| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Instrument Company
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 11:00 am    

In recent days there have been questions about reliability and quality of customer service from one or more of the steel guitar builders. I'm inclined to think that all of the builders of pedal steel guitars do their very best to promote their products by building good instruments and providing good customer service.

However, late last Friday afternoon, I experienced a situation where one company went above and beyond normal customer service. That company is Sierra Instrument Co.

Before I go any further, I just want to state, based on my experience, Sierra guitars are extremely well made, ultra reliable instruments and I'm proud to own one.

Anyway, I was doing the sound check for one of our road gigs when I noticed that the gearless tuner mechanism on my 1983 Sierra SCM14 was not holding pitch on one of the strings. It only occured when a pitch-lowering kneelever was activated. Upon close inspection I saw that one of the components in the gearless system had a cracked aluminum extrusion. This was clearly an unusual case of metal fatigue and I didn't know if it would hold for the remaining two gigs on the run. I didn't have any choice. So I modified my playing to avoid the problem-inducing kneelever. (BTW: The guitar held up like a real trooper and I played the two gigs without a hitch.)

During a break in the sound check I called Sierra Instruments and talked to Tom Baker, Sierra's GM. Tom told me that based on the age of my instrument, I had one of the first Sierra gearless guitars. The problem was that Sierra no longer inventoried the part I needed. Tom indicated that he had never experienced any other gearless tuners with the metal fatigue I described. Inspite of this problem, Tom promised to search through Sierra's "old parts" inventory in hopes of finding the part I needed. Two hours later, I called Tom to find out if he had any luck. Not only did he find the parts I needed, he also boxed them up and arranged for a Saturday morning (overnight, special handling) delivery to my home. While I was on the phone with him, Tom offered to me extensive technical advice on the repair procedure. When I got back home, the parts were waiting for me. I asked Tom to send up to 14 of these parts (one for each string on my guitar). When I started the repair I realized that an extra one was shipped. 15 altogether.

A few minutes ago I called Tom to thank him for his prompt service and mentioned that I'd send the fatigued part for his inspection. I also noted that I received the extra part. His response: "I must have miss-counted. Go ahead and keep it." Thank-you, Tom.

Chuck Wright and Don Christensen can be proud knowing their legacy is secure in the capable hands of Mr. Tom Baker and the new company owner. Bravo, Sierra Instrument Company!

If anyone else has a similar story about Sierra Instruments or any other PSG maker, let's hear it. These builders deserve positive recognition.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 11:56 am    

Ditto to all of the above.Don and Tom have bent over backwards to get parts,strings and what-have-you to me at home and at various stops along the road.
Case in point - when I was trying to solve the much discussed problem of lowering and returning to a pre-lowered string as in the case of the locking E strings on a universal,I detected flexing in the aluminum cross shaft and decided I would like to try a shaft made from a harder metal.I called Don and after discussing my theory,he had a custom made hard steel cross shaft to me within two days - no charge.Problem solved. Thanx again guys. -MJ-
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 1:12 pm    

I bought a used guitar from Sierra/Pam Price that arrived w/a broken pick-up. Rather than tie up the guitar for a UPS inspection they sent me a new pick-up at their cost, which I felt was very responsive of them. Above and beyond their obligation.
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 2:04 pm    

I have found Tom to be amazingly patient when I call and try to explain as best I can over the phone whatever problem is bugging me. I am always conscious of how much of his time I am taking up & of how little he gets in return financially (a few knee levers and new shoulder bolts so far). He is a credit to the business.
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 2:48 pm    

Those are just a few of the reasons I've been a Sierra man for over 22 years! Hugh
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 5:10 pm    

Top quality products, produced by top quality people. They have a rock solid reputation, built on years and years of helping people and doing the right thing. One of the best designed and built steel guitars. Just my opinion.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 7:04 pm    

Thank you guy's, We try our best to keep everyone happy, Tom is a GREAT big part of Sierra, Tony and Pam are so very lucky as Don Was, to have Tom Baker!!!!

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra Guitars
LQQK
Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300
S.L.T.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 7:30 pm    

I purchased a used Sierra which had a few problems. Tom treated me like I was the original purchaser and provided parts and support far beyond what one would expect as a second owner. I know there are other PSG mfgs. who offer good support, but I feel Sierra is the TOPS!!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 7:36 pm    

There is no finer person than "TOM" at Sierra Instrument Co. A very fine young man.
Always displays a pleasant and cordial attitude and is really dedicated to the steel guitar.
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 8 May 2002 7:39 am    

I just wanted to add that I've been playing Sierra guitars for 20 plus years and they've always been just great people to deal with... They don't hear from me very often but when I need them for something they always come through! The company is in good hands with Tom Baker; he knows his stuff and will bend over backwards to help.
Richard E. Lee

Macedon, NY, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2002 11:27 am    

I couldn't help but weight in on this about Sierra.
I have had a couple of occasions to have dealing with Sierra, after buying my D10. I have had the same great experiences in both cases.
I have been exposed to the Service Departments of one of the leading Fortune 500 companies, and can say first hand,,that these folkes at Sierra, could teach a these huge companies a lesson about Service.
I'm new at this Steel Guitar business,and have no experienc with Sierra's competition, but Sierra could manufacture garbage can lids,,and be successful. My hats off to TOM and the folkes at Sierra!
Phillip Lee Thompson

Canby, Oregon
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 2:55 pm    

Hey David, I am so very happy to hear that Tom Baker is still at the wheel of Sierra. In 1998,Tom built me a Custom Session D-10 with 9 flr and 5 kn with E9th top,and E6th bottom. Later,we changed the E6th to C6th. Tom's patience is legend and the man is a GENIUS at turning your ideas into playable reality. Did they re-open the Portland shop,or are they now in Calif.as I suspect ?? We moved to Arizona sometime back and I lost track of Tom and Don. I need the new Sierra address and phone number -- many thanks, Phil Thompson
John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 3:59 pm    

Phillip
Take a close look at the date of the Post previous to yours, The whole thread is almost two years old.
Sorry

Sure would like to hear what is happening at Sierra in 2004.
John

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 14 April 2004 at 05:01 PM.]

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 4:16 pm    

My Christmas wish:

Sierra come back.

Shobud revived.
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 11:54 am    

I, too have many pleasant memories of this fine instrument and can attest to the durability and joy of being a Sierra owner. Glad to hear they are back and best wishes to all Sierra (past & present) players.

Bronco Billy
Phillip Lee Thompson

Canby, Oregon
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 5:34 pm    

John Floyd, yes, I was so excited at what I thought was current news on my Man Tom Baker,that I over-looked the date of the thread.
Please,all my Sierra Brothers,please keep your ears and eyes open for any new bits of news. Drop it in here,or please e-mail me,
pnpthompson@yahoo.com. Many thanks, Phil