| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John Hughey at the 2004 ISGC
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 12:04 pm    

John Hughey, a fine gentleman and one of my steel guitar hero's ever since I first heard him playing on one of Harold Jenkins old reel to reel homemade tapes back in Helena, Arkansas in 1956.

In addition to his numerous other accomplishments, John will always be known as the steel guitar player who made Conway Twitty a "star".

www.genejones.com
Charles Walker

Chester, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 3:02 pm    

Gene you said it all. John was a major part of the sound of Conway. I have alway's been partial to song's of Conway and Haggard and have sang them for many many year's. That crying sound that came from John was something that was out of this world. Because of John Hughey and Norm Hamlet, and my brother Ray of WALKER SEAT's is the reason I am learning to play the steel. I had the great pleasure of having John play the conway song Lost In The Feeling at the Saluda convention this past Feb,while I sang the song. For just a brief few minute's I was in the same company as Conway, Vince, and so many other's who know the extreme talent this man has. But more important than his talent on the steel is the way John and Jean are as people. They both are so gracious and kind loving people and will warm your heart's just by talking with them. Just wanted to put my two cent's in. Thank's
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 6:21 pm    

NO FINER FOLKS than the Hughey's!!!!!! Donna
Terry Downs

Wylie, TX US
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 8:08 pm    

Once again I spent some special minutes with the Hughey's. They are the greatest folks ever. I was just listening to the new CD "Pure E9th" earlier this evening. It is true to form John Hughey. I also picked up his instructional DVD. Great stuff.

[This message was edited by Terry Downs on 06 September 2004 at 09:12 PM.]

Rich Mounce

Dunfermline, Il
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 9:16 am    

And he was great at Convention as always!! John is a very special player and is always a complete gentleman to everyone he is around...Thank goodness for John Hughey!!

Rich Mounce http://takeoff.to/steeljam
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2004 8:49 am    

John is at the top of my list as a steel guitarist, and he and Jean are the greatest and most humble people one could ever hope to meet.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

John Hughey

Hendersonville, Tn. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2004 5:13 pm    

Well, I was just on the forum and stumbled up on this post.
Gene, Charles, Jerry & Donna, Terry, Rich and Roy; Thank you for all of the nice compliments.
The way I see it is, ones actions are the reflections of the people they associate with.
Again, Jean and I thank you so much.
John & Jean Hughey
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2004 7:59 am    

I have never in this lifetime heard anyone else with tone and taste that was like a raging passionate fire like John Huhgey's sound.In my opinion John is the best player on the planet,and his tone says it all.I went out last night and sat down behind a friend of mine's 71' Emmons,and started playing lost in the feeling.When i was through the lead singer in the band came up to me,and said i love that song,I wish we'd play that song.You know I have heard it said that Buddy Emmons is the steel guitar god in our world.Guess his favorite steel player is,U got it JH.
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2004 5:28 pm    

Well let's face it, John is the person that showed everyone where the upper range of the neck is on the pedal steel! "Hughey Land" The chills are still always there everytime I hear one of his songs!

[This message was edited by David Higginbotham on 12 September 2004 at 06:29 PM.]

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2004 8:51 pm    

I remember coming home from school in the early nineties and turning Vince Gill's music on and hearing John playing the steel guitar on Vince's songs. One day, I was listening to a song John had played on and I wondered if I could play the steel guitar. "Look At Us" came out way before I started playing steel and when I heard that song for the first time, the steel parts really amazed me. John is a great player! Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 10:28 am    

I love John's playing a lot but Jean is prettier . If I had a brother and sister I would want them to be like John & Jean.

[This message was edited by Buck Grantham on 14 September 2004 at 11:29 AM.]

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2004 1:22 pm    

Buck,
you are very correct, as a matter of fact Jean has always looked better than John, but she is his anchor. John is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, I was listening to him talk to some budding steel players at the Mobile show last year. He treated them like he had known them all his life, and like equals in the profession. John and Jean are both class acts that are examples of the Golden Rule. I will be looking forward to seeing them both at Ronnie's in Oct. I will also be looking forward to seeing you again too.

Mike