| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steve Palousek tape..."Country & Jazz"
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2004 5:22 pm    

I don't often bestow kudos here, but since one of my recent acquisitions from the Forum catalog was this tape, and since I was so overwhelmed by it, I feel I owe it to Steve (and to Bobby) to say a few words.

Friends, I have most of the stuff in Bobby's catalog, and a boatload of other steel albums, CD's, and records going back 50 years, but I believe this one tops 'em all. Before getting this tape, my only exposure to Steve's playing was seeing him with Ray Price a couple of times. Little did I know how awesome a player he really was! It sure "knocked my hat in the creek", an I'll pro'bly be a while a findin' it!

Yep, it's that good!

There's stone country tunes, and some great jazz, as well. Steve does each with equal aplomb, and the production's a good as any you'll hear.

I rate this tape a "must have" for any pedal steeler...just to show you what can be done on this stupifying mechanical contraption that we all love so dearly.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2004 6:15 pm    

I'll second that Donny!
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2004 10:02 pm    

Steel Radio was playing a tune "The Shadow of Your Smile" and I couldn't get the player's name. It's the most knocked out version to date. Finally going through Scotty's web site and looking for all the players doing that tune, I ordered Steve's tape and BANG, there it was. Steve is among the least known awesome players. I wish this project had been on CD originally. It is primo.
Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 7:33 am    

Yup, Steve is as smooth as plate glass. He could grill an egg on the strings of his guitar without running on to the fretboard. Simply overeasy!

[This message was edited by Gary Dunn on 11 August 2004 at 08:35 AM.]

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 8:30 am    

Steve is one of my favourite players. His approach is unique! Very modern! I love that tape! Bob
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 10:29 am    

Yep..great stuff. That is why I was wondering why he never plays the conventions any more. BTW...his instruction tapes he did for Emmons Co. are still available and I think they are really good. They are what I used to get started playing something on the C-6 neck.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 7:15 am    

The reception to Steve's choice of material at a past ISGC was luke warm at best.
One very abstract jazz selection drew a smattering of applause from a handful people out of a crowd of 2500 plus.
I felt bad for him and I always wondered if the experience soured him on performing at steel conventions.
If he had performed something more mainstream, he would have been a huge hit with the crowd, because he is an awesome, awesome talent behind a pedal steel.

[This message was edited by David Cobb on 12 August 2004 at 08:16 AM.]