| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dickey Overby
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 12:47 pm    

Dickey Overby. WOW!!! I was so moved and blown away by his playing this weekend. A new hero gets added to my list.

Boy, Scotty sure does have a knack for picking the right band for that late-night Friday jam.

Dickey was an absolute highlight for me. And how about that '66 rosewood push/pull!

Brad Sarno
St. Louis, MO

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 6:24 pm    

Brad, I'm right there with you on Dicky! Killer tone through a RV3 and an old Peavey LTD. He sounded like two steel players at once sometimes, also noticed he only had 4 knee levers on that old guitar. I bought every CD they had there with him playing on it! Thanks to Scotty asnd all the gang for another fantastic convention!
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 6:33 pm    

I really enjoyed hearing Dickey play.
It was absolutely REAL KUNTRY, and that's the kind I like.
Makes me wanta give my ole '66 Emmons a big hug!

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 10 September 2004 at 08:56 PM.]

Jim Marconi

Richmond IL. / Summerland Key Fl. USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2004 8:19 pm    

Hey Brad...I also agree that he is a monster player and that push pull tone..WOW. I bet you are thinking twice about selling your 69 Emmons PP? Hope things went well with your Black Box sales at the show...I enjoyed meeting you...
Kind Regards
Jim
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 2:22 am    

Dyke, you're in for some mighty fine listening with all them cd's you bought. I've got most of them and wear them out!!!!
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 7:34 am    

I'm more a fan of jazz steel and the C6th sound in general, but I have to agree that Dickey Overby was one of the absolute highlights of the show this year. I only saw the Saturday afternoon set, but it was one of the most memorable sets I've seen. Wow indeed.

[This message was edited by Dirk B on 06 September 2004 at 08:34 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 8:40 am    

WOW!
emil noothout

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 9:51 am    

Did he use reverb, delay or a combination of these? I've listened to his recent recordings but i'm not sure what i hear.
Ron !

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 10:10 am    

Emil send me your e-mail adress please.I would like to know more about Dickey

Ron

[This message was edited by Ronald Steenwijk on 06 September 2004 at 11:10 AM.]

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 11:07 am    

Dickey used a '66 push/pull with an original pickup on the E neck. That fed a Hilton pedal into a Boss RV-3 set on #7 (just like Lloyd) so you could just barely hear the delay and that went into an old Peavey LTD with a Black Widow. I couldn't help but find out exactly what he had going on. It sounded so great. His tone reminded me of Mooney's. I had to ask him who where his inspiration came from. He said there are three bigg'ns; Jimmy Day, Ralph Mooney, and Buddy Emmons. Wow is right!

Brad Sarno
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 11:15 am    

Everywhere I went, people were saying "Did you hear Dickey Overby's set? WOW!". Seems that I always miss the hot event of the show. I guess he really lit the place on fire!
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 11:27 am    

Does mean I get to pat myself on the back for being ahead of the curve? I've loved his playing for years!!!!
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 12:05 pm    

That guy is the real deal guys! This is the honky tonk master of E9 for sure and tone to die for. I have to say his tone was way out in front of anything I heard there Saturday night. He makes use of open strings in places I never heard before (both treble and bass strings) and really could use the 2nd string lower to his advantage better than any I've heard ever. I bought the Honky Tonk Memories CD from him and it'll keep me busy for the next year and a very gracious gentleman too. If he's playing I'm going!
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 1:52 pm    

dicky overby and co. just too much. thanx dicky. bruce fischer

------------------
sho-bud super pro II and fender 6 string
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 4:27 pm    

Yeah, I thought Dickie was the highlite of the show, it doesn't get any better than that.
Thanks for letting me try the BB too, it sounds real good, now if I just had a little EXTRA money....
ebb

nj
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 6:35 pm    

can't say i didn't give you a heads up http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/006913.html
Chrissy Corson-Rigsby

Gifford, IL,
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 11:17 pm    

Dickey and the band Saturday night was one of the most inspiring, enjoyable shows I've ever heard. Makes me wanna move to Texas and play that kind of music every night. What a steel player, what a sound, what a band. WOW. Thank you Scotty!!!!!!
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 5:40 am    

I'd have to list Dickey Overbey, Justin Trevino and Jake Hooker among the highlights of the weekend for me.

I've only had a chance to play their new CD's once or twice, but, oh boy what great music!

That show by Jake Hooker-- with Dicky and Justin-- from 1-3:30 AM on Saturday morning was a killer.

------------------
HagFan

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 6:19 am    

Dicky.....WOW!!!. He alone was worth the price of admission. The early Sat AM show is the best wall to wall 2-1/2 hours of great country music I have ever experienced. My wife and I are really planning a trip to Texas just to hear them again. Bobby Flores (not since Tommy Jackson....), Justin Trevino, Jake Hooker, and DICKY OVERBEY. Dicky made the neck of his steel sound 3 miles wide. Awesome. Wouldn't it be "AWFUL" if they were back again next year?

Ben Rubright
Port Charlotte, FL
Bill Plemmons

Simpsonville, SC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 7:49 am    

This was my 27th consecutive convention and Dickey Overbey with Jake Hooker show in the Jefferson room and their Sat. night set is among the most awesome displays of pure country music I have ever heard. "Scotty Done Good"
Rich Mounce

Dunfermline, Il
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 9:13 am    

I had heard Dickey several years ago and he played fine but he has came on so much I can't believe...I agree with all the things that have been said here...I was unable to be at the Fri night show and seeing Dickey play on Sat knocked me completely out and everyone said "You think that was something should have seen Fri night show"...wish I had!!!!...

Chrissy - Don't move to Texas before our show...I am counting on you...LOL....

Rich Mounce http://takeoff.to/steeljam
emil noothout

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 10:34 am    

Ronald, my adress is enoothout@hotmail.com, i've no internet at home, so an answer can take some time. Another Overby-fan in Holland is Jelle Biel, (also a member) i believe.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 6:30 pm    

Dicky Overbey played one of the most powerful performances on steel I have ever heard. The influences of Day, Mooney, and Emmons come through, but Dicky Overbey has his own wonderful approach going. He simply milks every note. I bought some CD's of Jake Hooker and the Outsiders "Live". Jake Hooker on bass, Bobby Flores and Reggie Rueffer on twin fiddles, with Dicky Overbey on steel, Floyd Domino on piano, Jeff Croy on drums. This is country music like it used to be! I can't explain how wonderful the CD's are. For those who long for quality country music, order some CD's from Southland Records. Go to: SouthlandRecords.com I could go on and on how wonderful this band is. Buy every CD you can get your hands on that has Jake Hooker, Bobby Flores, and Dicky Overbey on it. Yes, Dickey Overbey was using a Hilton pedal and he made cold chills run up my back.
Thanks to Jake Hooker,Justin Trivino, and Dickey Overbey for the good things you said about my product.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 07 September 2004 at 07:35 PM.]

Jelle Biel

the netherlands
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 4:26 am    

When the band is COMPLETE i will sit on the "first row my eyes and ears in STEREO".

Jelle

[This message was edited by Jelle Biel on 08 September 2004 at 05:29 AM.]

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 7:45 am    

At the late-nite Jake Hooker jam one of my favorite things to watch were the faces of the many big pro's standing near Dickey and watching him play. Every time Dickey would do one of those LONG twisted decending slant slide things, you could just see the chills and laughter erupt from these guys. I thought Johnny Cox and Scotty were gonna explode. It was just a great sight.

Dickey's runs were like a fireworks finale that just when you think the bigness would subside, it got even brighter and bigger and more spectacular. Man that guy could milk a LOT of music out of just a few bars. And the way he plays behind the singer is as good as I've ever heard, ever.

Brad Sarno