| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ...on the shoulders of giants.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 9:50 am    

When it comes to Hawaiian music on the steel guitar, Jerry Byrd had a unique style. Most of his recordings I like very much.

I've used Jerry's style of playing as the "kernel" on which I've patterned my own style. Although, I own {and sometimes play} a bakelite Rick, the sound of the Fender Dual 8 Professional, I like better.

More toward the trebel and a little more upbeat would best describe the sound of my style. But, I'm still looking for the perfect (well near perfect) amp. I'm using my Webb 6-14E, 4 ohm JBL, with the Selector on #3.

Please reply on how you developed your own style; especially, those who also like Jerry's style of Hawaiian music.

Many thanks in advance, Rick Collins

[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 11 August 2005 at 10:52 AM.]

Craig Prior

National City, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 8:18 am    

"...Please reply on how you developed your own style..."

Rick, I think the dearth of responses is due to not many people thinking they've developed their own style.

When I develop a solo I'll pattern my licks after my favorite players. If it's a tricone tune I'll ask myself (depending on the style of tune): what would Sol Hoopii or Bob Brozman do with this particular chord change? If it's a C6 tune I'll try to think like Greg Sardinha or Alan Akaka.

My own style? I guess you can't help but involve your own personality into the calculas... but my own unique style? I wish.

Craig
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2005 8:11 am    

Craig, I believe one approach to developing one's own style (but certainly not the only way) is to listen to a tune until you have the melody firm in your mind; try to play it on the instrument; and make enough changes so that the tune won't sound like the popular recording to another musician.

Things like modulation (changing keys at a selected place in the tune) and insertion of harmonics not in the original recording are a start. But, playing with a different tembre and trying to fit a rif or two (refrain) you've created as many places as you can (that sound good to you) is what you should try to achieve.

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2005 8:48 am    

Personally speaking I'm just kind of letting my instinct and style develope itself. I make it a point not to try and copy anybody period on the steel. When I want to learn a song I like I just plug it in and learn to play it my way. Right or wrong thats how I do it. So far its working......I think

At some point I'm sure I'll begin a finer critique of my style and fine tune things as I go.

Disclaimer; This is stricly from a green horns point of view.

Rick
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2005 5:40 pm    

In response to your question I submit the following: As many have done, I spent most of my life moving up to "BIGGER" amps and never found what I was looking for.
They were always to mushy or bassy....so cranked in more and more treble and never found "the sound".
When I discovered what "SMALL" can do for you, if you use it properly.....I was amazed at the fabulous sound, clearity, etc. I'm using a Rolla 8" and also a 10" and both really sound "BIG" with lots of body. High notes are well rounded and not ear piercing or thin like when too much presence or treble is applied.
Billy Robinson (with Red Foley) and Jerry Byrd were my early teachers. What I play and how it developed over the decades into what has become "my style" (if I may be so bold), just sorta happened naturally.
I NEVER attempt to play a tune with an effort to make it sound just like anybody. What comes out, good or bad, is "ME" and nothing more. I did want to capture Jerry's TONE and technique and am now at this day and age, satisfied that I managed to get about as close to that as I ever will.
THINKING SMALL........was my discovery of this lifetime.
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2005 3:31 pm    

Emulating another good players techniques and style is inherent and good in woodshedding, and in performing during the period a Player's own style is evolving. But evolve it should, and become the primary armature upon which emulation is played from. A Player developing their OWN style was one of Jerry Byrds chief pet admonitions; A jewel of advice for us to hear. It's no accident nor quirk that so many recognized accomplished Musicians do indeed express their distinct character of "style"(s).

.....IMHO.

Aloha,
DT~
Craig Prior

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2005 6:41 am    

Let me add a little to what I said above.

Apparently what is meant on this thread by one's own "style" is personal peculiarities of performance. Generally your performance repetoire consists of standards in a genre. But your "take" on the standards will inevitably be uniquely your own.

If that's the case then, sure, I have my onwn style. That might not be such a good thing, but I have my own way of playing things.

My point above is that I don't pretend to be a great original stylist. I try to play 'em so the average listener will say to him/herself, "That's a nice Hawaiian/Trad Jazz/Ragtime/etc. piece." What I don't want that listener thinking is, "This guy is from outer space!"

I am but a simple man with simple aspirations.

Craig.
Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2005 11:02 am    

I'd give at least a listen to traditional jazz from outer space...
Craig Prior

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2005 6:51 am    

>>>
I'd give at least a listen to traditional jazz from outer space...
>>>

Now that you mention it, so would I.
Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 7:01 am    

RICK, another thing you might want to try,in your quest for that perfect sound, is...simply changing the speaker in the amp.
I know some will disagree with me on this subject but I discovered years ago that (all other things being equal)changing from a 4ohm speaker to an 8ohm speaker can sure improve tone quality. All I am saying is; if you like JBL speakers stick with them but try an 8ohm in place of the 4ohm. Yes you will lose some power/volume but the quality you gain could be worth it. Generally speaking, the 4ohm speakers have a harsher,more abrasive sound than their 8ohm counterpart. I don't profess to know the reason why!?
~~W.C.~~
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 8:35 am    

Wayne thanks for that.

To achieve the tone on this Webb amp. (playing the Fender) near, to what sounds good to me, I must turn the treble all the way off, the mid on about 3&1/2 and the bass on about 4 __this on a 1 to 10 scale, of course.

This amp. is clean at high volume; but I must turn the tone shaping controls way, way back at practice volume, or it will be too muddy.

This amp. has 225 watts and a 4 ohm JBL; so what you say is probably correct about the 8 ohm speaker exchange.

I tried a Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb for a practice amp. But, no way __ after listening to this Webb, it sounds like a transistor radio in a coffee can __ just spoiled, I guess.

[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 23 August 2005 at 09:39 AM.]