| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Solo Steel Gigs
Larry Jones

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2005 9:14 pm    

hey guys i just did my first solo steel gig at a retirement home my partner who does the singing couldn,t make it so i thought what about solo steelguitar so i took the gig i was really scared . i thought i was going to be playing backgound music for there happy hour , but when i get there i find out they were expecting a show . there were about 50 people all in their hawaiian outfits all facing me . and to top it off the entertainment directer introduces me as welcome mr.larry jones and his amazing steel guitar i said to my self amazing? does it do someting that i don,t know about . so i start playing sand and about 3 more then stop and tell them about the steel guitar and they loved it one of the most beautiful sounds in the world right there in front of them . i played 3 slack key giutar songs then back to steel i played for one hour and ahalf it was a beautiful thing no singing no other instruments just steel and it worked and i even got paid . so the moral of this story is this be it pedals or no pedals the steel guitar is coming of age again don't be afraid to take some chances the world is ready to hear you and your amazing steel guitar.
Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 3:25 pm    

Great story Larry. Sounds like a fun gig but you must know a lot of tunes to play solo for an hour and a half! Did you even have a bass player or rhythm guitar?
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 3:45 pm    

Been there, done that. I know exactly what you felt before starting. The older groups love that music. Keep on steelin'!!!

Ron
Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 7:57 pm    

Larry, I play nursing homes, etc. in Reno. I play for about an hour. Like you I was scared stiff. But after a couple of tunes you begin to loosen up. I have also added some props to my show. I have two 5 foot plastic palm trees with the christmas lights on them to make the audience feel more like beig in hawaii. I put them on each side on me, and if possible have the venue turn the lights down a little. gives a great effect with the lights being on.If you can find them this time of year. I found mine in big lots by mistake, by just looking aroung for $25.00 a piece. Also play with rhythm tracks from Scottys Music, also a little western swing, and jazz to the show. Have fun I know I do.
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 8:05 pm    

Nursing homes are my favorite gigs. The audience is soooo appreciative, and they love it even when you make mistakes.

[This message was edited by Jeff Strouse on 28 August 2005 at 09:06 PM.]