| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Moon-eared' - 1985
clive swindell

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2004 7:33 am    

I have been reading through a series of articles by Jeff Newman in which he studies Ralph Mooney licks.

At the time, he produced a cassette with extracts from the Buck Owens records of the 1950's with Mooney playing steel.

Does anyone have a copy that I can have a listen to?
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2004 8:43 am    

I'd like to hear it too. The articles say contact him for a cassette. I know it's old, but I emailed him anyway and offered to pay or a copy.

That was several months ago. No reply yet.

------------------

-j0ey-
www.JoeyAce.com

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 26 March 2004 at 12:00 PM.]

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2004 10:08 am    

Let us know what you find out Joey. Thanks

------------------
Tommy Minniear
www.ntsga.com

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2004 1:17 pm    

Joey,
When I spoke to Jeff in St.Louis, last year, he said he wasn't going to answer or even look at his computer any more. He didn't explain why, so, I would call him instead.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2004 1:25 pm    

Jeff reads email. We've corresponded recently.
He refuses to read the Forum. Too bad.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2004 4:04 pm    

In regards to Jeff Newman refusing to look at the forum, I consider that as his loss. We all know some of the big name players will come on and comment and answer questions. I have always considered the steel guitar community a special group of guys and gals but there are a few who do not want to read or respond. That is their right but I wish they would voice their opinions like most of us do. This is a great website and I enjoy looking at all the topics here whether it be a pro or novice player. I wonder sometimes if egos plays a part in some of the players. I am not accusing just suggesting. Regardless if Jeff Newman looks at this forum or not he sure has my respect as a player and a teacher. I have always felt he is underrated as a player. I wish Jeff would change his mind and join in here on the forum but if he does not do so I still will watch and listen to him play.
clive swindell

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2004 12:44 am    

Hi Joey

I asked Jeff about the tape in Dallas and he said that he didnt have it anymore. I have looked at the Buck Owens CDs that are available and I cant find some of the songs that are in the article.

However, I have had an e-mail from someone who has a copy and has offered to send it to me so when I receive it I will let you know.
clive swindell

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 4:55 am    

I have managed to get a copy of the tape and guess what - all the songs that Jeff is demonstrating come from two LPs - 'Buck Owens sings Harlen Howard' and 'You're for me' from 1961 when Mooney was on steel.

Well - both of these LPs were re-issued on CD in 1995 and are available on amazon - take a look.

So if you want to hear early Mooney at his best and know why Jeff studied what he did now is your chance to buy the records which were out of print for so many years.

Jeffs 'Moon Eared' articles appeared in the PSGA newsletters in 1981 - there were 9 articles in total from what I can see and he shows you how to play Mooney style.