| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bob Hempker -- Roy Clark Show
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 11:44 pm    

I caught up with Bobby Hempker at the Roy Clark Show here in Wolfville a few hours ago and he played his Emmons in fine fashion.
Roy let him do a solo on " I Love You so Much It Hurts Me " and he rendered a beautiful job!
Bob is a real friendly "chatter" and talked about his time on the road with the Loretta
Lynn etc. He has one more show in Nova Scotia and then back to Mo. for 2 weeks.
A few pics are at my site. Click on the Photo
banner when you get to my Website.
Address below.

------------------
http://www.houstonsteelman.com/RoyT/

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 16 April 2004 at 12:45 AM.]

Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 3:00 am    

Bobby is one of the best, and a pretty darn good guy on top of it.
Billy Peddycoart

champain,IL US.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 6:19 am    

Bob is a great guy, I had the pleasure of playing two show's with them last year at Nashville North, he put on a good show. If you get a chance check Bob out. Billy
Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 10:00 am    

Thanks! for the picture Roy. Now I know who I'm looking for Going to see the show in a few hours in Dartmouth. I hope he gets to do a solo or two.

------------------
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2004 1:02 pm    

Jack Musgrave,
Are you any relation to Dave Musgrave? If so, where's he at,& what's he doin'? I ain't seen him in YEARS!!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2004 2:21 pm    

Hey Roy,Bobby is a fine player, and a good guy, and a friend. I hope to catch up to him this year when we do Branson.

Smiley, Last I talked to David he was working at a car dealership in Springfield MO. I think his phone # is in the Springfield directory, Terry Bethel, or Tom Brumley would have it also...cya...Ronnie
Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2004 3:38 pm    

Yes, there is a family tree connection. Dave is retired now do to some past health problems. He still lives in Springfield and plays ocassionally on the weekends. I will tell him that you said hi.
Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2004 6:26 pm    

Thanks so much guys. I just got home from Canada. We were up there for 3 weeks. I enjoyed the tour. There seems to be more interest in steel players up there than there is in the states. Anyway, Roy, Bob and all, thanks. Ronnie, you'll be doing that same tour in May, according to the promoter. You'll enjoy it.

------------------
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 2:31 am    

Hi Bobby----Hope to catch you at a show there before our July show --if not--see you then -- Bill.
Terry Bethel

Hollister, Missouri (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 11:08 am    

Bobby Hempker is probably the most underrated and overlooked player in the steel guitar world.
I met Bobby in the early 70's when he went to work for Loretta Lynn. It was also the early day's for me with Mel Tillis. Over the years we worked a lot of shows together, and let me tell you, Bobby played his butt off.
Over the years, especially after he moved to Branson, yes I said Branson, we have become great friends. He knows his instrument well, and his playing has become tastier and better the last few years than it was in the 70's when I thought he was an incredible player.
Bobby I salute you for everything you have done in the steel guitar world.
If you get a chance to see him play, you will get to hear a true legend in the steel guitar community.
Terry Bethel
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 10:06 pm    

Bob is one of the classiest guys you could ever meet. I have 2 great memories when it comes to Bob. The first was in the early 80's when Conway and Loretta were at the Oakland Colloseum. I managed to talk one of the security dudes into getting the almighty Hughey man to come talk with me. While Mr. John was talking to me, I asked him who Loretta's steel player was (he was tuning up at the time) and he told me it was Bobby. He brought Bobby over to meet me. At the time I had no idea who he was. Boy was I impressed.

Then (I think it was the following year) He came in to the bar I was playing at here in Fremont called "Hidden Valley Ranch" along with Don Ballinger and Loretta's son (name escapes me now (not Kenny Starr)). I knew Conway and Loretta were in town that night. The waitress came up and said "Loretta Lynn's band was in the bar". We of course said "no way". So being the smart ass punks we were, we broke out into "When a Tingle Becomes a Chill". Every thing was fine until I looked to rear of bar and saw that familiar 'fro that Bobby was sportin' at the time. At that time, I fell to pieces. While Don and Lorteta's son came and jammed with us, Bobby chose not to play (even though we both played similar setups). I think it was to protect me from feeling worse than I already was. Being the gracious man he is, he reassured me of what a good job I was doing ( he was obviously not listening). Anyway, That was my first exposure to playing in front of a "steel guitar god". He gave me the courage to play many gigs along with Bobby Black (many times as a pair), who really made me work for my money.

So. if anyone ever asks me about my early influences or people who motivated me, Bobby would be towards the top of my list.

God Bless you Bobby. You mean a lot to me. Of course, with the many memories you have in your career, I don't expect you to remember any of this.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 10:31 pm    

A very fine player. Not bad for an ex-mailman!
Chat with him if you get a chance.

[This message was edited by Cal Sharp on 01 May 2004 at 11:45 PM.]

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 2 May 2004 1:44 pm    

I can't add much to what has been said other than the fact that I agree with these statements about Bob. I always enjoyed listening to him and visiting with him whenever we did a show with Loretta. Bob's a great player and person.

Chris "Tiny" Olson
Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 5:15 pm    

Hey, Terry, Tiny, Cal, and the rest. Man, I'm gonna get a big head if you guys keep that up. I really appreciate the accolades, and Terry the feeling is absolutely mutual. That goes for respect as a player and admiration and care as a true friend. I'll call you tomorrow, sometime. I have to leave tomorrow night for 10 days. Hope you and Pat are doing okay. I meant to check up on you two sooner, but the time just got away from me. Again, guys THANKS! It really means a lot to be respected by your peers.

------------------