| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lead-filled glass bars
Andy Barlo

Schererville, Indiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2005 4:12 pm    

After reading all the rants and raves posted on the lead-filled glass bars, I decided to try this bar myself. I hate to be the first one to give a negative comment on this subject but I was not impressed with it's performance.

First thing I noticed was that the sound quality was not as bright as with the steel bar. I had to turn up the volume to get the same loudness. Is this the case anyone else has noticed? Second, I did not notice any so-called "everlasting sustain". It seemed to be equal to the steel. Third, I got the same exact diameter and length as the steel bar I have been using and it appears to be lighter than the steel. (Did not weigh them)

I will say this though, that the glass slides a little cleaner and smoother.

Maybe its just me but I would like to hear if anybody else has noticed these same observations. But hey, if it works for you then by all means do your thing.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2005 4:27 pm    

I have 2, and can only comment to this extent; the sustain characteristic is not necessarily greater, but due to the somewhat lighter weight I would have expected it to be less than it is. It sustains far longer than we expect it to, therefore we might tend to "over-glorify" it's capacity. It is extremely sweet tone wise but might seem a bit quieter as the high end is not so brittle as with the steels. The main selling point to me is that it is FAR easier to grip, slant and pick up, and it is a mellower tone.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2005 5:03 pm    

How does it compare to the Red Rajah/Black Phoenix tonewise? From what I understand from these posts it may sound almost the same (mellower tone)?
Also,- is it as easy to hold as the RR/BP bars?

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 12:03 pm    

I'm going to get a glass bar without the lead in it. It will make it a lot easier to drink out of.

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 10 August 2005 at 01:06 PM.]

Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 6:21 pm    

Andy,
Thank you for your comments. I would just suggest that you use if for about a week or two then try your old bar again. There have been a few people say the same thing when they first try it. After a while they can't seem to play right without it. Dick Meis flat tore up his steel with one at a recent steel club meeting.

As I was writing this I am looking above my steels and see 23 different steel guitar bars on a shelf. Each one has a different look, sound or feel. We didn't want to do "the same ole thing" that everyone else does. I still use several of these bars when I am in the mood for a brighter, softer sound, etc. For the rear necks or faster stuff I still like my SP-2 because I trust it more. The majority of the time I use a 7/8X 3 1/4 lead- filled and love it. From some of the email I have got there are a few other bar collectors out there. Some people have ordered several different sizes and I know that two or three will end up on a shelf. That's ok too.

Bobbe said in a recent newsletter the 7/8 X 3 1/4 is the standard and the most popular but if you don't have good technique no bar will help. I think he was talking about me.

Please feel free to contact Bobbe or myself anytime and we would be glad to answer any of your questions.

Gary

------------------
JCFSGC,RMSGC,HSGA member
Boyett's Glass Bars

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 7:24 pm    

Gary, i am the guy that ordered the custom bar from you, that you {gulp} held up bobbe's order for. Thank You for getting mine done so quickly. It is amazing, i just can't put it down. I am going to order another next week...SO HOLD THAT ORDER TO!!!

[This message was edited by George Redmon on 10 August 2005 at 08:28 PM.]

Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 3:40 am    

Well you better hurry! The order is going out this Saturday. Have Danny call me.

Thank you!!!
Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 9:17 am    

Hi Gary,

I've been waiting for my glass bar since June 7th . . . could I get it before Christmas?
Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 2:14 pm    

I like the feel of this bar on the strings,
and in my hand. I think different bars create
different sounds, and it's good to have several to choose from.

GB
Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 3:04 pm    

Derrick,
Call Bobbe or Danny at SGN. I sent all of the custom bars out last week.Since I am not sure which one you ordered I cannot answer your question.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2005 4:05 pm    

quote:
I think different bars create
different sounds, and it's good to have several to choose from

Different bars create different sounds and different steel guitars produce different sounds.

Oh the magic of different sounds. That is why I have a collection of different bars (steel rounds and flats, and plastic bars, and even a wooden broom handle bar) and different guitars (D-8 Magnatone, D-8 Fender Stringmaster, D-8 Excel, S-8 Excel, 1934 Rickenbaker frypan (oh, what a sound those ricks make) a koa wood S-8 custom made, and a S-8 custom made with four tunings possible.

Aloha,
Don

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 11 August 2005 at 05:05 PM.]

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 1:25 am    

Gary,
I had ordered the basic Jerry Byrd size.
2-3/4 X 3/4

Thanks
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 3:56 am    

Get that man his bar, he's gonna love it . .

The Boyett Bars are great - they have a sweet tone, great sustain, and they stick to your hand.

I also think it's a good idea to have a variety of bars on hand. In addition to the Boyett Lead Filled Glass Bars, I use Jim Burden Hard Chrome Bullets, and Chuck Brattain Rajahs (black & red).
They each have their own unique qualities.

RA

Stan Townsend

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 9:32 am    

Quote:
I was not impressed with it's performance.

Mine didn't put on a performance...it just sat there. ???
I'm waiting for the GOLD-filled glass bar. How about it Gary?

[This message was edited by Stan Townsend on 12 August 2005 at 10:36 AM.]

Mike Ruffin

El Paso, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 9:38 am    

I just received my Boyett's bar and I like the way it plays. Compared to my Black Phoenix, it makes the highs sound more chime-like. To my ears that is a good thing. It also slides real slick!

Great product!
Ron Brennan

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 12:23 pm    

I'm in the Rick Alexander's corner of the BAR, (oop's) as well as some of the other's way of thinking.

I will use all three types, the Boyett's glass, Brattain's Black Phoenix and a Dunlop Chrome steel....they allow you different option's for the steel sound you want to produce.

IMHO, my favorite's are the black Phoenix and the new Boyett Glass.

They both have fantastic smooth charateristics, great sustain and they stick to your hand (& not in your mouth) as it should be.

I will use all three during a Gig. For me, if it's hard rock, it's Glass/Metal, for C&W, it's glass and for Hawaiian/Ballads it's the Phoenix. Enjoy & have fun this weekend. TX
rgds,
Ron

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's