circumvent a system that is already in place, there's usually dire consequences to pay. Hence... not worth the time spent, as the end result usually ends up being fruitless. There's no way that all of us would necessarilly agree with "who" the nominated HOF inductee would be, and that's why there is (and should be) a committee of elected officials who are qualified to make those decisions.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 7:21 am    

Quote:
...a committee of elected officials...

Elected by whom?
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 8:50 am    

each other. far as I can tell
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2004 6:56 pm    

Don't blame me as I wasn't allowed to vote...

Old Bud